Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Question - switching credit lines

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Barclay Question - switching credit lines

I have two Barclay cards. The Apple card has a $6000. limit and the Rewards card has a $2500. limit.  The Apple card was at $8500. When I applied for the Rewards card it was origionally denied. I called to recon and the rep suggested that they approve it but take some of the credit line from the Apple card and give it to the new one. 

I use the Rewards card a lot more. Main reason is... for the rewards. I'm thinking it would be better if my credit lines were swapped. I don't think this will matter but my next 6 month anniversary is coming up for each card soon. Apple card is on the 24th Oct and Rewards is on the 16th of Nov. Think I'll harm anything by requesting that they swap CLs now?  Oh, has anyone requested something like this before?  Based on what happened when I got the Rewards card, I think it should be able to be done.

Thanks!

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay Question - switching credit lines

@masscredit wrote:

I have two Barclay cards. The Apple card has a $6000. limit and the Rewards card has a $2500. limit.  The Apple card was at $8500. When I applied for the Rewards card it was origionally denied. I called to recon and the rep suggested that they approve it but take some of the credit line from the Apple card and give it to the new one. 

I use the Rewards card a lot more. Main reason is... for the rewards. I'm thinking it would be better if my credit lines were swapped. I don't think this will matter but my next 6 month anniversary is coming up for each card soon. Apple card is on the 24th Oct and Rewards is on the 16th of Nov. Think I'll harm anything by requesting that they swap CLs now?  Oh, has anyone requested something like this before?  Based on what happened when I got the Rewards card, I think it should be able to be done.

Thanks!

You should be able to do it.  Just contact the backdoor number for Barclays (instead of frontline CSRs) to request the CL swap.  And, if you no longer would see a need for your Apple Financing CC, then have the entire CL transferred to your Rewards MC.

Message 2 of 6
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

From my experience - you will have no problem doing this - BUT - it would be better to wait to see if both or even one  card gets aCLI.  -Barclays is pretty consistent with their increases -  but there is always a chance that having a higher limit on the rewards card now will determine how much of aCLI you will get or if you get one at all. That might view the reallocation of CL as an increase.   I was in a similar situation last year -  I wanted to combine lines - but was anticipatingCLIs on both cards.  In my case - those increases came a couple of months apart - but were well worth the wait.  As soon as the second one came in - I combined the cards and closed one.

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 3 of 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I would wait it out and see if there is an auto CLI and only after change the CL unless it is really urgent Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had two Barclay cards and then go a Black Card.  I had them divide the rewards card between th LL Bean Visa and the Black Card.  Was very easy.  

Message 5 of 6
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. Waiting will probably be the best thing to do. This isn't something that I have to do right now.

Both cards have their own benefits so I don't want to close one. I can call Barclay if I want to finance an Apple purchase and have them apply 0% financing for qualified purchases. The Apple card went from $5500. to $8500. when it auto-increased in April. We dropped that back to $6000. when they approved the Rewards card. Hoping to recover that amount later this month and see a decent increase on the Rewards card next month. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.