Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Recon?

tag
ultimatefighter
Valued Member

Re: Barclay Recon?

I second the motion Smiley Wink that they are both legit Visa Credit Cards you can use anywhere.

I/We (my wife) just purchased an iPad2 on 12/27/2011 via the Apple website and just before payment you get a solicitation/promotion to apply for the (Barclays) Apple Visa Card with a 0% APR for 6 months or 12 months on your Apple Store purchase based on your purchase amount (<$600 6 months or >$600 12 months). I figured not a bad deal and heard good things about Barclay being very kind on credit approval since we (wife & I) had a joint BK in 2006. My wife applied and was approved instantly for $2000. From there, since you don't have the actual card, the "system" is supposed to automatically register it into your Apple payment screen to pay for your Apple purchase but either because of timing out or too many open windows or tabs our payment screen did not default to the Apple Visa Card for payment. It had our Chase Rewards Mastercard we use for iTunes purchases. We called Barclays explained the situation and the nice CSR helped us out and gave us step by step directions to reload the info by doing a "check status" and this time it worked and all the info of my wife's just approved Apple Visa Card automatically went into the Apple payment screen. We were about to hang up but decided to ask about the Apple iTunes Visa Card and specifically would she qualify for it since she qualified for the Apple Visa Card. He said the criteria to qualify is the same but the Apple iTunes Visa Card does not have that 0% special financing option and instead has the iTunes rewards as their promotion. He recommended I can always also apply for that one in the future. He stated several customers have both.

So based on my info and first hand recent experience, one is not harder to get than the other. If you qualify for one, you would qualify for the other, however, the benefits are different. Long term, the Apple iTunes Visa Card is "better" I feel, but I/we use our Chase Rewards Mastercard for our primary use card because of the rewards ... which includes iTunes gift cards ... so for us the short term "reward" of 0% APR/Financing for 6 months on our iPad2 was better. However, if I didn't have a good rewards card, I'd highly recommend applying for the Apple iTunes Visa Card especially if you use iTunes a lot and since Barclays is very good about their approval process as experienced by us and what many have noted on this board.  

Current Score: EQUIFAX 706
Current Score: EXPERIAN 712
Current Score: TRANS UNION 722
BK in 10/2005

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tamgelikah wrote:

However, if I didn't have a good rewards card, I'd highly recommend applying for the Apple iTunes Visa Card especially if you use iTunes a lot and since Barclays is very good about their approval process as experienced by us and what many have noted on this board.  

Barclay reward boost website now promote 2.5 extra "points" for itunes purchase by clicking through its link and "points" on different reward programs vary a lot in values. 1 point on Itunes card equals to $0.01 while 1 point on travelocity card equals to $0.02. This translates to 4.5% cash back on itunes purchase on itunes card VS 7% cash back on travelocity card. Not that apple itunes card is bad but travelocity card just yields higher return. 

Message 12 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@DimitriTodd wrote:

So I was approved for a Apple Visa about 1.5 weeks ago and then I decided to try for the Travelocity Amex and was approved. Barclay approved my Apple Visa at $2K, but the Travelocity Amex was only approved for $500. I called back to do a recon for CLI to $3K after I recieved the card and was denied. I travel a lot and spend about $3-4K per month in travel expenses. My question is should I call for another recon for them to aleast match my Apple Visa?

I would try, cant lose anything.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 14
ultimatefighter
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@tamgelikah wrote:

However, if I didn't have a good rewards card, I'd highly recommend applying for the Apple iTunes Visa Card especially if you use iTunes a lot and since Barclays is very good about their approval process as experienced by us and what many have noted on this board.  

Barclay reward boost website now promote 2.5 extra "points" for itunes purchase by clicking through its link and "points" on different reward programs vary a lot in values. 1 point on Itunes card equals to $0.01 while 1 point on travelocity card equals to $0.02. This translates to 4.5% cash back on itunes purchase on itunes card VS 7% cash back on travelocity card. Not that apple itunes card is bad but travelocity card just yields higher return. 

Agreed ... but it does appear based on the info on the boards that the Travelocity AMEX card (I assume that's the one you are referring to) is a bit harder to get than the Apple iTunes Visa card. So if you have less than great credit, rebuilding, have a ding or two, you still can get the Apple iTunes Visa card but you may not be able to get the Travelocity AMEX card ... though I will be sharing/posting my experience with the Travelocity AMEX soon.

Current Score: EQUIFAX 706
Current Score: EXPERIAN 712
Current Score: TRANS UNION 722
BK in 10/2005

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.