Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy and Credit Cards

tag
credit911
Contributor

Bankruptcy and Credit Cards

I have a couple general questions for you all. I starting to do some research into getting a few credit cards for me and the wife. Our BK was discharged 11/07 (chapter 7).

For those who declared BK, how long after that did you all start getting credit cards?
What cards did you get?
What is your opinion of the cards you did get?
Any advice on what cards to try for and which ones to stay away from.

I appreciate any input, I have been doing some research on my own, but I am hesitant to start applying for a bunch of cards with only high hopes. Thanks in advance for any help.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy and Credit Cards

I didn't aply for credit cards until 5 years after my BK because I didn't know I could. When I found out I could aply for cards, my average FICO scores was 672. Smiley Very Happy
Anyway, Orchard was the first card and is prpbably the easiest but with a 672 I didn't have to go that route....but didn't know that either.
Try Hooters for a starter. If you kept some car payments you may be able to get in there. Other than that, maybe Orchard will get you back in the game.
Message 2 of 3
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy and Credit Cards

I got a 5K limit from Capital One just out of BK7. Not too shabby but the card was only eligible for $300 CLI's even 6 years later. I closed it last year. I would give them a shot and maybe you could get lucky with a decent limit from Household as well. Don't apply for too many of these subprimers they look nasty on the report a few years down the road.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.