Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Strikes again... CLD!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay Strikes again... CLD!

Lol South, I just made a note to never apply for Barclay's. 

Message 31 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Speaking only for myself, I don't try to juggle a bunch of cards at once. I have four cards now, that may go down to 2 after a while, then maybe add 2 more. Something like this wouldn't scare me away since I use all my cards, and don't have 30+ accounts to choose from. I'm used to this sort of mentality since Chase and Discover like to be one of the few cards in your Credit profile. Barclays is the same way. This might steer me in their direction since I know they aren't going to let the churners and hoarders put them out of business.
Message 32 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Man, 25k to 1k cld is rough. Now I'm glad that barclay customer rep highly recommended that I use the card to show that the account is being active, that was when i tried to downgrade my aaviator card.
Anyway, I think it's always good idea to keep the account active by paying monthly subscriptions like netflix or Hulu and such.

I do that.  Autopay Netflix, Car Insurance, Internet, HBONow, Cell phone, myFico 3B and CCT to name a few all on different cards. Keeps them active.  Oh!  Dog insurance just was added to another...as an example. Smiley Happy  General Spend is rotated on 3 cards.  Gas, grocery, everything else...bi weekly charges guaranteed.  I don't use a debit card at all. Just carry a BlueBird Amex with a super small amount if I ever need cash.  Suck on that wallet thieves!

My condolences CreditAddict. Sucks bad. Good luck in whatever you and your beloved decide to do.

Message 33 of 66
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

OP, sorry to hear about the CLD that your partner received.  That is quite drastic!  I like Barclays and the 2 cards I have with them, and I don't have any fear about using these cards.  

Message 34 of 66
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol South, I just made a note to never apply for Barclay's. 

I can't stay away from them. They have my favorite card, the Ring... and lots of other cards I find useful, and they're about to add a great JetBlue card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 35 of 66
NRB525
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

Barclays is really not that difficult to figure out....

They don't like BT's, cash advances, lots of new acts and/INQ, or cards holders going long periods of time without using their cards, and for the holders to use them just for bonus points and bonus categories, and using most of their CL. LOL (think of them as an insecure jealous GF who is always checking up on you, or wanting to see your phone)...Smiley Wink

My ex-wife was something like that. Actually a lot like that.

Which is why I don't app Barclays Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 36 of 66
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
Your right bad choice of wording on my part for principle and warning.

What I was trying to say is it seems that if you want to stay under radar you should not use a card that has been sitting for a bit... When I used my card after several months of non use it was cld. Now we used my partners card that sat for several months and it promptly was cld.
I can understand cld when no use, but this seemed to be triggered by use!

This is the awesome Barclays logic.

1) My Barclays card has been SD for 6 months. It says I have a $20k credit limit

2) I won't use my Barclays card because I want to stay under the radar and be able to say my $20k limit is still there.

3) If I charge a $2 coffee to my Barclays card, they will CLD to $1k.

4) Therefore I will use my Capital One card for this coffee purchase

I think there is a horror film out there with a helment with spikes on the inside. It won't injur you if you don't move around at all.

Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 37 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

OP, sorry to hear about the CLD that your partner received.  That is quite drastic!  I like Barclays and the 2 cards I have with them, and I don't have any fear about using these cards.  

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:
+1
Message 38 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Man, 25k to 1k cld is rough. Now I'm glad that barclay customer rep highly recommended that I use the card to show that the account is being active, that was when i tried to downgrade my aaviator card.
Anyway, I think it's always good idea to keep the account active by paying monthly subscriptions like netflix or Hulu and such.

I do that.  Autopay Netflix, Car Insurance, Internet, HBONow, Cell phone, myFico 3B and CCT to name a few all on different cards. Keeps them active.  Oh!  Dog insurance just was added to another...as an example. Smiley Happy  General Spend is rotated on 3 cards.  Gas, grocery, everything else...bi weekly charges guaranteed.  I don't use a debit card at all. Just carry a BlueBird Amex with a super small amount if I ever need cash.  Suck on that wallet thieves!

My condolences CreditAddict. Sucks bad. Good luck in whatever you and your beloved decide to do.

Dog insurance? Like health insurance for your dog? Please give details. Maybe this is something I need to buy and also set as auto pay on a card!

Message 39 of 66
bartoe
New Contributor

It has to do with the Frank Dod Act that was introduced when the economic crisis hit.  It gave Credit Card Companies the opportunity to close or decrease credit lines after so many months/years of no usage.  When I worked at my CU in order for us to be compliant we had to send a letter explaining that if there was no usage to your card we had the right per act number xyz to close the card per our discrestion.  

Message 40 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.