Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay SM and Rewards Cards Recommendations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay SM and Rewards Cards Recommendations

As of today I have 3 Barclay cards: Ring, Rewards and now SM. I really don't use the Ring except occasionally just to have activity on it because it's a 8% APR card, which is very low. So, I want to keep that card open in case I would ever have to carry a balance.

My question is this, my Barclay Rewards card had a $7k CL, when I got SM tonight, I took $2k from Rewards to make SM $4,500. Is there any real benefit of the Rewards card over the SM? And, would it be to my benefit to move more than the $2k over to SM and give the SM the most activity between the two Barclay's cards? I'm sort of on the fence right now.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay SM and Rewards Cards Recommendations

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

As of today I have 3 Barclay cards: Ring, Rewards and now SM. I really don't use the Ring except occasionally just to have activity on it because it's a 8% APR card, which is very low. So, I want to keep that card open in case I would ever have to carry a balance.

My question is this, my Barclay Rewards card had a $7k CL, when I got SM tonight, I took $2k from Rewards to make SM $4,500. Is there any real benefit of the Rewards card over the SM? And, would it be to my benefit to move more than the $2k over to SM and give the SM the most activity between the two Barclay's cards? I'm sort of on the fence right now.

If it were me, I'd close out the Rewards card and transfer the entire limit to the SM.  From what I can see the Rewards card is more of an entry level rewards card that is far surpassed by other cards including the SM

Message 2 of 13
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Unless you really want Rewards for 2x on utilities (or the "surprise/bonus" places like Ulta, drug stores), it's kind of useless. I love my Sallie Mae. Heart

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

If it were me, I'd close out the Rewards card and transfer the entire limit to the SM.  From what I can see the Rewards card is more of an entry level rewards card that is far surpassed by other cards including the SM

I appreciate the reply Irish. In what way is the SM superior to the Rewards card? I will consider it but not sure I want to close the Rewards card quite yet since I just got it in April. 

BTW-I sent you a PM earlier.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

I appreciate the reply Irish. In what way is the SM superior to the Rewards card? I will consider it but not sure I want to close the Rewards card quite yet since I just got it in April. 

BTW-I sent you a PM earlier.

Well maybe I went overboard because I'm not that familiar with  the Rewards card but SM beats it in gas and groceries, 5% vs 2%.  Only advantage to Rewards is the 2% on utilities. SM also has the 5-% on Amazon if you shop there at all. Overall a much better rewards card.

I replied to your PM awhile ago.

Message 5 of 13
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

I cancelled mine when I got my SM. I transferred the limit to the SM and the Wyndham.

I was only holding on for the 2% utilities, but I get better returns using utilities as way to help me meet spend requirements.

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't the Rewards have 5% on utilities and something else sort of utilitarian like that? I'd take it down to $1000 or so (if possible, don't know how amenable Barclay's is that when it's not on an initial donation to a CL) and set up any bill that gets the good % on auto pay to that card if possible. (I can pay my water/power/trash/sewer bill with a CC for no fee, I know that's not the case for all. But I can't set auto pay, I have to go to the website monthly.) 

ETA: Also, if your SM is at $4500, is it a WMC? Do they have a $5k lower limit like V Sig? If so, I'd definitely donate enough to push it over $5k. I haven't used the warranty stuff, but I have had times I WOULD have if I'd charged the darn stuff on 'the right' card. So if you'll use SM for gas and groceries only, no biggie. But could be a biggie with Amazon purchases. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

rewards isn't 5% on utilities
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesn't the Rewards have 5% on utilities and something else sort of utilitarian like that? I'd take it down to $1000 or so (if possible, don't know how amenable Barclay's is that when it's not on an initial donation to a CL) and set up any bill that gets the good % on auto pay to that card if possible. (I can pay my water/power/trash/sewer bill with a CC for no fee, I know that's not the case for all. But I can't set auto pay, I have to go to the website monthly.) 

ETA: Also, if your SM is at $4500, is it a WMC? Do they have a $5k lower limit like V Sig? If so, I'd definitely donate enough to push it over $5k. I haven't used the warranty stuff, but I have had times I WOULD have if I'd charged the darn stuff on 'the right' card. So if you'll use SM for gas and groceries only, no biggie. But could be a biggie with Amazon purchases. 

No it's not a WMC. I had the Barclay Ring first and they allowed me to move all but $500 to the Reward card when I got it (they probably would have let me take that but I didn't want to close the Ring). I'll probably move more over to SM once I get the card at your all recommendations.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
rewards isn't 5% on utilities

Ah, it's 2%. I knew it was a category. I just had the % wrong. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.