Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Advice

tag
aad041109
Established Member

Barclay Advice

Hi All,

I just need some advice. I got my Barclay Rewards card exactly 6 months from today. I recieved my 6th statement today, but there was no luv from Barclay. My limit was originally approved for $500, but recon gave me a $1k limit. I charged about $2k per month and always PIF before the statement cut (no more than $10-20 balance). Do you think I should wait another month for some CLI luv from Barclay or should I just try to get the Traveocity card (that I wanted from the begining) and then also ask for a manual CLI on both?

Thanks for the advice!

Starting Score: 520s (BK7 in 09/08)
Current Score: EQ 676, TU 662 (MyFico Scores)
Goal Score: 700 Club

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge | In the Garden until 10/2013 | Last App in 04/13 (Barclay Card & Cap1 CLI)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay Advice

@aad041109 wrote:

Hi All,

I just need some advice. I got my Barclay Rewards card exactly 6 months from today. I recieved my 6th statement today, but there was no luv from Barclay. My limit was originally approved for $500, but recon gave me a $1k limit. I charged about $2k per month and always PIF before the statement cut (no more than $10-20 balance). Do you think I should wait another month for some CLI luv from Barclay or should I just try to get the Traveocity card (that I wanted from the begining) and then also ask for a manual CLI on both?

Thanks for the advice!

Give it another month IMO

Good luck

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I didn't get an increase until my card was open for a year.

Message 3 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I tried various attempts (in vain) to get an auto CLI out of Barclays, but nothing worked in my case.  I tried heavy usage, PIF multiple times for a few months, carrying a $20 balance (which was about 5% util), then I upped it to 25% util and nothing.  I opened new accounts with other lenders, which I now know was most definitely the reason.  I ended up closing the card for various reasons, most specifically the effort I put forth trying to get an increase.

My $0.02 - I really think it comes down to no new accounts and carrying a ~20% balance only on your Barclays card for a solid 6-12 months.

Message 4 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I applied for a second Barclays card (SallieMae Rewards) 4.5 months after applying for the Priceline.com (instant approval).

Priceline was $1500, and SallieMae was $1600. I suspect I won't be getting an auto CLI anytime soon, but I may request one online in another month or so. I'm OK either way, since I really don't need a CLI, its just that they started out as my lowest cards.

It all comes down to how good your TU score is, how much you've been using their card, and whether you mind taking another HP on TU. I plan to apply for a couple cards after Xmas (assuming Chase Freedom has a good category in Jan), but since they won't be pulling TU I'm OK with trying for a probably-futile CLI.

PS: I hear the Chase Freedom card is blue.

EDIT: I did get a auto CLI after the 6th statement. The Priceline went from $1500 -> $2800, an 86.7% increase. Applying for the second Barclay card didn't jinx it.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@B335is wrote:

I tried various attempts (in vain) to get an auto CLI out of Barclays, but nothing worked in my case.  I tried heavy usage, PIF multiple times for a few months, carrying a $20 balance (which was about 5% util), then I upped it to 25% util and nothing.  I opened new accounts with other lenders, which I now know was most definitely the reason.  I ended up closing the card for various reasons, most specifically the effort I put forth trying to get an increase.

My $0.02 - I really think it comes down to no new accounts and carrying a ~20% balance only on your Barclays card for a solid 6-12 months.

I did get an auto-CLI out of Barclays after 6 months, but it still made it my second lowest CL.   I cancelled it after a while as I had better cards (Fidelity Amex, 2% on everything, making Rewards useless) and they seemed unwilling to do anything like make it a World card (the new CL was $7.2K).

But as always hard to tell.  My original CL ($4.7K) was my lowest for 20 years, but earlier I had got a decent ($18K) CL on their US Air card (cancelled before I applied for the Rewards).  And last week my wife applied for the Sallie Mae and got a reasonable $12.5K limit, so it is hard to know how they make their decisions!

Message 6 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I did get an auto-CLI out of Barclays after 6 months, but it still made it my second lowest CL.   I cancelled it after a while as I had better cards (Fidelity Amex, 2% on everything, making Rewards useless) and they seemed unwilling to do anything like make it a World card (the new CL was $7.2K).

But as always hard to tell.  My original CL ($4.7K) was my lowest for 20 years, but earlier I had got a decent ($18K) CL on their US Air card (cancelled before I applied for the Rewards).  And last week my wife applied for the Sallie Mae and got a reasonable $12.5K limit, so it is hard to know how they make their decisions!

Wow 20 years and they wouldn't give you the World upgrade?  They sure are a tough one to understand.  That Sallie Mae is a sweet card though, congrats to DW!

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

No! I meant that the CL I was given on that card was the lowest CL I had had for 20 years.  I only had the card 8 months before cancelling.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.