Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay BT Checks

tag
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Barclay BT Checks

Has anyone used these to write a check to yourself?

I was getting ready to take out a small personal loan and Barclay sent me checks. It did say I could write it to myself, so I figured that would be a cheaper way (better rate) than taking out a loan.

My question though is how long do these typically take to clear? I've never done this with Barclay before and don't want to use the money till i know its cleared.

I deposited the check yesterday, and it has not deducted from my avail credit yet.

My Credit Union said they wouldn't put a hold on it and I could use the funds now, but BT checks often come back for many reasons, so it may be a good idea to wait until cleared first.

(She didnt meant Barclay in particular just the BT checks in general but it still worried me)

I planned on waiting anyway, but curious how long the process typically takes from those who have done it before.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclay BT Checks

I used a Barclays BT check to myself a couple years ago. My small community bank didn't put a hold on the funds either, and I started using the funds. But if your concerned, wait until you see the BT posted on your Barclay account and deducted from your available credit. As I recall it took around 4 biz days.

Message 2 of 19
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Thats about what I expected.  Thanks so much.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

May I ask what kind of Barclaycard had the BT checks, how long you had the card before getting them, etc
Message 4 of 19
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

I love my Barclays BT checks!

Easy peasy to use and only 1% BT fee for me.

Message 5 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
May I ask what kind of Barclaycard had the BT checks, how long you had the card before getting them, etc

Not sure who you're asking, but I used to get BT checks for my Barclays Rewards MC all the time. Did a $3k 0% BT for 18 months and paid it off just before the 0% became 22.9% and they stopped sending them to me. I just got Barclays NFL Extra Points Sig Viisa and it has 0% BTs for 15 mos if made in the first 45 days of account being opened.

Message 6 of 19
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah those 1% BT checks are nice and it's been 0% for 15 months lately.  I just wrote myself one for $2k a few weeks ago - not bad for $20.

Message 7 of 19
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Are these BT checks something you could ask for or they have to send them to you?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 8 of 19
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@ojefferyo wrote:

Are these BT checks something you could ask for or they have to send them to you?

I think you can call in and ask them to send you some.  They just seem to be sending me these checks automatically every month.

Message 9 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

When logged into your Barclays account click Tools and scroll down and you'll see your current BT offer which you then click to accept.On my Rewards card it shows my current BT offer is 3% transfer fee & 22.9% interest, so no thanks. When I switch to the NFL card it shows 3% transfer fee w/0% for 15 mos. For BTs from another CC you can do it right there on the web site by entering the CC# you want to do a BT from. If you want to write a check to yourself or somethiong other than another CC you should call them & request checks if it shows you have a good current offer.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.