Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Rewards CLI?

tag
1StepCloser

Barclay Rewards CLI?

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this site and I finally have the guts to post something! lol  Ok so here goes...

I was just approved for a Barclay rewards card on 12/9/13 with a $1500 CL. I transferred the balances from my nasty ugly fp and c1 card to the Barclay and I currently have $60 available on the Barclay *feels so terrible*

I wanted to know if I'm pushing it by asking for a cli with Barclay just so my utilization ratio wont look so bad. I haven't had the card for that long so Im scared to call and ask. 

Things to consider:

1. I have 3 new inquiries on my report since the Barclay approval. One Discover and citi bank hp *both denials*

2. I was approved for the PayPal Smart connect with a 800 cl (the 3rd HP) 12/15/13

3. I have 1 judgment 10/2008 and 1 tax lien 06/2013

4. I currently have balances on Capital One $297 and and care credit $307

5. You can see my cl for each card in my signature

If I am missing any info please let me know....

Thanks guys!!

Starting Score: EQ 565, EX UK, TU 676
Current Score: EQ 565, EX UK, TU 676
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay Rewards CLI?

Why would you want to max out a card? :-/ I can understand the 0% interest though.... I have no idea how that affects you if you're not going to apply for a card or anything any time soon. I'm sure someone will come along and educate us, or I hope.

Don't apply for anything in the near future. Congrats on getting Barclays though!

My recommendation: Close first premier if there are fees involved. Yes, I know it will raise your utilization but some things are just worth it. I doubt any AA would come from that. I would call Barclays and ask if they would consider raising your limit just because you know that maxing a card isn't good, but that you wanted to save some money and balance transfer, that if they can't you understand but was hoping that they could.  You don't need to pay for all of that with FP.  You have barclays and cap1 and walmart.. those three are all good enough to keep and nurture. That Wal-Mart card will grow, I know. Keep Fingerhut open if you feel like you won't utilize it.. there are far too many products out there cheaper and higher quality than in that magazine.

Just my $0.02.. Good luck

Message 2 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@1StepCloser wrote:

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this site and I finally have the guts to post something! lol  Ok so here goes...

I was just approved for a Barclay rewards card on 12/9/13 with a $1500 CL. I transferred the balances from my nasty ugly fp and c1 card to the Barclay and I currently have $60 available on the Barclay *feels so terrible*

I wanted to know if I'm pushing it by asking for a cli with Barclay just so my utilization ratio wont look so bad. I haven't had the card for that long so Im scared to call and ask. 

Things to consider:

1. I have 3 new inquiries on my report since the Barclay approval. One Discover and citi bank hp *both denials*

2. I was approved for the PayPal Smart connect with a 800 cl (the 3rd HP) 12/15/13

3. I have 1 judgment 10/2008 and 1 tax lien 06/2013

4. I currently have balances on Capital One $297 and and care credit $307

5. You can see my cl for each card in my signature

If I am missing any info please let me know....

Thanks guys!!

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your approval with Barclay.  The time to ask for a CLI IMO was at approval.  Now you risk the chance of a hp and or them taking another look at your inq's.  

I would work on getting your util down and hope for the best in 5 mos

Message 3 of 5
1StepCloser

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the response! Yes I was planning on cutting off first premier and credit one completely because the apr and af are WAY too high. FP is charging me 36% apr and credit one 24% apr... not as bad as fp but still high.... I never used the Fingerhut card because of those reasons that you stated! lol but I applied for it when I was starting to  rebuild my credit. I did not want to max out any of the cards but, my back is against the wall. The apr is ridiculous. I can afford it but that's not the point. I literally paid $300 in interest alone this past year with fp so as you can imagine I am desperate to close that card. I pay more then the minimum payment and I wind up back at square one after interest and fees apply. I do not have balances on any other card except for the carecredit, capital one and now Barclay with the bt. I figured I shouldn't push my luck but I needed a second opinion...

One more thing I forgot to add, I have a auto loan that I'm currently upside down in *urrrgghhh* I have been paying on time for a year. I owe 14k but car is worth 9k (Kelly blue book trade in value)

Message 4 of 5
1StepCloser

Yeah I think your right.... I will garden for now and pay off everyone before poking at barclays lol.

Thanks 09Lexie!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.