cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Arrival - You got it, you like it?

tag
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclay Arrival - You got it, you like it?

Fidelity could be the best 2% card, except that it's an AMEX. Even though I love my BCP, AMEX is less and less accepted, specially in Europe which I like to go whenever I can.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 11 of 18
tonyric
Established Member

With the cost of flights and hotels, it is easy to use it all for travel. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 18
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

I have the AF version and I LOVE IT!

It's the best 2% card out there if you can justify the AF.

Way better than the CSP! (I have both btw)

Points post right away. 

Clean fast website.

2% on everything

Book whatever you want and use your points to "erase" the charge. No need to deal with retarded redeeming websites and restrictions.

Except for the tiny little restriction that you have to redeem against travel.  Unlike say Fidelity.

For those who are restless and like to travel this is hardly a restriction. That 2% on everything was going to be used for travel, anyway. Smiley Very Happy

The refunded miles when you spend miles makes the Arrival pretty sweet.

Message 13 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

Points post right away. 

Clean fast website.

2% on everything

Book whatever you want and use your points to "erase" the charge. No need to deal with retarded redeeming websites and restrictions.

Except for the tiny little restriction that you have to redeem against travel.  Unlike say Fidelity.

For those who are restless and like to travel this is hardly a restriction. That 2% on everything was going to be used for travel, anyway. Smiley Very Happy

It is still a restriction.  I agree some redemption sites are stupid, but others, such as Fidelity (and Cap One,1.5% everywhere) give full value redemption for cash and that is worth something.

Message 14 of 18
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

Points post right away. 

Clean fast website.

2% on everything

It is still a restriction.  I agree some redemption sites are stupid, but others, such as Fidelity (and Cap One,1.5% everywhere) give full value redemption for cash and that is worth something.

The Arrival, when used as is intended, reimbursement for travel purposes is in my estimation one of the better travel cards out their.  I wish the redemption could be transferred 1:1 for partner programs like the CSP- but then, I suppose one couldn't get the 2Pts per $1 on ALL spend.  Still the redemption when used for travel is an effective 2.2% back with the 10% kickback on travel.  But to compare the Arrival to a straight up cash back card isn't in my opinion apples to apples.  It's not marketed as a cash back card.  Smiley Happy Still, I get your point...  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 15 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

Points post right away. 

Clean fast website.

2% on everything

The Arrival, when used as is intended, reimbursement for travel purposes is in my estimation one of the better travel cards out their.  I wish the redemption could be transferred 1:1 for partner programs like the CSP- but then, I suppose one couldn't get the 2Pts per $1 on ALL spend.  Still the redemption when used for travel is an effective 2.2% back with the 10% kickback on travel.  But to compare the Arrival to a straight up cash back card isn't in my opinion apples to apples.  It's not marketed as a cash back card.  Smiley Happy Still, I get your point...  Smiley Happy

Right, but the quote was: It's the best 2% card out there if you can justify the AF. so I compared it to the (rather small) universe of 2% cards rather than travel cards.

Message 16 of 18
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

My bad.  I missed that on first read.  Still after reading it again, I'm pretty sure the poster meant within the realm of travel based cards... At least I took it that way on second read.  Still, you always make very insightful valid points.  If the card was a strict cash back card, it'd be a 1% card unless one made heavy use of the bonus promo award spend.  Not very enticing as a CB card indeed.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 17 of 18
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

Points post right away. 

Clean fast website.

2% on everything

But that's the purpose of this card.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.