Barclay Financing Visa Card ??

tag
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclay Financing Visa Card ??

@Iincognito wrote:

@hyprble wrote:

Hello,

I applied for the Barclay's financing Visa in hopes of getting 12 months to pay off my new iMac.

Scores were as follows:

- TU (fako through creditkarma) 759

- EQ (at the time) 713

AAoA about 7 years

Debt to credit 38%

no lates or negative tradelines, 0 inquiries in the last year (1 inquiry after they pulled this one)

I qualified for $500 which was only good enough for 6 months interest free.  (definitely the lowest amount of all my cards)  In retrospect I wish I never applied because I didn't want to drop my AAoA and don't need any need cards - not to mention the unnecessary inquiry ding!  Anything I can do with this card after I pay off the $490?  Product changes, etc?

Hi hyprble,

I applied for the barclaycard financing Visa a few months ago and was instantly approved for a $1490 credit line; I called recon and was approved for $4000. You might want to call to see if they can do anything for you.

Hi Iincognito,

Thanks for the tip!  Unfortunately I already made my purchase at the store (charged up $490/500 and the remaining $2k on my other card) so I'm no longer eligible for the 12 months interest free, but it's definitely worth a try for me to talk to Barclays recon to get a higher credit limit so it doesn't look like I'm maxed out and to help my debt to credit ratio.  Did you call the normal backdoor number on the first thread?  Any tips on what I should say since I already made my purchase?

Thanks,

Hyprble

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ngerasimatos wrote:

Are you sure you want a Mac for school? Most applications and such dont work with OSX. You may end up running a virtual machine most of the time just to get your school work completed. 

Just saying...........

I've yet to find anything that I actually use, other than games, that won't run on my Mac. If there is something, just partition the HD and make part of it Windows. That's the whole beauty of a Mac --you can make it both an Apple machine and a Wintel machine.

Of course, then you're vulnerable to all the Windows viruses and assorted crap... Smiley Tongue

The only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing, that I miss about Windows is Windows Media Player. I'm not a fan of iTunes/ Jukebox. Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue

Sorry for the threadjack, OP, back to you. Good luck in your quest!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 18
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I would not have combined the 2 CC's as OP did- $500 and $2000.  I would have CL reconsidered for either the Apple card or the 2k CC.  Actually I might've just Sd'ed the $500 if recon didn't work on both CC's and apped for a new and higher CL CC. 

It just seems to me that combining 2 CC for one purchase is not "frugal"...

EDIT:  Wasn't paying attention.  It was Hyprble that combined CC's.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 13 of 18
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Not trying to hi-jack this thread as well, but I am an systems engineer and there is a terrible misconception flooding the internet that OSX is safer than Windows.

In fact, its totally the opposite.

From an engineering standpoint, any OS is susceptible to being cracked. If someone wants in bad enough, they can and will find a way. The easiest of all is through networking.  Not sure if anyone pays attention, but recently a hacker showed that he was able to hack any ATM he had come across through various different methods. 

Anyway, as more users adopt the Mac (OSX-FreeBSD-UNIX) platform, the platform also starts to gain malicious users whom will spend time looking for ways to exploit the OS. There never was a beneficial reason int he past for people to exploit such systems as the ROi was very little, but as such with Apple gaining market share its becoming more and more apparent that its not as impregnable as people may think.  

So, to sum it all up. Its actually the user who makes the errors, not the OS. Think before you click. Smiley Happy

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15605/hacker_pwn2own_organizer_windows_7_is_safer_than_snow_leopard

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 14 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Thanks for the clarification!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 18
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Hey I use an iMac!!!  This is scary...

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 16 of 18
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

@hyprble wrote:

@Iincognito wrote:

@hyprble wrote:

Hello,

I applied for the Barclay's financing Visa in hopes of getting 12 months to pay off my new iMac.

Scores were as follows:

- TU (fako through creditkarma) 759

- EQ (at the time) 713

AAoA about 7 years

Debt to credit 38%

no lates or negative tradelines, 0 inquiries in the last year (1 inquiry after they pulled this one)

I qualified for $500 which was only good enough for 6 months interest free.  (definitely the lowest amount of all my cards)  In retrospect I wish I never applied because I didn't want to drop my AAoA and don't need any need cards - not to mention the unnecessary inquiry ding!  Anything I can do with this card after I pay off the $490?  Product changes, etc?

Hi hyprble,

I applied for the barclaycard financing Visa a few months ago and was instantly approved for a $1490 credit line; I called recon and was approved for $4000. You might want to call to see if they can do anything for you.

Hi Iincognito,

Thanks for the tip!  Unfortunately I already made my purchase at the store (charged up $490/500 and the remaining $2k on my other card) so I'm no longer eligible for the 12 months interest free, but it's definitely worth a try for me to talk to Barclays recon to get a higher credit limit so it doesn't look like I'm maxed out and to help my debt to credit ratio.  Did you call the normal backdoor number on the first thread?  Any tips on what I should say since I already made my purchase?

Thanks,

Hyprble

Hi Hyprble,

I called their customer service department and asked to be transferred to their credit review department. I told the rep that I did not plan to purchase an Apple product and that I was going to use this card as a regular revolving credit line. He told me that people generally apply for the iTunes card (black one) for that purpose, but took a closer look at my credit report and offered a $4000 credit line. Unfortuantely, a product change was not possible at that time. Hopefully this helps you in your quest...

Message 17 of 18
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Hi,

I figured I'd update my attempt at a recon - I called the backdoor number and mentioned my $500 limit.  They'd like to see more credit history with them (I applied for the card about 3 weeks ago).  I was also asked why a lot of my credit lines were lowered (uh, ask anyone about last year when lots of credit card companies were chasing down balances - they failed to acknowledge that other cards raised my limits, but I don't think the CR shows it).  The whole point of my applying was to have 12 month interest free financing, but because I only qualified for $500 I only got 6 months which I could've gotten with my other card.  I didn't get a clear answer when I asked if I could call back after a few months to try again for a CLI.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.  At least I have 5 more months interest free which I'll pay off.  Then it's off to the sock drawer.  If this account closes due to inactivity, will it affect my credit score that much?  It's a $500 card and by then I'll have paid down my other credit card balances enough that my debt to credit will be better.  Thanks for listening to my rant Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.