Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Rewards CLOSED

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay Rewards CLOSED

@barbaralee wrote:

I'm sorry, but I think if anyone is getting flack here it is me for questioning whether it was the best decision. 

I don't sense or have inferred from any posts that suggests you're getting any "flack".  For the OP, unless there's a purpose for the card (or, anything else in life), there's no reason to keep something around, if it serves no purpose.

For instance, it would make no sense to close CSP, if a person has UR points and wish to transfer them.  Nor, would it make sense to, say, close a Fid Amex, if it's the highest cashback earnings card.  But, a Barclay Rewards with a small CL?  I mean, why not close that, for whatever reason, right?

Message 21 of 60
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

@keithB wrote:

@TheClub wrote:

@destine2grow wrote:
If the OP wanted to close his account because he was not able to get an APR reduction that is his prerogative! We all do what is best for us.

+1

What OP did was positive. Not sure why others are throwing shade. I wouldn't keep it open neither whether they officially do APR decreases or not.

What a bunch of politcally correct mumbo jumbo.  Great for OP, I hope he's happy with his decission.

But if someone disagrees with OPs action they are "throwing shade"?  Some of you all should lighten up.  You are taking this whole being supportive to a level of enablement.  Being positive is great, but so is constructive criticism. I would hope that OP might learn something as to not make a rash decision based upon pride and the inability to do something that can rarely be done in the future.

If 9 out of 10 people fail to get APR reductions and OP doesn't realize that Barclay's rarely does so, is it rational for OP to cancel Barclay's because of this? IMO, it depends - if OP went in knowing he was fighting an uphill battle but didn't care about the tradeline one way or the other then great, good for OP. But if OP went in thinking he could strong arm Barclays where he let his pride get the better of him, dictate his actions, leading to the closing of the account, then maybe not so good.

KeithB I agree that the OP or anyone should not make decisions based on emotions. Barbaralee I asks have worked for a CCC. 

Everyone have made valid points. All I am saying is I have seen post where individual take the OP'S decision personal. At the end of the day it is heir credit journey. (Not saying Barbaralee was doing this and I don't feel like she was throwing shade). All we can do is give our opinion and advise at the end of the day. I personally would have exhausted all options before closing. (OP might have done this) which again is why I dislike when others question the OP of any thread. 

Message 22 of 60
taxi818
Super Contributor

@destine2grow wrote:
If the OP wanted to close his account because he was not able to get an APR reduction that is his prerogative! We all do what is best for us.

+1

Message 23 of 60
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@destine2grow wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@TheClub wrote:

@destine2grow wrote:

+1

What OP did was positive. Not sure why others are throwing shade. I wouldn't keep it open neither whether they officially do APR decreases or not.

What a bunch of politcally correct mumbo jumbo.  Great for OP, I hope he's happy with his decission.

But if someone disagrees with OPs action they are "throwing shade"?  Some of you all should lighten up.  You are taking this whole being supportive to a level of enablement.  Being positive is great, but so is constructive criticism. I would hope that OP might learn something as to not make a rash decision based upon pride and the inability to do something that can rarely be done in the future.

If 9 out of 10 people fail to get APR reductions and OP doesn't realize that Barclay's rarely does so, is it rational for OP to cancel Barclay's because of this? IMO, it depends - if OP went in knowing he was fighting an uphill battle but didn't care about the tradeline one way or the other then great, good for OP. But if OP went in thinking he could strong arm Barclays where he let his pride get the better of him, dictate his actions, leading to the closing of the account, then maybe not so good.

...(OP might have done this) which again is why I dislike when others question the OP of any thread. 

Where is the discussion then? If we don't question or disagree it will just be a bunch of high fiving, pats on the back.

Message 24 of 60
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well I did hear someone say. If cap 1 did not give cli they may as we'll cancel.  Person asked to speak to supervisor.  Then. Supervisor said. I can't help people with closed accounts. Guy went crazy because rep closed his account as he stated. But he was bluffing.  Sometimes we bite off more than we can chew.  Who knows.  I'm not gonna second guess why op canceled. He did it.  Be done with it.  It's his card. His right.  Good luck op. 

Message 25 of 60
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

@destine2grow wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@TheClub wrote:

@destine2grow wrote:

+1

...(OP might have done this) which again is why I dislike when others question the OP of any thread. 

Where is the discussion then? If we don't question or disagree it will just be a bunch of high fiving, pats on the back.

Let me be clear.... I dislike when others question any OP on why they made the decision to do whatever. Asking questions and giving advise IMO is fine. I just don't see the reason for me or others to question why someone mae the decision they did. We can of course say why we would have done it differently.

Message 26 of 60
keithB
Established Contributor

@destine2grow wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

@destine2grow wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@TheClub wrote:

@destine2grow wrote:

+1

Let me be clear.... I dislike when others question any OP on why they made the decision to do whatever. Asking questions and giving advise IMO is fine. I just don't see the reason for me or others to question why someone mae the decision they did. We can of course say why we would have done it differently.

There is a thread on this site that just recently a user with mid-800's posted that he/she was looking to get a Toys-R-Us card and two others, I don't remember.  But anyways, you should have seen the people jump on telling OP how many "better" cards OP could get instead of what OP wanted. And mind you, OP had mid-800s accross the board. Moral of the story, people are only trying to help.

Personally, I think OP doesn't have the scores to ask for a APR reduction and expect success.  I'm not bashing OP as my credit scores are about the same.  But IMO, trying to get special consideration out of a creditor means you are bringing something to the table.  Either a whole lot of spending or a great credit score. You can't just sit on a card and think you've paid your dues.

Again, I'm not saying OP is thinking like this but there really is't a whole lot of info to go by.  People want "rewards" or "cash back".  This is what drives the APRs up. Corporations are greedy, the give you 2% cash back, you can bet they'll get 4% back in profits via increased APRs accross the board.

I see only two Barclay cards that interest me - Sallie Mae and Ring. When I get my Fico up over 750, I'll go for one or the other =)

But as far as OPs decission to cancel, we aren't dogging OP about it.  We are just curious if he did it out of haste or was it was just a decission he was gonna cancel anyways but would consider staying in Barclay gave him a little something.  Hope no offense was taken OP.

Message 27 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

What remorse could anyone, for whatever reason, have for closing an underwhelming rewards card with a $1,500 CL with 22% APR?  

Message 28 of 60
keithB
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

What remorse could anyone, for whatever reason, have for closing an underwhelming rewards card with a $1,500 CL with 22% APR?  

LOL, everyone has gotta start somewhere.  In the last year, I have gone from $250 credit with Capital One Secured to over $30k accross 7 lines of credit. 

Obviously with one year of credit under my belt, I'm not getting $30k credit lines at 6.9% APR like some people.  I think it's safe to assume that you would not think much of what's in my wallet as well.

Message 29 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

keithB wrote: I think it's safe to assume that you would not think much of what's in my wallet as well.

My only "thoughts" on cards are only which are the best for an individual's needs and requirements.  I compartmentalize all cards into one of five categories:  (1) cash rewards; (2) travel rewards; (3) lump-sum bonuses; (4) low interest and balance transfer; and, (5) rebuilding cards.

In my view, people would be much better off staying with the "best in class" cards in each category, and ignore the rest.

Message 30 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.