Barclay Ring is getting a chip!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay Ring is getting a chip!

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:
Completely agree.  If only Barclay were to offer the Ring with Chip/PIN... but then again, if they did, their servers would likely crash from all the folks that would be applying for it.  Smiley Happy

The new Ring card is a Chip and Signature with PIN enabled technology... so you can set a PIN and use it as Chip/PIN

Not sure what you mean by "use it as Chip/PIN".  If I purchase something at (say) an EMV-enabled terminal at a supermarket, I assume it would request my signature.   PIN only at unattended terminals?

Well I'm assuming this means that it can be used at terminals that require Chip and PIN (mostly in other countries). Now what that means exactly I'm not sure, but I believe it means you can use it both ways (either with Signature or PIN)? I'm not really sure.

Message 41 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish they would make it metal. Smiley Indifferent

wow... that is ummm.... I think the card designing dept. convo. went like this

"we have to come up with new design for the Ring card"

"what? it looks fine with that yellow stuff on it!"

"well they want a new design..."

"eff it... remember the Rewards card? make it same blue, but put bunch of circles on it... like 'circle = ring', get it?"

"Brilliant!"

The ring cardholders voted on the design. All four of the options they presented were ugly af Smiley Tongue 

that was the best one out of 4? I wonder how ugly were other 3.

Message 42 of 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It's not that ugly. I mean, no, it's not gorgeous or anything but it's not terrible.

Realistically shouldn't be a card anyone uses frequently as IMO it is best as a backup, emergency low APR card, not an everyday spend one Smiley Happy

Message 43 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

It's not that ugly. I mean, no, it's not gorgeous or anything but it's not terrible.

Realistically shouldn't be a card anyone uses frequently as IMO it is best as a backup, emergency low APR card, not an everyday spend one Smiley Happy

I'm just going to use it for my recurring monthly gym bill. Only $10 and change a month. Just to keep it active.

Message 44 of 48
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Unmanned Deutsche Bahn terminals in germany didn't require a pin. Used a chip/sig card. It said "follow instructions on PIN pad" and then i looked at it...and then it said "Approved" and printed out my tickets. Smiley Very Happy 

Same thing when I was in london. 

Message 45 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Unmanned Deutsche Bahn terminals in germany didn't require a pin. Used a chip/sig card. It said "follow instructions on PIN pad" and then i looked at it...and then it said "Approved" and printed out my tickets. Smiley Very Happy 

Same thing when I was in london. 

Right, low amount transactions seem to work often (e.g London Underground).   I think there was news that Visa was pushing for unattented terminals not to require PINS if not supported by the card (or perhaps anyway).

Message 46 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:
Completely agree.  If only Barclay were to offer the Ring with Chip/PIN... but then again, if they did, their servers would likely crash from all the folks that would be applying for it.  Smiley Happy

The new Ring card is a Chip and Signature with PIN enabled technology... so you can set a PIN and use it as Chip/PIN

Not sure what you mean by "use it as Chip/PIN".  If I purchase something at (say) an EMV-enabled terminal at a supermarket, I assume it would request my signature.   PIN only at unattended terminals?

Well I'm assuming this means that it can be used at terminals that require Chip and PIN (mostly in other countries). Now what that means exactly I'm not sure, but I believe it means you can use it both ways (either with Signature or PIN)? I'm not really sure.

These things work in an order (e.g try to use PIN, and if not supported, go to signature etc).   Most US cards (and almost certainly this one) offer signature as the first choice, defaulting to PIN only if the signature option is not available.   This causes confusion in non-tourist places in Europe where 99.9999% of cards are chip&pin, and the clerks don't expect the customer to be asked for a signature.

Message 47 of 48
nyancat
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
By the time chip and pin is broadly used, it will be too late. Hacks against it will be rampant. Technology has to constantly evolve or else hackers will learn it and defeat it. Credit card tp

We're already past this point. The chips have already been exploited as it's old technology. 

Not really, an older version of offline PIN has been subject to a successful CVM downgrade. Also, poorly implemented unpredictable number generation on some old terminals created a POTENTIAL (but almost impossible to exploit in the real world) pre-play attack.

The beauty of EMV is that it's very upgradable. EMV today is not the initial EMV, and it remains forward-compatible as needed. That said, it's well tested and hardened, and I highly doubt it ever will be hacked. The core concept of the cryptogram generation as not been hacked and is unlikely ever to be, frankly. If it was, these elements can be updated.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.