Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banks and their shady reporting habits

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Banks and their shady reporting habits

Walmart.  After I make a purchase, it's pending for a week, after it finally posts, I go to pay, the payment is pending for a week, another 2 weeks later and I have that credit available to use.  Takes me about all month to get a payment completely through.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 11 of 23
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

ive had the card for a month and Walmart already did this to me. I had to call them to release available credit. I think I'll only use card in first two weeks of billing cycle and then send in payment. I don't trust them. Are all GE cards like this?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 23
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Walmart.  After I make a purchase, it's pending for a week, after it finally posts, I go to pay, the payment is pending for a week, another 2 weeks later and I have that credit available to use.  Takes me about all month to get a payment completely through.

this is why i don't use this card often.  small purchases here and there to show usage for future CLI, but nothing more.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 13 of 23
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

my payment cleared in total of 3 days. 

did transaction thursday. 

pending 

paid friday through bank bill pay. 

pending all weekend(charges) 

had a -7.37 balance for 3 days and today it was all 0 balance. 

i wonder if this means ill get a statement for once. 

as for other banks cap one held my limit down for about 10 days when i made a 2k payment over the phone. 

but they had no problems taking it out of my account..

other then that most have been speedy for me. 

amex posted almost in real time. 

freedom is usually next day. 

and my bank cards are next business day. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 14 of 23
knj601
Established Member

Wal-Mart always holds my payments. They post it to my current balance, but it is not available until about a week later. Capital One also constantly holds my payments, but I do make large payments. I also do the bill pay through my bank because I want the money out of my account asap! I paid off a few of my cards down to 0, and I feel like it took years to show on my reports, but then again it may be that I am just watching them like a hawk now. 

Current: TU (Wal-Mart) 640 EQ (myFICO) 627 EX 628 as of 10/12
BK Discharged 08/10 (The dark times)
NavChek (5000) Cap1 (2500 & 1000) hhGregg (1500) Amazon (900) & WalMart (500) Lowes (300)

Goal: No apps until 07/2013 & 700's across the board
Message 15 of 23
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Some of that is automatic. It used to be that your cc charges never posted for a week or two after the transaction. Now with electronic batching from the vendors/retailers, much more is real time. It really helps the cc companies combat fraud and over the limit issues. Yes, I too have noticed that payments do seem to appear  a week or so after they are made on my cc report. However, make no mistake, internally with the CC company they are tracking you daily. Some larger retailers even batch their sales hourly. You must remember that the merchant gets his/her funds a few days after the charge is made. It is not immediate. So the more often they batch out (report) the better their cash flow and the faster a cc company can stop/locate a stolen card.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 16 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

My payments post quickly with most creditors....

But their reporting to the credit bureaus lol otoh is slow, esp when I reduce a balance by a substantial amount
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 23
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 18 of 23
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
ive had the card for a month and Walmart already did this to me. I had to call them to release available credit. I think I'll only use card in first two weeks of billing cycle and then send in payment. I don't trust them. Are all GE cards like this?

It's been my experience that they are. They *really* want to report a balance. I have no idea why. 

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 19 of 23
GregB
Valued Contributor

In my extensive experience, they don't really do this on CC accounts. Are you looking at store accounts or something?

I've tracked thousands of CC updates and this has never happened. I continue to log 60+ updates per month on my own accounts.

Some will do a mid cycle update with a change like credit limit, address, etc. Some will report if you go over the limit.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.