Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Bank/Juniper MC - They are Nuts

tag
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Barclay Bank/Juniper MC - They are Nuts

Here is an interesting result of a recent request for a credit limit increase from my Juniper MC.  I have had it over a year, never missed a payment,always pay, use if frequently because of the 7.99% interest. They just ratejacked me to 14.99, which I was dealing with but I only have a measley $500 CL, so I thought if I still want the card at this rate they better increase the limit, well here is my results. Please read from the bottom up since this was all done by email.

Dear Edited,   Thank you for contacting us regarding your Juniper MasterCard account.  We apologize for the inconvenience. However, we can certainly assist you. Please be advised that our credit department will review your account for a credit line increase every 4 to 6 months automatically.  We regularly review our accounts to ensure we provide the best possible terms, while managing any risks that come with unsecured lending.  We make adjustments to ensure we can continue to provide you with great benefits you have come to expect with your card. Please know,  although you cannot opt out of every change, you can choose to reject some of the changes to your Annual Percentage Rate (APR). Notice of your rejection of these changes must be  received by November 27, 2009 in order for the terms to not be applied. Your account however will be closed and you will be required to continue to pay the monthly payments on any outstanding balance under the current terms of your Agreement until it is paid in full. 

Please note that you can choose to reject any of the new terms.You will be allowed to opt out by phone or any of the following methods:
  • Call Customer Care
  • Mail a letter
  • Fax a letter
  • Email
In order to opt out, you will need to do so by November 27, 2009. In your letter, please include your name, address, and account number and mail to:                  Barclays Bank Delaware                 P.O. Box 8804                 Wilmington, DE 19899-8804 You can also fax your letter to 1-866-823-8178. We appreciate your business and look forward to servicing your financial needs. If you have any other questions please reply to this e-mail. Sincerely, Edited Email Relationship Manager   -----Original Message-----
edited)
Date:   Friday, September 04, 2009  05:16 AM
To:   'Juniper Customer Care' (
Correspondence@juniper.com)
Subject:  RE: Other Account Related Inquiry

Excuse me?  I have to prove my income of $200,000.00 a year or more for a increase request on my initial $500.00 credit limit? 

First off, I don’t make $200,000.00 a year and never said I did and secondly, is this a joke? If I made that kind of money I would not have a $500 juniper card. LOLAre you trying to get rid of your customers and go out of business? because quite frankly this will do it.If you are telling me the only way to get a CLI on my $500 limit is an income of $200,000.00 a year or more then I will beClosing my account and opting out of the rate increase juniper just hit me with. And you can start that process with this email.  This is a travesty and your company has some nerve!!!!!   Edited From: Juniper Customer Care [mailto:Correspondence@juniper.com]
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 12:04 AM
To: EDITED
Subject: RE:'Case=edited Other Account Related Inquiry
 Dear Edited,   Thank you for contacting us regarding your Juniper MasterCard account. We understand your concern and we can certainly address your inquiry. Our Credit department can manually review the proof of income to determine if you qualify for a line increase.  In order to do this you must mail or fax proof of income to the Credit department.  You must be able to provide documentation, such as Income Tax returns, prior year W-2, prior year tax return (first 2 pages), or two most recent pay stubs, that shows your income is $200,000.00 a year or more to be eligible for reconsideration.  You may send this information to:  Address: Attention: Credit ReviewPO Box 8828Wilmington., DE 19899-8828 or Fax: 866-839-1768 If you have further inquiries and concerns,  please reply to this e-mail.  Sincerely, Edited E-mail Relationship Manager  -----Original Message-----
EDITED)
Date:   Thursday, September 03, 2009  10:24 PM
To:   Juniper (
juniper@talismaonline.com)
Subject:  Other Account Related Inquiry

Barclays
www.barclaycardus.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity who is the intended recipient. Unauthorized use of this information is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from any system it may be on.

I have already drafted my letter to close this account.Smiley Mad

Edited to remove your personal name, e-mail, and other account info - llecs, myFICO mod.

Message Edited by llecs on 09-04-2009 08:34 PM
Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclay Bank/Juniper MC - They are Nuts

WOW. What are they thinking,

If i made $200,000 a year, i don't think i would need a credit card. If i did, i would probably get a BoA secure card with about $100,000 on it, just waiting for it to be converted lol.

I'm sorry this is happening to you but like you told them, they are NUTS 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 2 of 21
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

LOL, that is what I am saying...If I made that kind of money their card would never see that the material my purse is made of.  I am appaulled...this is so sad that we as loyal credit customers are being abused by the credit world, not just by credit card by also by all angles of credit.Smiley Sad
Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 3 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

This is the kind of thing that occurs when you try to deal through email. This would have been a totally different exchange had you picked up the phone and called in. They still might have said "No", but you would have gotten to the bottom of all in one call and w/o the $200K claim posted in your file.

And yes, BarclayCard/Juniper is loco. Nothing new there. This is just another sad reaffirmation.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recived the Carnival Sea Miles card from them and got $2500 with a 625 TU score that they told me was great..... I got declined online then called.....
Message 5 of 21
tray
Valued Contributor

Hi, I personally called Jupiner/Barclays (I have a B&N mastercard) for a cli, use it frequently pay on time,paying several times a month, and I also was told they review accounts which is a lie, and was told the joke lineSmiley Indifferentif I make $200,000 a year I could send in paperwork for reconsideration,  I had to really laugh to myself if I made over $200,000 a year would I even consider asking for a cli from this bank or any other bank to matter.  Just to say you are not alone. My cl is $2,300.00 and I do not expect any increase

TU-713

EQ-681

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 21
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

@tray wrote:

Hi, I personally called Jupiner/Barclays (I have a B&N mastercard) for a cli, use it frequently pay on time,paying several times a month, and I also was told they review accounts which is a lie, and was told the joke lineSmiley Indifferentif I make $200,000 a year I could send in paperwork for reconsideration,  I had to really laugh to myself if I made over $200,000 a year would I even consider asking for a cli from this bank or any other bank to matter.  Just to say you are not alone. My cl is $2,300.00 and I do not expect any increase.  TU-713

EQ-681

Tray, I am with you on the CLI if I made $200,000, I can guarantee you I would not  even have a Juniper/Barclay card.  You are right, they do lie, they have never reviewed my account for a CLI, and I only have a $500 CL that I had had for more than a year. My request had nothing to do with email, they do not like you to request a CLI no matter what, in fact i have found it very hard to ge through to them by phone, but they have told me before they do not grant requests, they do reviews from time to time..  BS!!!
Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 7 of 21
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just recived the Carnival Sea Miles card from them and got $2500 with a 625 TU score that they told me was great..... I got declined online then called.....

The way it was explained to me is that every merchant card is different even if it is funded by the same lender such as (Barclay Bank or HSBC).  It is the companies that allow the perimeters/standards that they will accept for a credit card and the bank behind it controls, manages and funds it. That is why one card may accept you and another one not when they are both funded by the same bank.

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 8 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

iwantbettercredit wrote:

CyndibemyLOVE wrote:

The way it was explained to me is that every merchant card is different even if it is funded by the same lender such as (Barclay Bank or HSBC).  It is the companies that allow the perimeters/standards that they will accept for a credit card and the bank behind it controls, manages and funds it. That is why one card may accept you and another one not when they are both funded by the same bank.

This may be true for GEMB products and a few other cards. I do not believe this applies to BarclayCard/Juniper offerings. The credit offering there is solely controlled by BarclayCard. In the case of Carnival Seamiles I know for a certain fact that CCL has nothing to do with the card. If you want to use your rewards to purchase a cruise you cannot even book it through CCL. Your cruise must be booked through the correct travel agency. (Solutions at Sea) I can also tell you the deals through SeaMiles are not good. You can do better elsewhere.

Message 9 of 21
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Sorry for the response to your CLI inquiry and the rate increase.  There are reports on other credit forums of Juniper using that $200k response for many months.  I think they use it for pure shock value, and the CSRs have obviously been mass trained to say that exact amount in some situations to stop people asking for CLIs.  I have no idea what triggers it, though. 

Even though it's frustrating, just remember to use them for your benefit, then send them packing or into the sock drawer when they're no longer useful to you.  You'll be on to bigger/better CCs and CLs as time passes.  Good luck!

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.