Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankcard industry option fico

tag
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Bankcard industry option fico

I was recently approved for Citi Dividend World Mastercard and their fat sign on bonus.  They approved me with a score of 753 EX based on a range of 250 to 900.  Huh?  So obviously I do a little research and find out about this bankcard industry option fico.

My research revealed that they first assess your regular FICO and then they apply a bankcard specific bonus to the score.  Well, that's what one link said at least.

I figure, if that is true, then my true FICO can't be anything lower than 703, right?  Any more plain english explanations would be appreciated Smiley Happy.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Bankcard industry option fico

In another article I read I an article  in  the Credit in the news section of the forum. Per my reading of the article this would be a FICO 08 score (see page 3)

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Fico-8/td-p/1032760

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 6
GregB
Valued Contributor

I don't know that we can assume it is a FICO 8 based score since the EX FICO 04 (called v2 by EX) score is also 250-900 range. That post referenced also claims FICO 8 has 16 "buckets", which I know to be incorrect. That makes me wonder about the rest.

It does seem to be true that your AU Industry Score is affected by up to 50 points from the underling "Classic" FICO. It is run through the normal 10/12 FICO Scorecards, or buckets if you want to call them that, and then through two more to get your AU Industry FICO.

More than 50 points change SEEMS to be two differences: First the difference between FICO 04 and FICO 08. Second the AU Industry difference.

Caveat: This is mostly based on the large amount of info I have on EQ and TU Auto Industry Scores and a small amount of info I have on EX.

ETA: It is more likely that Auto and BankCard Industry scores are moving to FICO 8 since they don't have as much regulation holding them back like mortgage scores do. They are more free to move to improved models.

Message 3 of 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

GregB, you never cease to amaze me.

The research you do is outstanding, I don't know if this is a part of your daily business routine or not, but it's awesome, nonetheless.

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 6
GregB
Valued Contributor

Uborrow-Upay,

You could mostly thank my clients that paid for most of the research since they paid me by the hour to work with the CRAs. I have the time to help people on here and another board since I am frequently on-call and stuck on a computer with nothing to do but wait for the next client with a problem......Good thing I don't like video games.

Message 5 of 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@GregB wrote:

Uborrow-Upay,

You could mostly thank my clients that paid for most of the research since they paid me by the hour to work with the CRAs. I have the time to help people on here and another board since I am frequently on-call and stuck on a computer with nothing to do but wait for the next client with a problem......Good thing I don't like video games.

Good for all of us, for sure!

However, I do suggest that you'd be highly proficient at "Whack-A-Banker", or some such...  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.