Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Uber 3% CB Travel Confusion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay Uber 3% CB Travel Confusion

Does anyone know if the Barclay Uber card is 3% Cashback on Travel purchases? Or is it only limited to airfare, hotels and travel agencies, and home share exchanges? Does it not include Car Rental? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay Uber 3% CB Travel Confusion

wrote:

Does anyone know if the Barclay Uber card is 3% Cashback on Travel purchases? Or is it only limited to airfare, hotels and travel agencies, and home share exchanges? Does it not include Car Rental? 

Will all be based off MCC codes although I would suspect car rentals are covered, but interested in hearing as well although would use my CSR or Platinum for that due to primary included, but good for others to know this as well.. Good question.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Even before I have the card (I want it) Im taking an educated guess it’s any agency that codes as one of the travel companies. So any hotel, airline, travel agency I’d think. I wouldn’t expect any perifials to be included. Especially because it’s a no fee card.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

Will all be based off MCC codes although I would suspect car rentals are covered, but interested in hearing as well although would use my CSR or Platinum for that due to primary included, but good for others to know this as well.. Good question.

Yeah I was reading through the terms and it doesn't really specify if it's 3% all travel purchases so it makes me believe there are restrictions. I read through Citi Costco Visa and it does include 3% CB on Car Rental. It would be better if the Uber visa was more specific.. if anyone can confirm it will be good to know Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

Even before I have the card (I want it) Im taking an educated guess it’s any agency that codes as one of the travel companies. So any hotel, airline, travel agency I’d think. I wouldn’t expect any perifials to be included. Especially because it’s a no fee card.

There's a lot of room for confusion. The way the worded it makes it seem like there are restrictions. Because visa can code many things as travel (car rental) but that wouldn't fit in their description for the 3% category (airfare, hotels, travel agencies). 

Message 5 of 8
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

The wording on the terms for the Uber card are pretty specific.  The 3% return is for airfare and hotels.  It is not a generic travel category.  Other expenses like car rentals are not included.

Lots of other cards are more specific than just the MCC for categorizing purchases.  Some offer rewards on just airfare or even just one vendor.  Never assume that something is included in a bonus category unless the terms actually say so.

Message 6 of 8
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

You might test it for a day and see whether it would be 3% or less. Booking a rental car for a day, depending on location, I guess should be much cheaper at the middle of the week.

If it would cover car insurance, it would be also great. Otherwise, I think PRG should be a good card for rental cars.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 7 of 8
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

I agree with the others that stated that car rentals are not included in the 3% category.  If you think about it, it makes sense.  Why would Barclays and Uber give you an incentive to rent cars when they would prefer that you use Uber instead? Smiley Wink

On a side note, I've had this card since November of last year, and it's proven to be a great card so far.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.