Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Closed my Apple Credit Card, without Notice

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay Closed my Apple Credit Card, without Notice

Sorry about closing the account.  I just checked my Travelocity Amex and it's still open.  Everything is ok. I applied a lot of cards after I got approved six months ago.  May be be I got lucky.

Ron.

Message 21 of 86
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Hmmm, interesting responses. It looks like some people are opening new accounts within in the initial six month period and still not getting closed. Interesting. I wonder if it's a combination of a few things (new accounts, new INQ's, high utl% across the board, etc). Maybe if all these things add up -- they close it? I racked up high utl on my three cards (60% total) and they did not close me.

With my credit profile being so viotile I cannot afford to have Barlcays closed.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 22 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, at least a couple of times per year, we end up with a monster thread or two about Barclays CLDs and closures due to new accounts and/or INQs. Some members have even reported getting closed or CLD'd after adding Barclays as the last card in an app spree... a few months later, Barclay's takes AA, citing new accounts or INQs that were present when the account was opened, for example.

Sorry to hear about your closure, jo75olds, but thanks for the alert. It's a good reminder to all with Barclay's products that they are very sensitive to new accounts and even INQs.

Message 23 of 86
quest208
Frequent Contributor

hey OP i am curious:

how are your balances reporting at the time of close?

i know you have new accounts, do those new accounts have balances?  did your balances in your barclays increase when you obtained those new accounts?

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 24 of 86
insidious28
New Contributor

jo75olds,

Sorry to hear this about your Barclays card.  After reading this I had to login into my Barclays account and see if anything has happened to me.  Still active as of now.  I opened an NFL card with them in November and since then I opened a walmart discover card, dillard's amex card, amex true earnings business card, and most recently a discover more card.  Checked all my credit reports and no softs from barclays.  Maybe I'm just lucky but I would not want it closed for any reason but if it was I would not sweat it and just move onto another lender.

Starting Score: EQ 686, TU 722, EX 702
Current Score: EQ 838 (01/08/14 MyFico), TU 836 (01/14/14 Wally), EX 832 (01/14/14 FNBO)
Goal Score: 800+ Across The Board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 86
CS800
Super Contributor

I think i will log on to my Barclay twice a week to check if its still active Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 86
john398
Senior Contributor

The only inq I have after my barclays apple is a refinance inq from quicken hopefully that wnt trigger barclays

Message 27 of 86
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about your account closure.  I opened my Barclays last year and waited the full 6 months before apping.  I hope you get some movement with a recon with them but from all the threads I have read regarding recon, they ususally don't budge but it's not unheard of... Good Luck!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 28 of 86
learnin113
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I think i will log on to my Barclay twice a week to check if its still active Smiley Happy

I log on almost daily and kinda stopped using the cardSmiley Sad

Message 29 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read alot about their practices and they have every right too. Just IMHO I do not need to audition for a company and try to pray I am in their good graces when I PIF every CC. When you talk to them its an audition/interview...They can keep their Cap One like CL's. Cap One in my case has higher CL's and have had CLI's unlike my Barclay. Barclays=SD

Message 30 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.