Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Arrival Miles

tag
w003ptr
Contributor

Barclay Arrival Miles

I was planning on buying a travel gift card with my miles and then selling it on one of those gift card sites (any suggestions on the best/most reputable one(s)?), but all of the "travel" related cards on barclays reward site is at a 2:1 ratio, and not 1:1 like I thought they were supposed to be.

What am I doing wrong?

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Barclay Arrival Miles

Dont know about Arrival, but for selling gift cards, I generally go to gift card granny and choose from there.   I have had good experiences with giftcard zen and CardSnagger (but YMMV and others are probably fine as well).

Message 2 of 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

I believe the miles are only worth 0.5 cent when redeemed for gift cards and so on.

If you get 2 miles per $1 spent, and redeem for travel, then that's 2%.  If you redeem for gift cards, then it's 1%.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/details-on-the-barclaycard-arrival-cards-travel-bonus-category-and-r...

Message 3 of 5
w003ptr
Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

I believe the miles are only worth 0.5 cent when redeemed for gift cards and so on.

If you get 2 miles per $1 spent, and redeem for travel, then that's 2%.  If you redeem for gift cards, then it's 1%.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/details-on-the-barclaycard-arrival-cards-travel-bonus-category-and-r...

Ah my mistake.  I thought I read somewhere that travel or travel-related gift cards both got the 2% redemption.  Thanks.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 4 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

You can try buying the gift cards directly from the hotel / airline. Usually those will count as a travel expense.

You probably will make quite a bit of losses on the GCs though, since there's discount promotions on them from time to time.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.