Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Aviator Red Angst

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay Aviator Red Angst

Trying to figure out how to avoid eating the annual fee on this card for another year. I like the "first bag free" feature of having this card and to a lesser extent, the 10% rewards redemption rebate, but not to the tune of $89.

I signed up for this as the USAirways card back in early 2015 before the AA/USAir merger, knowing that the 50k USAirway miles I earned getting it would be converted to AA miles when the merger was complete. The card was also converted to an AA Aviator Red card. When the first year was up, I called to cancel and was given a retention offer: if I spent $1,500 I'd get 15k bonus miles, which I figured put me in the plus even after paying the annual fee.

This year I called, and all I got was an offer to convert me to the plain Aviator card which doesn't have the first bag benefit (nor any of the other benefits, for that matter). I ended the call.

So now the question is, do I call again and push it and say "the plain card doesn't do anything for me, just cancel the account"? If I do that is it likely they will then give me a retention offer rather than just closing it? Or do I let them close it, then reapply for the card again for another bite of free miles?

Chris.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay Aviator Red Angst

Might be worth another call. There's a few recent reports of a 5k bonus after $1k spend. Definitely not the 15k miles you got last year. Personally speaking I'd even take that with the AF assuming 5k AA miles would cost around $150 out of pocket.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.