cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Cards VS American Express Cards, which one would you choose and why?

tag
mattmix36
Contributor

Re: Barclay Cards VS American Express Cards, which one would you choose and why?

The chase biz card is an awesome card!  I will add however that my home business was approved for this card (Chase Ink Cash) without having any other credit before.  They did, however, HP my personal credit as part of the process.  My business is also an LLC with an EIN (giving it maybe more cred than a sole propreitorship...even though that's really what it is).

+1 to the 5% on cable/phone/internet

With the BCP and US Bank Cash plus, I'll be getting 5% off of gas with penfed, 5% on my cable/internet/phone with Chase Ink, 6% on grocceries with BCP, and 5% at restaraunts/fast food with the US Bank Cash Plus.

Bottom line, the Chase Ink is awesome! It will save my roughly $20/month with my current cable/internet/phone bills.

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 11 of 23
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay Cards VS American Express Cards, which one would you choose and why?

The amex business simply cash card is very similar.

Your Card at a Glance

5% | 5% | 3% | 1%

How does the Card earn you cash back?

• 5% cash back at U.S. office supply stores
  • 5% cash back on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers
  • 3% cash back on the category of your choice from a list of select categories
  • 1% cash back on other purchases

It also is approved based on your personal credit, but reports only to business credit--as long as you aren't in default.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 12 of 23
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

RED_Knives

I was recently approved for the AMEX BCP with a limit of $6,000 this past weekend. I don't have the thickest file, only being 23. My FICO EQ-705, and TU-698 - only two they pulled.

Average Account Age 1Yr 8Mos

Oldest Open Account 4 Yrs 6 Mos

Just throwing that out there so you have an idea. I have heard scores needed to be closer to 725ish, but I was instantly approved. So, if that is a card you are interested in I'd give it a go soon if I were you. Hope this helps. Good luck!! Keep us updatd on the choice. 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 13 of 23
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@striehl8212 wrote:

RED_Knives

I was recently approved for the AMEX BCP with a limit of $6,000 this past weekend. I don't have the thickest file, only being 23. My FICO EQ-705, and TU-698 - only two they pulled.

Average Account Age 1Yr 8Mos

Oldest Open Account 4 Yrs 6 Mos

Just throwing that out there so you have an idea. I have heard scores needed to be closer to 725ish, but I was instantly approved. So, if that is a card you are interested in I'd give it a go soon if I were you. Hope this helps. Good luck!! Keep us updatd on the choice. 

Wow, I thought Amex pulled strictly ex...

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 14 of 23
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

That's what I thought!! Smiley Surprised

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 15 of 23
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

@RED_Knives wrote:
I'll research Amex revolver right now. never herd of it.

Smiley Happy

$26500 Amex EDP / $20000 Merrill+ / $12000 Chase Sapphire Preferred / $12000 Chase British Airways / $7500 Barclays Arrival+ / $7500 FIA Amex / $7500 Paypal Extras MC / $7000 Chase Freedom / $3500 Discover It
Message 16 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

You may want to wait until the new amex cards launch  (I think next month) to see what better suits your needs. 

+1.  Unless you really have a dying need to do it this month, I think everyone considering applying for a BCE/BCP (and possibly BS/BSP) should wait to see the final details of the new cards as they may be a better choice for many (not that anyone should get the BCE anyway!)   The downside is that sign up bonuses MIGHT go down on BCE/BCP as Amex tries to push the new cards, but we have no idea if that will happen.

Message 17 of 23
NikoD
Regular Contributor

I think the BCE does have a benefit to the few people who spend very little on groceries. The BCP 6% cash back is great but if you only spend $100 a month at grocery stores, the extra % doesn't cover the AF of the BCP.

Message 18 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

My unreasoning hatred of the BCE is not compared to the BCP.  It's that the Sallie Mae card is almost certainly better for nearly everyone than the BCE.  The exception is if someone wants their first Amex, and there the new Everyday might still be better.

Message 19 of 23
NikoD
Regular Contributor

Oh, OK. I understand what you mean now. I thought you were just comparing the BCE and BCP to each other. You're right about the Sallie Mae being better for low spenders than the BCE.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.