Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay CLI, Lose Cap1?

tag
icantsurf
Valued Member

Re: Barclay CLI, Lose Cap1?

I feel ya. I wanna ditch my Cap1 cards so bad! The AF on EACH of them is 39 bucks but not due until December and January. Now I realize why they don't do CLIs for customers but are more than happy to give you a second card! I will call the EO (again) sometime before December and see what they will do for me but I wanna just kick 'em to the curb. 

Starting Score: EX: 678 EQ: 677 TU: 667 03/06/2013
Current Score: EX: 684 EQ: 687 TU: 705 03/31/2014 / Last App: 08/04/2013 / In the Garden Until: 01/04/2013

NPSL           $5000           $3000           $3000           $2500           $2000           $1000            $1000           $1000           
Message 11 of 14
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@TwentyTwelve wrote:

I'm rebuilding since 2010. First I got a Cap1 rebuilder card. Has a 500$ limit and a 39$ annual fee due in Sept I think. After awhile I was offered a Barclay card, and they doubled the limit on it to 2500 after 6 ontime payments. Lastly, I got a WM card and they gave me a 300$ limit. 

Ok, since then, WM increased to 400 and the other day my Barclay card increased to 5500 automatically! Is it finally time to ditch the Cap1 card? I have asked them to convert it to another kind of account and they refuse. 

You could try the EO route if you wish. I also had a $500 CL Platinum Card with Cap1 and was able to get it to $1,500 plus a 1% rewards program and waiver of the $39 AF via the EO. Good luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 12 of 14
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Sorry cannot quote on iPad ...but contact the EO, ask for removal of AF, add rewards and match your Barclays CL sounds like a good plan. If Cap1 does not budge you can still close the account before the AF hits. This is what I would do and if successful with AF removal and adding rewards I would accept a counter on CL. Then keep it and work further on CLI.

I am on a fruitless mission myself with Discover but I have a lot of time and I am sure one day Discover will match my other cards Smiley Happy - Good luck and lots of success !
Message 13 of 14
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Capital One has been good to many including me. I would apply for a regular rewards card from capital one. Or wait another 6 months and try to go the executive office route.

A 39 ANNUAL FEE isn't that much if it helps you rebuild credit in the overall scheme of things. IMHO. Soon you can have better credit and get that back in rewards when your credit is better.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.