cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BankAmericard Travel Rewards questions / comments?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BankAmericard Travel Rewards questions / comments?

I'm looking at the BankAmericard Travel Rewards card

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/bankamericard-travel-rewards-credit-card.go

$0 annual fee

0% FTF

EMV (Chip & Sig)

Visa Signature

1.5% points

1. Who knows the points-redemption chart when converting to cash? I know it starts at 2500points equals $15, but does it eventually go to 1pt-to-$0.01 as you go higher (like WorldPoints, 25k = $250)?
  2. For the Preferred Rewards bonus, it overrides the 10% annual bonus. Is the Preferred Rewards bonus post immediately (at month-end when statement cuts), or annually?
  3. Does this card make sense if you qualify for the Preferred Rewards Platinium or Platinium Honors?

On Preferred Rewards Platinium, you get a 50% bonus, which makes it 2.25%

On Preferred Rewards Platinium Honors, you get 75% bonus, which makes it 2.625%

Don't see any other card that offers such a high (2.25-2.625%) for normal spending (outside of category/restaurant/gas station), assuming you travel enough using cash to redeem the points at a 1-to-1. Only cards that beat this for normal spend would be points/miles card that you can convert to airline/hotel miles and redeem a $10k business class flight/high end hotel for $1k worth of points

(Assume the 50-100k Preferred Rewards requirement is held in securities/IRA that has to be put somewhere, not cash earning a paltry 0.1%. The 30-100 free Equity/ETF trades per month is a nice cherry on the top too)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: BankAmericard Travel Rewards questions / comments?

FrequentMiler seemed to like it with Plat Honors, if you can put the cash there.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2014/08/20/up-to-2-625-back-for-timeshares-fortune-tellers-and...

Message 2 of 9
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I just received an offer for this card from BofA (actually the 3rd one this year) which offered 15k bonus points (after $500 spend), no AF, no FTF, and a 12 month 0% interest rate.  I currently have two BofA cards (since 2008) and they've been always great work with.  I don't have any deposit accounts with either BofA or Merrill (I like Vanguard a lot) so the bonus wouldn't really apply to me.  Haven't decided if I want this card or not as I have WAY TOO MANY already.  I do like these type of travel cards though as the redemption policies are pretty transparent and easy to use.  Airline and hotel cards are really only good for the sign-up bonuses.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 9
Shock
Established Contributor

dont get this card unless you will be redeeming for travel. 

iirc, the cash back conversion is fifty cents on the dollar..

so if you have 10k points, its a 50 dollar redemption. not entirely sure though so please dont quote me

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shock wrote:

dont get this card unless you will be redeeming for travel. 

iirc, the cash back conversion is fifty cents on the dollar..

so if you have 10k points, its a 50 dollar redemption. not entirely sure though so please dont quote me

That sounds pretty cruddy.

At least my Blue Sky Preferred is 1.33% basic purchases when redeemed for travel and 2.66% on restaurants, hotels, airfare.

Have to redeem in increments of 7500 to make it worthwhile though..

Message 5 of 9
genz

I have this card and consider it a plain 1.6% everything card. Many things count as travel. Rental car, zipcar, parking, public transit, taxi, air fare, hotel, uber. You can erase all such charges (fully or partially) posted within a year. You can also erase multiple charges together if each don't reach $25. Redemption is 1 point = 1 cent. You can redeem any number of points above 2500.
Message 6 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@genz wrote:
I have this card and consider it a plain 1.6% everything card. Many things count as travel. Rental car, zipcar, parking, public transit, taxi, air fare, hotel, uber. You can erase all such charges (fully or partially) posted within a year. You can also erase multiple charges together if each don't reach $25. Redemption is 1 point = 1 cent. You can redeem any number of points above 2500.

Right, but the interest is if you have the deposits to earn Plat/Plat Honors rewards where it becomes 2.625 everywhere.

Message 7 of 9
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I think the Platinum Rewards makes the BoA TR card the best CB card you get.   It is not just the relatively high rewards rate, it is the fact it is uncapped.

It wouldn't be worth it, if they required the qualifying funds be in a low/no interest savings/CD.  But they allow you to use ETF's to qualify for the reward tiers.  I am in the process of moving some of my Roth IRA funds from VG to ME.  Then in 3 months once I qualify for the Plat Honors, I will app for the TR CC.   I can't tell for sure if the sign up bonus qualifies for the 75% extra bonus.  However, I am going to wait until I am at the Plat Honors level before app'g for the card.

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but BoA will also pay you cash to move new funds to a ME account.  It starts out at $100 for 20k in new funds and tops out at $1000 for 200k in new funds.   It does take 6 months to get the cash and it is taxable, though.  If you are interested, be sure to search for the higher sign up bonus.  The default one maxes out at $600.

The only card that might be better is the old Amex Blue Cash.   But I just don't want to mess with buying gift cards to get the higher rewards rate.  Plus the spend $6500 before opening the 5% categories just doesn't sit well with me.

Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

I think the Platinum Rewards makes the BoA TR card the best CB card you get.   It is not just the relatively high rewards rate, it is the fact it is uncapped.

It wouldn't be worth it, if they required the qualifying funds be in a low/no interest savings/CD.  But they allow you to use ETF's to qualify for the reward tiers.  I am in the process of moving some of my Roth IRA funds from VG to ME.  Then in 3 months once I qualify for the Plat Honors, I will app for the TR CC.   I can't tell for sure if the sign up bonus qualifies for the 75% extra bonus.  However, I am going to wait until I am at the Plat Honors level before app'g for the card.

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but BoA will also pay you cash to move new funds to a ME account.  It starts out at $100 for 20k in new funds and tops out at $1000 for 200k in new funds.   It does take 6 months to get the cash and it is taxable, though.  If you are interested, be sure to search for the higher sign up bonus.  The default one maxes out at $600.

The only card that might be better is the old Amex Blue Cash.   But I just don't want to mess with buying gift cards to get the higher rewards rate.  Plus the spend $6500 before opening the 5% categories just doesn't sit well with me.

I agree that it is a very good card, but for me the BC still wins.  If you dp mess with buying gift cards, the $6,500 theshold is not an issue, met in one or two days.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.