Did you mean: 

Barclay CLD/AA

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay CLD/AA

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:
When posters question Cap One, I raise questions. I don't with Barclay's, I think that they are toxic.

I agree. I always thought i the back of my mind...is today the day...no need to worry about it now Smiley LOL

I guess I'll go sit in the dissenter's corner. Cap One is worse to me for one reason - when they hold a grudge, it's for life.

Long, long, ago, I hit a rough patch for a few months. Barclays got wind of it and CLD'd me. I got through the patch, paid them off, and to this day I still have that card (though I never use it). Barclay's has also since gave me back what they took in the CLD and then some.

In the same patch, I missed some payments to Cap One. That card died. CLD'd to $0, no recon possible. Was told I could keep it open for AoA but never to ask them about it or any other card again. The balance was long since paid off so they were not burned. If you like them, great, but don't mess up if you do.

Message 41 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jeffm4688 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you think these CLD and account closings happen mostly on Barclays own cards, or do they also happen on co-branded cards like the jetBlue? I hope not, but I'll just have to see what happens, I guess.

They happen on jetblue, just got my letter today. They closed $9K line strictly due to INQ's and new Acct's. I added 8 accounts in the 8 months since getting the jetblue (vs the 12 new I had in the 6 months prior to approval).

Thanks, jeffm4688. I am really sorry that happened to you.  I really do appreciate the firsthand info on jetBlue. I had already planned to stagger my new credit apps to the tune that I may have a total of two more new cards by the end of 2017. Hopefully that is a low enough number so as to not incur the wrath.

Message 42 of 82
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

That's the thing about Barclays.

They have a special pool of cardholders they keep close and see to their satisfaction, and then there's everybody else Smiley Very Happy

Message 43 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sillykitty1 wrote:

So to provide some balance ... Barclays can be very good lender, if they like your profile ....

I started out with a $800 approval on the Arrival 3 years ago.  At that time I had a thin file, with only one cc w a $320 CL and a few very old lates on installments.  Now three years later I have $30K in credit w Barclays, with continued auto and SP CLI's.

I have done things that are supposed to bring a Barclay's AA:

• Agressive credit seeking - Barclays was my second cc, now, 3 yrs later I have 20 cc's and $300K in CL's
  • Using BT's - Used the 1% offer multiples times, recied auto CLI's after each one
  • High Utilization - I've never had overall high utilization, but I do show some cards near maxed month after month, due to high usage & BT's

Why I think I've have a positive Barclay's relationship

• Long stable profile, going back to 1995
  • Multiple mortgage TL's on CR
  • Relatively high income
  • Never pay interest, always pay far over minimum on BT's
  • No baddies (lates fell off the CR soon after I opened my first Barclay's card)

So, while I agree that Barclay's is quite risk adverse, I disagree with all the doom and gloom of Barclay's AA.  IME, it is possible to do a fair amount of credit seeking, and have a postive Barclay's relationship.  But the credit seeking needs to be balanced with an otherwise stable profile.

Thank you, sillykitty1. Great info! I appreciate a different view on this. I think I have a positive, albeit young, relationship with Barclay's. They've approved me twice since my year old BK, and with decent SLs, $3500 and $4000. I don't know if that fact that I have a bank account with them helps or not. Having BK in my history, I will definitely temper the number of new apps/accounts so I don't freak them out, though! Just in case! Smiley Happy

Message 44 of 82
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

As I have said before..
I have a special place for my Barclays card. Very near and dear to me.. MY SOCK DRAWER

I want my CL back!!!
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 45 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

So to provide some balance ... Barclays can be very good lender, if they like your profile ....

I started out with a $800 approval on the Arrival 3 years ago.  At that time I had a thin file, with only one cc w a $320 CL and a few very old lates on installments.  Now three years later I have $30K in credit w Barclays, with continued auto and SP CLI's.

• Agressive credit seeking - Barclays was my second cc, now, 3 yrs later I have 20 cc's and $300K in CL's
  • Using BT's - Used the 1% offer multiples times, recied auto CLI's after each one
  • High Utilization - I've never had overall high utilization, but I do show some cards near maxed month after month, due to high usage & BT's

• Relatively high income
  • No baddies (lates fell off the CR soon after I opened my first Barclay's card)

So, while I agree that Barclay's is quite risk adverse, I disagree with all the doom and gloom of Barclay's AA.  IME, it is possible to do a fair amount of credit seeking, and have a postive Barclay's relationship.  But the credit seeking needs to be balanced with an otherwise stable profile.

Thank you, sillykitty1. Great info! I appreciate a different view on this. I think I have a positive, albeit young, relationship with Barclay's. They've approved me twice since my year old BK, and with decent SLs, $3500 and $4000. I don't know if that fact that I have a bank account with them helps or not. Having BK in my history, I will definitely temper the number of new apps/accounts so I don't freak them out, though! Just in case! Smiley Happy

If Barclays ever does me wrong, I'll be very upset. A few reasons: like you, I have the JetBlue card. I know some JetBlue fliers that haven't gotten the card because they don't like Barclays. Shame. They also gave me a $6,000 limit...double what my previous largest limit on any card was. And I travel abroad so I like that it has Chip + PIN.

Hopefully Barclays continues to like me down the line, as my credit history is only 14 months old right now. Until something happens I'll just use the card like I would any other. As one of my first cards though, hopefully they like me long term.

Message 46 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

• Relatively high income

If Barclays ever does me wrong, I'll be very upset. A few reasons: like you, I have the JetBlue card. I know some JetBlue fliers that haven't gotten the card because they don't like Barclays. Shame. They also gave me a $6,000 limit...double what my previous largest limit on any card was. And I travel abroad so I like that it has Chip + PIN.

Hopefully Barclays continues to like me down the line, as my credit history is only 14 months old right now. Until something happens I'll just use the card like I would any other. As one of my first cards though, hopefully they like me long term.

I feel exactly the same way! I hope they keep liking both of us. Smiley Happy I didn't know about the Chip + PIN, that is awesome!

Message 47 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:
As I have said before..
I have a special place for my Barclays card. Very near and dear to me.. MY SOCK DRAWER

I want my CL back!!!

Mine sits in the sock drawer too, I like it there. After reading some of the posts I did think about using it again but don't think so. The rep said they check the accts 2x a yr for possible auto CLI's. If I didn't fit the profile then I'm not going to request a CLI that will result in an inq and  possible decline. Think I'll close it out but want the timing to be right.

Message 48 of 82
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you think these CLD and account closings happen mostly on Barclays own cards, or do they also happen on co-branded cards like the jetBlue? I hope not, but I'll just have to see what happens, I guess.

hey Bella, Question about Golden 1 CU.....Do they SP or HP for membership and chking acct?

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 49 of 82
bk510
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Thanks for sharing OP.

Barclays rejected my app in mid-2014 and it is probably a good thing. They would have CLD / closed the account anyway Smiley Happy

In my opinion, when rebuilding, one should close cards, if one had to get these, in the following sequence:

1) Credit One

2) First Premier

3) Anything Barclays

and never close Capital One Smiley Happy

Yea I'm thinkin' of closing Barclay myself, had it for 3 yrs and still stuck at 4.3K.

Just did a BT to it for 1K, we'll see what happens next, hopefully a CLI, if not probably I'll close it.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 50 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.