cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy and then high limit cc's? how?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy and then high limit cc's? how?!

I'm a perfect example!!!

2012 went on dmp for 11 accounts. Paid off another 5 or 6 on my own which stayed open. Lost my job. Failed to pay off sears home depot and shell mastercard. Stuck them with about 9k.

Im in Toy limit hell, amex card opened 500 sl, bbva nba amex sl 1500. Honorable thing is what you do in human relationships. screw over Banks and declare bankruptcy is what you do with banks. I totally learned my lesson I shoulda declare bankruptcy.
Message 11 of 27
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

Justagirl73,

I have not app'd at any of those because I was afraid of being denied due to the collection on my account since chase denied me a CLI with it. only a $47 collection that is from 2011. 1 late payment in ALL of my history. I guess I haven't tried to get credit too much in the last 3.5 years because I had a mortgage in 2012 and just sold my house this august and I had 2 car loans on my credit until recently when I paid one off and have another i'll be paying off end of this year before we move to Switzerland. I won't have an Auto loan on my credit which i'm worried about, even though we won't be in a country that has a credit system anywhere near resembling the US. I want to app for a card with no FTF's as I'll still be an american citizen living in a foreign country as an Expat. Overall since i started my credit 12 years ago, I haven't had many credit cards, and none with high limits. only store cards i have high limits on. Jared $4000, Nordstrom $2500. My highest CL on a credit card is $2000 for my chase freedom and $1800 for my Wells Fargo Platinum..both have 3.5 years long with only 1 auto credit limit increase. I wasn't taught at a young age about credit much. I wish they would require it since it's a huge part of one's life in the US. I'm 32 now and have had a mortgage, which i paid for 3.5 years on time every time but it was an FHA loan because my limited credit and 640 FICO score. I've had many auto loans and never missed a payment or defaulted. I have one collection for $47 and supposedly 3- 30 day lates that I can't find on my credit report. I only see 1, but the summary says 3. I feel like all the reports we have access to as consumers aren't even using the system that all lenders use to pull scores. It's quite frustrating. I've never app'd for a 'beginner' card. I don't want all these inquiries on my CR's until i can get all the dirt cleaned up which is VERY little. Not going to chance anything. Just being patient 'in the garden' as they call it. But I don't know how I'm going to be able to app for CC's while living abroad. I don't want to screw my chances when/if I come back to the US by not staying on top of my credit here. I really would love to get CLI'd on my Chase Freedom to get to the Chase Sapphire level so I can have a card with no FTF's.

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to add that I had a 722 fico for about three weeks last year. I hover even 700 with high care credit balance. what good is it when you're walking around with proverbial face tattoo
Message 13 of 27
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

That $47 is a nuisance collection, anything under 100 is considered such. I would settle it though prior to apping for more. 

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 14 of 27
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm a perfect example!!!

2012 went on dmp for 11 accounts. Paid off another 5 or 6 on my own which stayed open. Lost my job. Failed to pay off sears home depot and shell mastercard. Stuck them with about 9k.

Im in Toy limit hell, amex card opened 500 sl, bbva nba amex sl 1500. Honorable thing is what you do in human relationships. screw over Banks and declare bankruptcy is what you do with banks. I totally learned my lesson I shoulda declare bankruptcy.

Totall agree with fordguy89, BK is definitely the faster option for credit recovery (not recommending BK and there are other considerations other than credit score recovery).

My personal story is that I was finishing grad school in 2009; had an excellent job lined up right until the company went into bankruptcy in late 2008 before I could join.  I struggled to stay current with all my expenses, but two years later, my industry hadn't recovered, I hadn't been able to land full-time work and burned through all my savings.  In 2010 I had to let all my cards go.  It was about 3 years before I settled everything in chargeoff, and around 2015 I got my first unsecured credit after the crisis.  It's taken another 1-2 years since then to build my limits back up, and I'm about 6 months away from the last baddies from 2010 dropping off my report, and at that time I'll try to get back in with the remaining creditors that I burned.

I too have noticed that recovery from BK is much quicker.  People have reported getting cards within days or weeks after their BK went final, and quite a few people have built up huge limits within 2-3 years of BK.  Certainly, there are some lenders that will not let you back in for the duration while a BK shows on your report, but many will let you in within 2 years of less, especially if you didn't burn them originally.  I often wonder how things would have gone for me if I filed for BK back in 2008-2009 when my job evaporated, rather than fight for several years burning through savings, only to go through a much more protracted recovery process.

The intuitive thinking is that lenders would reward people for fighting to pay off their obligations, even if they ultimately fail; rather than throwing their hands up and surrendering through BK, but that's definitely not the case.  For anyone that is struggling and after careful budgeting and review determines that there's no path to get out from under their debt, BK is probably a better solution than prolonged struggles.

Message 15 of 27
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

The problem is it's already been paid! Should've said that before. ATG Credit won't take it off. I call them and ask nicely their reporting policies to the CRA's and they get angry and raise their voice and act like $47 is a crime even after my account is a zero balance. They got so mad at me questioning their policy last time and telling them that they haven't reported anything to the CRA's that they hung up on me. What other route can I go to get it off? I'm at a loss.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to Cap1 website and pre-qualify. Let me know if Venture or QS is pre approved. 

Message 17 of 27
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

Where do I pre-qualify on their site? Not finding it.

I found some pre-qualify thing and filled it out. It gave me the following results:

1) Capital One: Quicksilver one

2) Capital One: Platinum

What should I do?

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MugenCivicSi83 wrote:

Where do I pre-qualify on their site? Not finding it.

I found some pre-qualify thing and filled it out. It gave me the following results:

1) Capital One: Quicksilver one

2) Capital One: Platinum

What should I do?

Nothing, I wanted to see if you would be offered one of the higher tiered cards. But at least you know that you could get a QS1 if you wanted it (no FTF). Many rebuilders start with that card and it can actually grow. In some cases you can pc it to the QS. 

Message 19 of 27
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

Ok. But in my experience every time i've applied in the past i've been denied. I just can't figure it out. Can I send send someone all the info on my CR? It's 42 pages long!

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.