Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Sallie Mae & Amazon

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay Sallie Mae & Amazon

IMO, instead of worrying about whether the Sallie will "code right" on your Amazon purchase (being as though they don't advertise 5% at Amazon, they're under no obligation to give it to you 100% of the time; the coding this is just an incidental perk with Amazon), just get either the Amazon Store card (same 5%, no worries) or Amazon Visa (3%).

It's silly to get a card that most of the time does what you want (or some of the time, depending on what you buy on Amazon) vs just getting a card you know is explicitly for Amazon rewards.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ammer wrote:

Hi,

can somebody confirm that the Sallie Mae card gives 5% cash back for the first $750 a month at Amazon ?

I can confirm.

Message 12 of 19
ParadoxD
Valued Member

@Ghoshida wrote:

@ParadoxD wrote:
Also of note is that for the Chase Amazon rewards card, ALL of those purchases do count for the 3% on that one. So if you're a big Amazon spender like I am, weigh the pros and cons of each card to see what's right for you.

If you're a big Amazon spender and don't want to deal with points ambiguity, go for their store card with 5% rather than the Chase one, which is no way special any more. 

True, but again there are limitations on this card as well.  The store card doesn't get the 5% on prime memberships, amazon digital, games, and software downloads.  For most people, this is a non-issue, but it really depends on your spending habits.

Obviously you're also giving up the warranties and protections of VISA/MC if you go with the store card, along with the ability to use the card outside of Amazon, if those kinds of things are important to you.  The Chase card also gives 2% on restaurants/gas/drugstores and 1% other purchases (which is nice, but admittedly not all that impressive).

Not arguing for or against any of these cards, just stating the options and their limitations for educational use. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ParadoxD wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@ParadoxD wrote:
Also of note is that for the Chase Amazon rewards card, ALL of those purchases do count for the 3% on that one. So if you're a big Amazon spender like I am, weigh the pros and cons of each card to see what's right for you.

If you're a big Amazon spender and don't want to deal with points ambiguity, go for their store card with 5% rather than the Chase one, which is no way special any more. 

True, but again there are limitations on this card as well.  The store card doesn't get the 5% on prime memberships, amazon digital, games, and software downloads.  For most people, this is a non-issue, but it really depends on your spending habits.

Obviously you're also giving up the warranties and protections of VISA/MC if you go with the store card, along with the ability to use the card outside of Amazon, if those kinds of things are important to you.  The Chase card also gives 2% on restaurants/gas/drugstores and 1% other purchases (which is nice, but admittedly not all that impressive).

Not arguing for or against any of these cards, just stating the options and their limitations for educational use. Smiley Wink

Or!!!!

Sallie Mae. You keep the warranties, protections. Ability to use outside of Amazon, and if you switch your prescriptions and the restaurant of your choice sells their own GC's at the grocery store, You can get 5% instead. Not to mention the 5% on gas... Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 19
ParadoxD
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Sallie Mae. You keep the warranties, protections. Ability to use outside of Amazon, and if you switch your prescriptions and the restaurant of your choice sells their own GC's at the grocery store, You can get 5% instead. Not to mention the 5% on gas... Smiley Happy

Right you are.  In most cases, the SM is a clear winner.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ParadoxD wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right you are.  In most cases, the SM is a clear winner.

Yes, it it... 

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

For Sallie Mae, to be on the safe side, I just reload "Amazon balance" on Amazon my account page and then use the balance to pay for whatever I buy on Amazon... you get 5% back to reload amazon balance and you can use the balance to buy products from third party.. even digital and kindle stuff!!!

PS if you don't want to reload ahead of time... just add everything that you wanna buy to the kart.. then check the total balance and then you can save the kart and reload that exact amount before paying. Takes extra 30 seconds of work if your credit card info is already saved on your account. 

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

"For Sallie Mae, to be on the safe side, I just reload "Amazon balance" on Amazon my account page"

Sorry I have never heard of this.. can you explain further or give us a screenshot? TYVM

Message 18 of 19
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"For Sallie Mae, to be on the safe side, I just reload "Amazon balance" on Amazon my account page"

Sorry I have never heard of this.. can you explain further or give us a screenshot? TYVM

I believe (s)he's referring to reloading Amazon gift card balance online. Find it under:

Your Account › Manage Your Balance › Reload Your Balance

Then use the gift card balance to pay for anything you buy.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.