longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Barclay Rewards Card

@AeroKrix wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a way to find out what places count for groceries/gas/utilities 2x points?  For instance, someone said CVS does...but I never would have considered that and would have normally used my Quicksilver in that situation.

Use the Visa/MC merchant code lookup. It'll tell you what codes merchants uses for transactions. I know target/walmsts use grocery codes (if the store has grocery)

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp

Oh wow, this is awesome, I didn't know about that...thanks so much!

While that is a useful link, it doesn't solve your CVS question (which is coded as a drugstore- 5912).   The Rewards card seems to be giving 2% in some extra categories.  By something small and see how Barclays gives you rewards (which appear very quickly)

I think if its coded as a drugstore, its not a grocery store, so no bonus % at CVS

The point is that several people have reported getting 2x points at CVS and some other stores that are not in the "correct" category.  I don't know if it a mistake, or a bonus, but enough people have reported it for it to be real.  (I no longer have the card so can't test)

Message 51 of 59
d12
New Contributor

@AeroKrix wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a way to find out what places count for groceries/gas/utilities 2x points?  For instance, someone said CVS does...but I never would have considered that and would have normally used my Quicksilver in that situation.

Use the Visa/MC merchant code lookup. It'll tell you what codes merchants uses for transactions. I know target/walmsts use grocery codes (if the store has grocery)

While that is a useful link, it doesn't solve your CVS question (which is coded as a drugstore- 5912).   The Rewards card seems to be giving 2% in some extra categories.  By something small and see how Barclays gives you rewards (which appear very quickly)

I think if its coded as a drugstore, its not a grocery store, so no bonus % at CVS

I always get 2 points at Rite Aid, and it is coded as a drugstore.

Cap One Quicksilver ($10,000); Barclays Rewards WMC ($7200); Lowes ($4050); Wal-mart ($3250); HSN ($1800); Amazon ($2300); Sportsmans Guide Visa ($1400); Target ($700); Victoria's Secret ($900)

EX: 806, EQ: 780, WM TU: 806
Message 52 of 59
score_building
Senior Contributor

Is there any way to avoid squandering the 2% cashback for a utility company which imposes a 5.00 service with cc payments...as it is now, I just push from a deposit account.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 53 of 59
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

What works for some is making a large payment (basically prepaying).   Then you get hit by just one $5 charge, and get the 2% on a bigger number.   But needs to be over $250 just to break even, some utilities don't allow you to pay more than the balance, and others will refund overpayment to the cc, ruining the point.

Edited:   Or, if you have a drug store where Reward gives 2%, buy a $500 Visa gift card (ideally One Vanilla for $4.95) and pay the utility (free) through Evolve.  You get $10 for the gitt card purchase, and pay $4.95.   You can use the balance on the card the following month

Message 54 of 59
bk510
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

The point is that several people have reported getting 2x points at CVS and some other stores that are not in the "correct" category.  I don't know if it a mistake, or a bonus, but enough people have reported it for it to be real.  (I no longer have the card so can't test)

I get 2% at........

7-11

cvs

rite aid

major supremarkets...

wallgreen

utilities, cable and t-mobile.....just to name a few.

I'm in so cal.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 55 of 59
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Am I reading correctly that if I use Barclays' Reward card to pay my ATT cell phone I will get hit with a 5$ fee?

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 56 of 59
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@nursepower wrote:

Am I reading correctly that if I use Barclays' Reward card to pay my ATT cell phone I will get hit with a 5$ fee?

Depends on what you are reading!  But not from here.  Some utilities charge a fee for paying with a credit card, this is nothing to do with Barclays.  I assume AT&T doesn't.

Message 57 of 59
score_building
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

What works for some is making a large payment (basically prepaying).   Then you get hit by just one $5 charge, and get the 2% on a bigger number.   But needs to be over $250 just to break even, some utilities don't allow you to pay more than the balance, and others will refund overpayment to the cc, ruining the point.

Edited:   Or, if you have a drug store where Reward gives 2%, buy a $500 Visa gift card (ideally One Vanilla for $4.95) and pay the utility (free) through Evolve.  You get $10 for the gitt card purchase, and pay $4.95.   You can use the balance on the card the following month

thanks for the good f/b longtime.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 58 of 59
370Z
Frequent Contributor

@nursepower wrote:

AT&T doesn't have a CC conveniene fee. Charge away.

EQ8 817 (2/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 837 (3/24) EX9 842 (3/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 59 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.