Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Rewards Card Blacklist

tag
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Barclay Rewards Card Blacklist

Just in case anyone wanted to know...Barclay definitely blacklists. I applied for a rewards MC and received a letter saying that they didn't bother to check my credit because I burned them before. So...they definitely blacklist.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay Rewards Card Blacklist

They do the same if you're an existing member and you want another one of their products but they're not going to give it to you - if they're not going to approve you, they sometimes are like, "Sorry, nooo..." and then they chuckle and don't even pull your CR...

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The more I read about Barclays, the less I want one of their cards. I don't believe I'll ever apply with them. They seem to be "different" than most lender's we speak about on here.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oddly they've been the most generous to me of any CC to date. But they are finicky.

Message 4 of 19
Pway
Valued Contributor

Finicky yes they are, It was a instant denial when I applied for their apple rewards card even though I have their Rewards MC, and no HP was done.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 5 of 19
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Barclays has always been fine for me. I had Rewards for a year and I've had Sallie for about 6 months. No complaints. Boyfriend also has Sallie with no complaints. 

Blacklisting is not that unusual; Amex, Chase, Citi, etc. are also known to blacklist if you burn them. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Barclaycard Apple Rewards is my oldest open account now.  It started as a $600 Barclaycard Financing card.  I didn't realize how terrible of a card it was back when I first opened it.  I never received a single CLI on it in over five years, even after asking for it.  That was over five years of maxing it out and paying it off multiple times a month.  There were a few years where all I had was that and a debit card.  Finally 2.5 months ago I applied for the Arrival+ and was approved for $5,000.  I decided to call and ask for a CLI on the Apple Rewards, and they approved a $6,500 CLI increase.  I immediately had them move $5k to the Arrival+.  If the Apple Rewards wasn't almost 3.5x older than any of my currently open accounts, I would cancel it in a heartbeat.  I don't understand their decisions on any of that.

Message 7 of 19
skorpyo3
Frequent Contributor

I included Barclays B&N MC in bankruptcy. I got Rewards MC 2 years after discharge. Sounds like a case by case scenario with Barclays.

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

Just in case anyone wanted to know...Barclay definitely blacklists. I applied for a rewards MC and received a letter saying that they didn't bother to check my credit because I burned them before. So...they definitely blacklist.

|EQ 698|TU 674|EX 665| BK discharged 11/2012

[Amex PRG No PSL] [Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $50,000] [Barclaycard CashForward WMC $25,000] [Patelco CU MC $20,000] [BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $15,000] [Amex BCE $13,000] [Discover It Cashback $13,500] [US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $10,000][US Bank Platinum Visa $8,400] [Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa Sig $10,000] [USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex $15,000] [Citi AAdvantage WMC $5,000] [Macy's Amex $7,500] [JCP $6,500] [Amazon Prime $6,000] [Target $2,000]
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do blacklist but they are also one of the best with recon. Depending on your situation and why/when you were blacklisted I would definitely give it a shot. The same thing happened to me and upon recon I was approved for sallie Mae in less than 5 mins convo. Granted my charge off with them was over 10 years ago and my scores are now close to 800 with no derogatory info but it could be worth a shot.
Message 9 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I settled a charge off with Barclay and little over a year later I was able to apply and get approved for the same card that I had charged off!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.