cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay CLI with a HP - your experience?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay CLI with a HP - your experience?

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

For the people that have requested a CLI from Barclay with a HP, what were your results? Do you think it was worth it? 

Why would you use a HP for a CLI with Barclays when you can do it with an SP?  Just call the number on the back of your card, tell them you want to check on lowering your APR and they should transfer you to another CSR.  Ask for APR reduction and then ask if there are any SP CLIs available.

Doesn't work for everybody. When my NFL card hit a year in January I tried it. Two different phone calls. No joy. This month my Sallie Mae hit a year so I tried it, and tried the NFL again. A couple phone calls each. No joy. Barclays doesn't like me.

Look when you score updates and call the following day and your results my vary... I always hit them a day or two after my barclays score has updated..  Once every 6 months is typical.  Just how I do it and never failed me yetSmiley Happy.  As you kow barclay's doesn't do their TU SP sometimes for 2 month periods if you are after that 1st month aka 30 or 31 day they wont have an offer or at least that is how i see it.

Mine finally updated a couple days ago after nothing since February but, of course, it was after I tried for a CLI. It is also finally showing the correct score. For a long time it was sitting at 749 with a notation about a PR, my tax lien that's been gone since Feb of last year. Same issue I was having with Discover, which has now also finally fixed.

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

For the people that have requested a CLI from Barclay with a HP, what were your results? Do you think it was worth it? 

Why would you use a HP for a CLI with Barclays when you can do it with an SP?  Just call the number on the back of your card, tell them you want to check on lowering your APR and they should transfer you to another CSR.  Ask for APR reduction and then ask if there are any SP CLIs available.

Agree with Irish. I have received a 3k auto CLI with Barclay after heavy use and very large payments at the 12 month mark for one of my cards, and received a 2k CLI when I called in for APR redux and asked about SP offers. Received some nice APR reductions as well. Never needed to do a HP and don't plan on it. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took a hp cli on my SM after about 4 months, limit was $5.7k asked and received a boost to $10k, so a $4.3k cli.  For me it was worth it at the time. I never received APR reductions and wanted to take advantage of a BT offer.

Message 13 of 26
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Is the idea to get your utilization down? Or just grow CLs for kicks?

If you're considering a HP for a CLI, maybe you'd consider apping for a new card - one with better rewards?

I tried once to get a SP CLI on Sallie Mae, but didn't get it. I did end up with an auto CLI after my 20th statement. It's not at all clear to me that spending played a role.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 26
masscredit
Valued Contributor

My utilization is good. It's usually in the 1-2% range.  I would just like to see the cards grow. Plus that helps to keep individual utilization down if I want to take advantage of an offer. Something that I could do is swap credit lines. I did that at the end of 2014. I'd probably go that route if I make a large Apple purchase but I really want them to grow. Looking at their list, if I was to apply for a new card, the only two that catch my eye are their Ring and Cash Forward cards. 

Maybe I've reached their maximum exposure limit for me. If so, it would be great if they would just say that. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 15 of 26
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I've read about doing this on here many times. I'll be trying it out, although I've read mixed results on whether they'll actually offer it to you. Worth a shot!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

they are awesome i got an increase to 2k from 500 after calling the recon. I had a very high balances on my other cards and my line with them was only 6 months

Message 17 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

Doesn't work for everybody. When my NFL card hit a year in January I tried it. Two different phone calls. No joy. This month my Sallie Mae hit a year so I tried it, and tried the NFL again. A couple phone calls each. No joy. Barclays doesn't like me.

Agreed. I never had any luck with this method either. Guess it just depends on your internal profile what they will and won't put on your account in terms of offers.

I think, realistically, if you really want a substantial CLI, you're better off taking the hard pull and asking for what you want and getting it over with (assuming your profile supports it and the card has some history etc), vs creeping up slowly with possible SP CLIs.

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

My utilization is good. It's usually in the 1-2% range.  I would just like to see the cards grow. Plus that helps to keep individual utilization down if I want to take advantage of an offer. Something that I could do is swap credit lines. I did that at the end of 2014. I'd probably go that route if I make a large Apple purchase but I really want them to grow. Looking at their list, if I was to apply for a new card, the only two that catch my eye are their Ring and Cash Forward cards. 

Maybe I've reached their maximum exposure limit for me. If so, it would be great if they would just say that. 

Your last line hit the spot.

Just tell us .....

Message 19 of 26
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

Your last line hit the spot.

Just tell us .....

I'd encourage you to be careful what you wish for. At some point, the risk of AA due to having too much available credit can exceed the risk of AA due to (for now hypothetical) moderately high individual utilization.

I run that risk, too, but at least I get good travel bonuses.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.