Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Apple Success

tag
Smug
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay Apple Success

They do give you nice limits mine started at 1290.00 called. And got 5 k, I have a few baddies left, so I am happy, they match your highest card......
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 11 of 39
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

OK, now I'm starting to get peeved. All this people getting Barclays, even you with collections on your accounts, while I, on the other hand, have ZERO baddies (no lates, no collections, no nothing) but a couple of inquiries and I get denied?! Even with a recon, STILL denied?!

Congrats on the card, but jeez this is really making me mad now. SCREW YOU BARCLAYS!! &*(%)(#*@#$! You will never be getting any of my business!

Keep in mind Barclay has a very different set of criteria they use to determine who they approve than other lenders. For instance, you have AMEX Zinc, but AMEX will NEVER approve me even though I have a history of no late pays, only one baddie remaining from 2005 (paid) and an AAoA of almost 8 years. Why? Because I also have a BK on my record. Barclay overlooked that because the rest of my report looked good.

Did they tell you why they denied you? If it is just one thing they are focusing on, I'd call back and recon - even if it took a couple of times. They have analysts who will listen to reason and approve some pretty fat CLs.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 12 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

OK, now I'm starting to get peeved. All this people getting Barclays, even you with collections on your accounts, while I, on the other hand, have ZERO baddies (no lates, no collections, no nothing) but a couple of inquiries and I get denied?! Even with a recon, STILL denied?!

Congrats on the card, but jeez this is really making me mad now. SCREW YOU BARCLAYS!! &*(%)(#*@#$! You will never be getting any of my business!

Keep in mind Barclay has a very different set of criteria they use to determine who they approve than other lenders. For instance, you have AMEX Zinc, but AMEX will NEVER approve me even though I have a history of no late pays, only one baddie remaining from 2005 (paid) and an AAoA of almost 8 years. Why? Because I also have a BK on my record. Barclay overlooked that because the rest of my report looked good.

Did they tell you why they denied you? If it is just one thing they are focusing on, I'd call back and recon - even if it took a couple of times. They have analysts who will listen to reason and approve some pretty fat CLs.

I had to call back twice for recons before I got approved.

Just wondering, how old is your oldest CC account?

Message 13 of 39
hyprble
Regular Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

I'm also confused what kind of credit profile Barclay is looking for.  The only reason I app'd (in store) for a card was to get 0% financing on an iMac, and they only gave me $500 (I asked for $3000 - purchasing an iMac and Adobe software) which wasn't even enough to do the financing offer.  At the time I had 7ys AAoA, 0 baddies, 0 inquiries, no bankruptcy, 37% debt to credit (yes, I realize that's high), 50k salary and around a 720 credit score.  When I tried to recon they told me to check back in 6 months.  I recently tried to get a CLI (at that point a 28% debt to credit, 54k salary, 760+ fico) and they wouldn't budge.  Maybe I have too much open credit?

I understand Barclay is a conservative lender, but I am just a little confused that people with some inquiries, bk, negatives, etc are loaned more.  I just paid off the last $150 from a promo offer and will be sticking this thing in the sock drawer.  I admit I should not feel entitled to a higher credit limit, and they don't have to give me any credit at all.  I just wish I never applied for the card in the first place!

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 39
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

I understand Barclay is a conservative lender, but I am just a little confused that people with some inquiries, bk, negatives, etc are loaned more.  I just paid off the last $150 from a promo offer and will be sticking this thing in the sock drawer.  I admit I should not feel entitled to a higher credit limit, and they don't have to give me any credit at all.  I just wish I never applied for the card in the first place!

I really try to stay positive on this forum, but statements like yours kinda rub me the wrong way, so please accept my apologies in advance for what I am about to say if it seems rude. I have simply heard this too many times to stay silent any further:

Instead of begrudging others their successes, you might focus on the positives you enjoy due to the fact that you have earned a 762 prime credit profile. People like me have NEVER enjoyed the earned advantages you have built. We don't know what it's like to pull out a Chase, AMEX or USAA fat-limit card and charge a significant amount without destroying our util and losing 5-10 points overnight. We live our credit lives day-by-day, balance-by-balance...and the scoring of a prime card like Barclay is a confidence builder supreme.

If you got a credit limit you don't care for with Barclay, call their backdoor number until you get someone who will listen to reason. That's how many of us got what we initially asked for. In the meantime, I'll thank you to be a little more gracious and avoid comments that include tongue-in-chek swipes at those who might have been more fortunate with their applications. There are very few people on this board who haven't had multiple inquiries, BK, negatives, etc...and the ones who remain could do without someone pointing them out every time they don't get what they want from a lender.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 39
Smug
Established Contributor

Amen brother.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 16 of 39
hyprble
Regular Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

I really try to stay positive on this forum, but statements like yours kinda rub me the wrong way, so please accept my apologies in advance for what I am about to say if it seems rude. I have simply heard this too many times to stay silent any further:

Instead of begrudging others their successes, you might focus on the positives you enjoy due to the fact that you have earned a 762 prime credit profile. People like me have NEVER enjoyed the earned advantages you have built. We don't know what it's like to pull out a Chase, AMEX or USAA fat-limit card and charge a significant amount without destroying our util and losing 5-10 points overnight. We live our credit lives day-by-day, balance-by-balance...and the scoring of a prime card like Barclay is a confidence builder supreme.

If you got a credit limit you don't care for with Barclay, call their backdoor number until you get someone who will listen to reason. That's how many of us got what we initially asked for. In the meantime, I'll thank you to be a little more gracious and avoid comments that include tongue-in-chek swipes at those who might have been more fortunate with their applications. There are very few people on this board who haven't had multiple inquiries, BK, negatives, etc...and the ones who remain could do without someone pointing them out every time they don't get what they want from a lender.

At what point was I begrudging anyone their success and where exactly was my tongue-in-cheek swipe?  I applaud people's successes with CCC and cleaning up credit and helping others is what this forum is about.  5 years ago my own accountant recommended I declare bankruptcy because there would be no way for me to pay everything off, and I don't ever mean to put down anyone who has been in a similar situation of hardship.  If someone has multiple inquiries and a few lates and Barclay extends them $2000 that is great news!  Someone else that has a similar credit history with fewer lates might be declined and wonder what the reasoning is.  Am I in the wrong for wondering why I was not offered a high enough CL to receive the 12 month 0% financing when I was intending on purchasing a computer and Barclay recon wouldn't budge?

Message 17 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hyprble wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

I'm also confused what kind of credit profile Barclay is looking for.  The only reason I app'd (in store) for a card was to get 0% financing on an iMac, and they only gave me $500 (I asked for $3000 - purchasing an iMac and Adobe software) which wasn't even enough to do the financing offer.  At the time I had 7ys AAoA, 0 baddies, 0 inquiries, no bankruptcy, 37% debt to credit (yes, I realize that's high), 50k salary and around a 720 credit score.  When I tried to recon they told me to check back in 6 months.  I recently tried to get a CLI (at that point a 28% debt to credit, 54k salary, 760+ fico) and they wouldn't budge.  Maybe I have too much open credit?

I have to say I understand where you are coming from...I am having the same issue with Discover getting a CLI...they CLD 2 years ago from $5,500 to $4,900 due to stuff on my credit report and then CLD me again last year to $2,900 due to stuff on my credit report plus the new CC laws making sure my credit limit was aligned with my income. I was naive on both occassions to check my credit report and figured they were just wanting to minimize risk due to the financial meltdown. What really sucks is I never defaulted on their 2 cards or any of my credit cards. I have managed up to 15 credit cards at one given time and this was before they really offered/recommended Auto Pay to make sure at least the minimum was paid each month. In the last 2 months since I started caring about my credit I have seen a significant increase after removing negative stuff off my reports. I can only imagine if I apply for a Barclays card during my app spree that they will decline due to UTL or because I have a mortgage and will think I am a higher risk than someone who may only have like $5k in credit all together with 10% UTL with no mortgage or loans. If it's really how they compare then I may not want to give them my business because if 10 years of great payment history and 8 years carrying a mortgage with no lates/defaults does not demonstrate credit responsibility and worthiness then I wonder what does.

Message 18 of 39
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Am I in the wrong for wondering why I was not offered a high enough CL to receive the 12 month 0% financing when I was intending on purchasing a computer and Barclay recon wouldn't budge?

Absolutely not...in fact, I'm of the opinion that calling again (and again, if necessary) would likely get you a $3,000-4,000 limit if you catch the right rep. Keep in mind that those of us who weren't approved initially had to call the backdoor number multiple times to get approved in the first place.

My issue was with the "I don't know how others with xxx on their credit report got loaned more..." that you and others here seem to insist upon including when you lament your credit application disappointments. I get that you're disappointed with Barclay. What I don't get is why you and others have to question the approvals of others when expressing your disappointment.

I'll bet you a buffalo nickel that we're getting approvals not because we have fewer inquiries or baddies than you, but because we're more persistent. I called the backdoor number THREE TIMES before I found a rep willing to have a discussion about my entire credit profile...and even then, it was not a quick, sure thing. Barclay is funny about their credit and sometimes it just takes finding the right person to get what you ask for. Just ask Smug...initially approved for $1,290, got $9,000 on recon!

Anyway, sorry if I hit a little hard earlier. Just kinda tired of seeing what I feel are discouraging remarks that really do nothing but discourage middle-of-the-road credit seekers who just want to find their way to the promised land Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 39
hyprble
Regular Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

Am I in the wrong for wondering why I was not offered a high enough CL to receive the 12 month 0% financing when I was intending on purchasing a computer and Barclay recon wouldn't budge?

Absolutely not...in fact, I'm of the opinion that calling again (and again, if necessary) would likely get you a $3,000-4,000 limit if you catch the right rep. Keep in mind that those of us who weren't approved initially had to call the backdoor number multiple times to get approved in the first place.

My issue was with the "I don't know how others with xxx on their credit report got loaned more..." that you and others here seem to insist upon including when you lament your credit application disappointments. I get that you're disappointed with Barclay. What I don't get is why you and others have to question the approvals of others when expressing your disappointment.

I'll bet you a buffalo nickel that we're getting approvals not because we have fewer inquiries or baddies than you, but because we're more persistent. I called the backdoor number THREE TIMES before I found a rep willing to have a discussion about my entire credit profile...and even then, it was not a quick, sure thing. Barclay is funny about their credit and sometimes it just takes finding the right person to get what you ask for. Just ask Smug...initially approved for $1,290, got $9,000 on recon!

Anyway, sorry if I hit a little hard earlier. Just kinda tired of seeing what I feel are discouraging remarks that really do nothing but discourage middle-of-the-road credit seekers who just want to find their way to the promised land Smiley Happy

Thank you for the explanation.  I do want this forum to be positive for all its members and will be sure to be more mindful about what I type and how it may be interpreted in the future!  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.