Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Closed my Apple Credit Card, without Notice

tag
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay Closed my Apple Credit Card, without Notice

I think what I'm hearing above is the theory that if you are approved but not top-tier, they want to soft you to watch you.

You know who is doing that to me now?  Citi.  I just opened an account with them and used 1/3 the available credit for a BT. The first statment has not even cut (it will be generated today) and they have softed my EX at least twice now!  Yesterday and a week or two ago.  I was wondering what they are looking for. I wanted to make a first payment but I can't - since there has been no statement yet with a balance, it will not allow me to pay (online, anyway - I guess I could have mailed them a check.) 

I do have two new inquiries on EX since opening the account.  I wonder if they actually get a notification from the CRA, like if they pay for some service where EX tells them I have new activity, and that's why they do a soft.  I know that sounds extra-paranoid.  I hope they don't close my new account.

Valued Contributor

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

I think what I'm hearing above is the theory that if you are approved but not top-tier, they want to soft you to watch you.

You know who is doing that to me now?  Citi.  I just opened an account with them and used 1/3 the available credit for a BT. The first statment has not even cut (it will be generated today) and they have softed my EX at least twice now!  Yesterday and a week or two ago.  I was wondering what they are looking for. I wanted to make a first payment but I can't - since there has been no statement yet with a balance, it will not allow me to pay (online, anyway - I guess I could have mailed them a check.) 

I do have two new inquiries on EX since opening the account.  I wonder if they actually get a notification from the CRA, like if they pay for some service where EX tells them I have new activity, and that's why they do a soft.  I know that sounds extra-paranoid.  I hope they don't close my new account.

I remember a discussion on this before and someone suggested or had a theory that folks that were initially declined by Barclays, and re-conned to be approved, had their accounts watched and for the first 6 months. Any new or excessive inquires and their account was closed.  While others that were approved instantly by Barclays, had new accounts, new INQs being reported and did not get any AA to their Barclays account. So its possible, but I dont believe it has been proven.

Message 72 of 86
Ron1
Super Contributor

I had Citi Forward Visa three years ago and I didn't owe them anything. They refused to renew without any reason. I called them they didn't know what's the reason. Nowadays, banks don't like people using BT checks and accounts with balances.  Citi , BofA, and Discover send those checks almost every months and it went into the shredder. Those checks were 0% BT with fees.  It wasn't tempting.  I didn't want to owe them again. It's hard to pay it down once you owe them.

Ron.

Message 73 of 86
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jo75olds wrote:

Ok I called Barclay's and was on the phone with a guy for an hour, they pulled my card off for the sole reason of there being:

1- High amount of INQs BEFORE I opened the account

2 - New INQs after I opened the account, one for the capital one card, and one for Verizon Wireless -.-

They will not re open the account, I was told to re-apply in a cupple of months

Jim

Wow, that really is bizarre.   So they initally approved you with your CR showing a large number of inquiries.....

Then you requested a CLI, and they noticed two more inquiries, freaked out, and closed your card.

Curious, how many INQs are showing on your TU report now ??  I'm assuming that they pulled TU....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 74 of 86
Ron1
Super Contributor

I got a lot of inquiries on my TU because they pulled four times when I applied for the card and I also applied some other cards. I'm sure I have more inquiries than OP. It should have been me instead of me closing the account.  Again, it might have been CLI trigger the account closing.  They closed my account many years ago after I asked for CLI.  It's easier to open and close.  I wasn't able to get approved for a card for a long time after they closed my account.  They always gave me a lame excuse.  I just looked at my report and they haven't soft pulled since 11/14.

Ron.

Message 75 of 86
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

That's interesting that they offer BTs but possibly don't want people to really use them.  It would be OK with me if they closed my account after I do the second BT I plan to do (I would prefer that they not, of course, but I could live with it) because my reason for BT-ing is to get in great standing with USAA.  Not long ago I was maxed out on three USAA cards.  I obtained a fourth USAA card, miraculously, and never rant that up, and I have nearly paid off the other three cards.  Two are paid off and the last one is half paid off.  The BT will make it completely paid off.  All of my USAA cards will then have zero balances aside from occasional or small-dollar-amount usage.

Then, if Citi decides to dump me, then  - oh well, at least I stayed in good with my first and best friend - USAA. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

If barclay did that to me, they would never get any business from me ever again.

On the bad side, you lose the CL

On the good side, the account was closed in good standing and you keep the age.

Forget them, you can get much better cards without crazy APR's

Message 77 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jo75olds wrote:

Ok I called Barclay's and was on the phone with a guy for an hour, they pulled my card off for the sole reason of there being:

1- High amount of INQs BEFORE I opened the account

2 - New INQs after I opened the account, one for the capital one card, and one for Verizon Wireless -.-

They will not re open the account, I was told to re-apply in a cupple of months

Jim

Damn that sucks! How many INQ's before applying and do you remember what your score was then?

Message 78 of 86
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

If barclay did that to me, they would never get any business from me ever again.

This is where i'm at with them right now. I pay my bills on time, if they want to close for a single INQ go ahead. I have other cards, I do like Barclays and would love to keep ot in my collection but i'm not about to worry myself about a CCC when I fulfill my obligations.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 79 of 86
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

This is where i'm at with them right now. I pay my bills on time, if they want to close for a single INQ go ahead. I have other cards, I do like Barclays and would love to keep ot in my collection but i'm not about to worry myself about a CCC when I fulfill my obligations.

This is really bizarre, they already knew about the INQs. And frankly, so what if you do others, so long as you keep their account paid? I personally don't understand why that is such a big concern.

I have a new Barclays, I just used it for the first time today, for lunch, mainly using it just so I can use it occasionally as I'd like to see a CLI at some point down the line from them. I haven't checked my report to see if they are softing it, I will check and report back sometime soon. They did initially deny me, then gave me the card on recon.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 80 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.