cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Arrival denied because too low utilization on existing Barclay reward card

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay Arrival denied because too low utilization on existing Barclay reward card

@baller4life wrote:
@longtimelurker and Finstar. Their loss meaning a potentially good customer certainly not a financial loss because I know they couldn't care less. "Their loss" is simply an expression not to be taken literally. Geesh!! You guys make me not want to post anymore. Many of you carry such a challenging and confrontational tone. It was merely MY opinion!

No harm no foul

I don't think they meant any harm and you are a valuable part of this community like others so please continue to contribute 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 43
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay Arrival denied because too low utilization on existing Barclay reward card

Thx myjourney. But certainly not the first, second or third time. I'm good keeping my opinions to myself. It's all good.
Message 12 of 43
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Thx myjourney. But certainly not the first, second or third time. I'm good keeping my opinions to myself. It's all good.

Baller I think you might be taking things a little too harsh. I have differed with many on here on a few things and it has always been amicable. The other posters just seem to disagree with you. I do as well, but that doesn't mean we don't value your opinion. The reasons I disagree with you is that many people are just sign-up bonus hunting. Not saying OP is doing that but as he said he's had his card SD for months and he just got in August. Looking at it from Barclays point of view, the guy just might be getting cards for the sign-up bonuses and SDing them. That's his right, but it's also Barclay's right to deny credit to people who aren't profitable. The OP hasn't shown that he would be profitable for Barclays.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 13 of 43
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@Rookies1000 wrote:
My wife and I applied for Barclay Arrival in the weekend. We both got the application pending review message. My wife got an approval email shortly after. I checked my app status online and saw it was denied.

So I called the back door number to recon twice but no luck. Both CSR said my accounts are too young but also said that I already have a Barclay reward card that they gave me in august 2013 and they can see I have almost never used it. (this was my credit builder card and I have put it in the sock drawer many months ago)

They told me they like to see more history from me and see me use the Barclay reward card more for 6-8 months before they will give me a second card.

Needless to say, I thanked them and cancelled my Barclay reward card right away as it seems to hurt me more having it.
My wife didn't have any business with Barclay when she got approved.

So no more Barclay for me. I'm sticking with chase who have given me 3 cards last year (CSP, freedom, united)

Here is the stats
Me: 755 TU (FAKO)
Income: 70k
AAOA: ~ 1 year
Oldest card: ~ 2 years
Always paid in full, no baddies

Wife: 720 TU (FAKO)
income: 30k
AAOA: 1.5 years
Oldest card: 3 years

With all things said - and I was trying to avoid giving unsolicited advice here - if you decide you want to reopen the card, you still might be able to do so.  

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 14 of 43
Rookies1000

Thanks for all the comments. I cancelled the Barclay reward card from a strategic point of view. I can assure you that I was not bitter ;-)

I may and may not re-apply for Barclay card 6-8 months down the road and I think keeping the Barclay reward card hurts my chance more than good. My main interest is a travel card for airline redemption. I have both AMEX PRG, CSP + Freedom which I get benefits per dollars spent. (That's why I sd'ed the Barclay card to begin with)

There is no way I will direct my spending into the barclay reward card for 6-8 months to make it look good to them the next time I re-apply for the BC arrival, when my main interest is the BC arrival fixed reward structure.

So closing it now is better than being told "we can see you still haven't used our card since last application"
Message 15 of 43
Rookies1000

Also FYI, I got the Barclay reward card with 2,500 point sign up bonus. That is hardly worth $25 gift card. As I said I got it mainly for building credit. My credit got improved pretty quickly and I have since gotten much better reward cards. So I sd'ed it.
Message 16 of 43
w003ptr
Contributor

@Rookies1000 wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. I cancelled the Barclay reward card from a strategic point of view. I can assure you that I was not bitter ;-)

I may and may not re-apply for Barclay card 6-8 months down the road and I think keeping the Barclay reward card hurts my chance more than good. My main interest is a travel card for airline redemption. I have both AMEX PRG, CSP + Freedom which I get benefits per dollars spent. (That's why I sd'ed the Barclay card to begin with)

There is no way I will direct my spending into the barclay reward card for 6-8 months to make it look good to them the next time I re-apply for the BC arrival, when my main interest is the BC arrival fixed reward structure.

So closing it now is better than being told "we can see you still haven't used our card since last application"

From my point of view closing a card soon after cashing in the sign-up bonus is not something that will help your future application(s) with the same CCC.  I could be wrong though. 

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 17 of 43
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Rookies, I agree with your decision to close the card. I don't keep cards open that I don't have use for either.

Baller, I liked your posts.  Barclays did potentially lose a great customer and myFICO forum member.  Longtimelurker and Finstar both have a lot of credit cards and understand the points game better than most here.  They are not strangers to flipping cards either, but were pointing out that the bank denying new credit is based on an estimate of profitability.

Also, btw, the bank is called "Barclays".  And it rhymes with "cheese".  They are all over the place here in Britain.

I know its strange that they call their credit card a "Barclaycard", but BoA also calls their card a "Bankamericard".

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 18 of 43
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Rookies1000 wrote:

Sorry to hear about the Arrival denial.  I used a similar technique when they wouldn't approve me for a CLI or 2nd card (I had the average credit rewards card $750 limit at the time).  I honestly cancelled it out of frustration, but 6 months after I cancelled it, I was approved for an Arrival ($10k limit). 

Barclays isn't quite the size of Chase, so I think that plays a part in their conservative approach to approving multiple cards with them.  While not impossible, 2 new (Barclays) cards per year seems to be their threshold. 

Message 19 of 43
noobody
Established Contributor

Guess I am the lucky one here, got nfl card 2 years ago just for 200 bonus, went through 100 in two years, PC to Barclay's rewards last week.

Aply today get approved 10K today for arrival.

The tough part shall i keep CSP as AF bill on Jan 1st?

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.