Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay SallieMae Mastercard Change?

tag
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Barclay SallieMae Mastercard Change?

As if SallieMae couldn't get any better, they are now offering even more rewards!

So I got the following e-mail from Barclays stating the following:

Celebrate the New Year with a Bonus Offer

January 1 - March 31, 2015

From January 1 through March 31, you'll earn bonus Reward Points when you use your Sallie Mae® MasterCard® for eligible grocery store purchases, movie theater purchases and utility payments (including electric, gas, water, television and telephone). Just activate this offer by January 20, 2015, and you'll earn 2 bonus Reward Points for every $1 spent on qualified purchases and utility payments that post to your account, up to 2,500 bonus Reward Points.¹

Best of all, this is in addition to the Reward Points you already earn for using your card for everyday purchases.

You must activate this offer by January 20, 2015, to be eligible to earn bonus Reward Points! The bonus Reward Points will appear on your account within 6 to 8 weeks after the promotion ends.

Guess I'll be moving my utility payments to SM starting in January. And 7% Cash Back from grocery stores? YES PLEASE Smiley Very Happy

Anyone else get this email? I'm wondering if SallieMae is going to be doing a routine quarterly bonus offer in 2015, or if this first quarter is just a one timer. 

However, I couldn't help but notice that the extra bonus (grocery + movies theaters) match the Chase Freedom's 1st Quarter categories. Something tells me this isn't a coincidence. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Barclay SallieMae Mastercard Change?

You will get them regularly (probably).  My wife gets them on her card, I don't.  I think TMWC gets them on one of his cards and not the other.  But based on this HUGE sample, it seems like once you get one, you keep getting them, with different bonus categories each quarter.

But for those that don't get them. it's a max of $25 per quarter, just over $8.33 a month, so no need to be too upset!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikelo22 wrote:

As if SallieMae couldn't get any better, they are now offering even more rewards!

So I got the following e-mail from Barclays stating the following:

Celebrate the New Year with a Bonus Offer

January 1 - March 31, 2015

From January 1 through March 31, you'll earn bonus Reward Points when you use your Sallie Mae® MasterCard® for eligible grocery store purchases, movie theater purchases and utility payments (including electric, gas, water, television and telephone). Just activate this offer by January 20, 2015, and you'll earn 2 bonus Reward Points for every $1 spent on qualified purchases and utility payments that post to your account, up to 2,500 bonus Reward Points.¹

Best of all, this is in addition to the Reward Points you already earn for using your card for everyday purchases.

You must activate this offer by January 20, 2015, to be eligible to earn bonus Reward Points! The bonus Reward Points will appear on your account within 6 to 8 weeks after the promotion ends.

Guess I'll be moving my utility payments to SM starting in January. And 7% Cash Back from grocery stores? YES PLEASE Smiley Very Happy

Anyone else get this email? I'm wondering if SallieMae is going to be doing a routine quarterly bonus offer in 2015, or if this first quarter is just a one timer. 

However, I couldn't help but notice that the extra bonus (grocery + movies theaters) match the Chase Freedom's 1st Quarter categories. Something tells me this isn't a coincidence. 

Any advise for get those rewards???

Message 3 of 12
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

How does one qualify for SM card?  I may put this on my 2015 Radar.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 4 of 12
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I'm curious as to what the spending profile is of someone who continually gets these bonus offers from them??  World card vs. Platinum??  History of balance transfers with this card??  Non 5% category spend (i.e., those that use the card for everything, not just groceries and gas, etc.)??  PIF vs. carrying a balance??

I'm closing in on a year with this card and it gets a lot of use from me, but only in the 5% categories and I always PIF.  I would love to receive one of these bonus offers, but no such luck yet!  What gives Barclays?!Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

How does one qualify for SM card?  I may put this on my 2015 Radar.

I started with Barclay in 9/13 with a $1200 Apple that I used to buy an iPhone. They auto CLI to $2200 at 6 months... then nothing else. I never asked for a CLI because I didn't want a HP. Once you get past the account opening 0% purchase promotion the card has no other rewards and becomes pretty useless. It still helps build credit with Barclay though!

That being said, I achieved my goal after 16 months with the Apple card. I wanted to get in the door with Barclay (which I did with the Apple card) then yesterday I applied and was approved for a $4500 Sallie Mae. I then took the $2200 Apple CL and moved it to Sallie Mae... and closed the Apple.

Mission accomplished.

Based on your sig I'd say you wouldn't have a problem with approval... although Barclay does frown upon a lot of INQs and new accounts.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 6 of 12
mikelo22
Established Contributor

I'm not sure why I got chosen either as I don't do anything special with the card. I only use it for the 5% cats and usually don't even come close to hittng the monthly caps. I always PIF though. I have the WMC version.

Message 7 of 12
Involver
Valued Contributor

I never get these emails. I probably year the card to much to get targeted offers to increase my spend.
Message 8 of 12
Involver
Valued Contributor

Use* too* ugh.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:
I never get these emails. I probably year the card to much to get targeted offers to increase my spend.

Me neither Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.