Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Apple Financing question

tag
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Barclay Apple Financing question

Hey all,

My wife was approved for a Barclay Apple Financing card about a year, year and a half ago. It is a visa, and if you go to Apples website now, they show a silver chip card with Apple "rewards", my wife must have the older version which is a non-chip, all white Visa card. We ended up not using this card at Apple and just held on to it.

I want to make a purchase now, but I am very confused about the 0 interest financing. If you apply for the new card, it says use it within 30 days to be eligible for interest free financing. Does that mean these "Apple financing" cards are only good one time for that deal? No where does it indicate that "paying with your Apple financing by Barclay results in 0 interest." So I was curious if anyone here knew the deal before I called both Apple and Barclay to get the scoop.

It doesn't make much sense to brand a card that can only be used for its branding within 30 days, so hopefully I'm wrong or missing something. Thanks.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Hubcapjw
Contributor

Re: Barclay Apple Financing question

When I got the apple card last May, I bought an iPad air with the zero percent deal. I then called in to ask about if other charges I made on the card besides Apple if there would be an apr on those purchases.  Other purchases do have an Apr. I then asked that once my apple purchase was paid off if they had similar deals with Apple with the zero percent offer.  The CSR told me that if I was gonna make an apple purchase to just call in to see what offers I could get.  So, I'm assuming that all it would take would be a phone call to see if they can offer you something.  I find that this bank is very is to work with.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sphinx313 wrote:
Hey all,

My wife was approved for a Barclay Apple Financing card about a year, year and a half ago. It is a visa, and if you go to Apples website now, they show a silver chip card with Apple "rewards", my wife must have the older version which is a non-chip, all white Visa card. We ended up not using this card at Apple and just held on to it.

I want to make a purchase now, but I am very confused about the 0 interest financing. If you apply for the new card, it says use it within 30 days to be eligible for interest free financing. Does that mean these "Apple financing" cards are only good one time for that deal? No where does it indicate that "paying with your Apple financing by Barclay results in 0 interest." So I was curious if anyone here knew the deal before I called both Apple and Barclay to get the scoop.

It doesn't make much sense to brand a card that can only be used for its branding within 30 days, so hopefully I'm wrong or missing something. Thanks.

That's correct. you're out of your eligibility for the financing offer. They do that for the same reason as blackout dates on award points for some programs: to save money. this is kinda targeted towards impulse buyers with a "buy now, pay later" type attitude. its a comon thing. just like if you sign up for a points bonus on another card, you have to spend $XXXX within 3 months to get bonus. otherwise it is forfeited.

Message 3 of 9
money28
Regular Contributor

Try to get the Apple Finance card upgraded to the rewards card. You will earn points in 3 different categories.

Starting Score: 06/29/13 TU 579; EQ 585; EX 574
Current Score: 07/24/13 TU 645; EQ 668; EX 652
Goal Score: 740
Wells Fargo $700 / Merrick Bank $1000 / Fingerhut $1300 /
Gettington $1000 Walmart $600 HSN/1300 Express/700 Jcrew/1850
Jared $2000 Macys $2500 Bloomingdale $1000 Sony Card $1500
Amazon Store Card $900 Ann Taylor/880 American Airlines/1500 Shell/500 Capital One Quicksilver\ $500 Pier 1 $1500 \ Chase Zappos Visa $2500 Barclays Apple\$1200

Message 4 of 9
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@money28 wrote:

Try to get the Apple Finance card upgraded to the rewards card. You will earn points in 3 different categories.

+1. I had the older version and called when the chip rewards card became available. I was able to PC without any issue and got a SP CLI in the process.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 5 of 9
sphinx313
Established Contributor

I'll definitely have my wife do that as it's her card so we'll see what I can come up with. Thanks, as always!

Message 6 of 9
traveler2005
Established Contributor

@sphinx313 wrote:

I'll definitely have my wife do that as it's her card so we'll see what I can come up with. Thanks, as always!

Hi Sphinx

I have had my barclay via financing card for almost 3 years, used it once in past to finance an I Pad, paid off in 6 months. A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I wanted a macbook pro, my limit was 1300, so not enough. I called and request a CLI which I had never gotten in past, They asked me how much so I said I would like my CL to increase to 5000. I explained that the computer I wanted was about 2000 and that I didn't want it to look like my card was maxed out. They increased my limit to the 5000, then I asked if I could get 0 % financing, they said that on 2000 I would get 0% for up to 18 months. This is all after opening up a salle mae card a month ago. 

So I would just call and ask for another 0% financing offer. Chances are you might get one.

Best wishes.

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

sweet 

Message 8 of 9
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Your scores (and I bet util right now) are a bit better than hers and I don't see them extending her any more credit, but for a SP it's worth a shot. I'll have her call Monday. The goal is to get switched to the new card but I'll take 0% at Apple. Gives me a reason to make the purchase.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.