Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Credit line decrease I hate it

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclay Credit line decrease I hate it

@pa850 wrote:
This happened to me in February of this year. I had high utilization on several cars for several months. I had to pay for round the clock nursing care for a sick relative. They CLD from 4000 to 500. Well the relative passed away in February and I was able to get my utilization down to less than 30% very quickly. I contacted Barclay's and they re-instated the credit line.

excellent post.

Although i'm sure it was painful at the time you didn't hastily close the card because of some personal wrongdoing to you, by them. Called them when your crisis was over and got you limit back.

I trash Ring with checks deposited into my personal account, no swipes, etc. and will take this advice when they chop my limit.  Thanks for the post.

Message 71 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:
Just sharing a few thoughts below Smiley Happy
@Benzman wrote:

Had a 1k limit available on Rewards, this indicates a fairly marginal approval (1k limit)

hadn't used it for about 8 months,  non-usage for extended periods may cause issues

they sent BT checks, so I figured do a small BT just to give the card some business and keep it active.

Total BT was only for $250. Even before first payment was due, they lower CL to $500, putting util over 50%.

On Ring, I had 4K limit available, put the cost of a funeral cremation that was $1.2K, again

since I hadnt used the card for 6 months non-usage for extended periods may cause issues. This happens with Synchrony and other banks, as well.

to keep it active.

If you BT'd two things on Barclay's at the same time, with other possible changes in your profile, it could have created a utilization spike or a sudden increase in debt

I am sorry it happened to you. A few questions if you would be kind enough to share with us : What was your overall utilization at the time, and total debt?  What were the specific reasons they gave for slicing the limits?

Also, what other things may have changed in your profile (new card applications, increase in total debt). Increase in total debt is a big one because it scares lenders.

I notice a lot of cards in your signature (about 31 cards) and it may also have had to do with adding a lot of new accounts quickly with a fairly young AAoA, just speculating.

I'm not saying it was ok what happened. Not at all.  I am saying there are factors that concerned them.

I'm really sorry it happened in any event, benzman. I don't think you're a bad seed and I know it's upsetting when it happens.

Message 72 of 78
elim
Senior Contributor

taxi turned me on to Prism long ago.  I can't live without it.  It has saved my butt a couple times now with the 25+ bills I pay per month when I didn't finish a payment or when my bank changed hands. Great tool.

https://www.prismmoney.com/

Message 73 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

taxi turned me on to Prism long ago.  I can't live without it.  It has saved my butt a couple times now with the 25+ bills I pay per month when I didn't finish a payment or when my bank changed hands. Great tool.

I have all of my payment due dates set to the same date each month and I pay them all on the same day. No payment database needed and it works really well.

But everyone is different, and what works for one may not work for another. Smiley Happy

Message 74 of 78
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

I have all of my payment due dates set to the same date each month and I pay them all on the same day. No payment database needed and it works really well.

But everyone is different, and what works for one may not work for another. Smiley Happy

I used to do that but myFICO app was blowing up for a week when all my statements cut, then It would be a long walk through the desert with no alerts whatsoever.  It works for me this way.

Message 75 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

I used to do that but myFICO app was blowing up for a week when all my statements cut, then It would be a long walk through the desert with no alerts whatsoever.  It works for me this way.

LOL@ elim regarding long walk through the desert. Totally understandable, my friend. Glad it is working out. Smiley Happy

Message 76 of 78
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote

I am sorry it happened to you. A few questions if you would be kind enough to share with us : What was your overall utilization at the time, and total debt?  What were the specific reasons they gave for slicing the limits?

Also, what other things may have changed in your profile (new card applications, increase in total debt). Increase in total debt is a big one because it scares lenders.

I notice a lot of cards in your signature (about 31 cards) and it may also have had to do with adding a lot of new accounts quickly with a fairly young AAoA, just speculating.

3% overall UTIL, over 3/4 of all cards 0 balance. Total debt around 6K (3K of which remains on a car lease)

No big increases, not many new apps in that time frame. Their reasoning was too many new accounts and inquiries past 12 months. Seemed funny nothing happened UNTIL I did the BT.

One of my friends said I should have called and pointed out it was for a funeral. I said, do you think they really care? I didn't call, didn't email, could care less, it's done.

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 77 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benzman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote

3% overall UTIL, over 3/4 of all cards 0 balance. Total debt around 6K (3K of which remains on a car lease)

No big increases, not many new apps in that time frame. Their reasoning was too many new accounts and inquiries past 12 months. Seemed funny nothing happened UNTIL I did the BT.

One of my friends said I should have called and pointed out it was for a funeral. I said, do you think they really care? I didn't call, didn't email, could care less, it's done.

Thanks benzman. Unfortunately BT's do draw attention to our accounts when we do them, with pretty much any lender. Kind of puts us under the microscope. Smiley Sad

Maybe they would have let things slide if 2 BT's had not been involved, but it probably depends on the actual number of new accounts and inquiries. They might have let 3 slide, whereas with 6 they might not, especially if your AAoA is pretty young.

Message 78 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.