Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay VISA Black Card Product Change

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay VISA Black Card Product Change

@Anonymous wrote:

Im thinking of applying for the visa black card mainly to gain a larger credit limit to build my profile. Barclays just gave me Barclay rewards for average credit ..do you think I would be approved with a fico of 644? I really dont want to waste an inquiry for nothing. Thank you!

I'm the guy who's been touting the BLACK CARD as a good builder card. I got instant approval with a 669 CK FAKO and received a $5k limit. My highest limit when I applied was $500 on my Barclays Rewards for average credit and $700 each on Walmart/Amazon cards. I got the $495 fee waived first year and will be cancelling in month 11 if I can't get it waived next year as well.

I had 6 TU INQs when I applied, 4 new accounts (within 2 months) and a total credit history of about 4 and a half months with a 6 yr old collection reporting. I DID have low 7% utilization on my cards when applying, maybe they like to see that?

I'm curious to see how others do with the BLACK CARD and rebuilding, it's been a blessing to me. People think I'm some kind of big baller when I use it too, the thing is so dang heavy and hits the table with a clank.

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anybody here actually had good use for the black card? I mean.. that annual fee is huuuge!

Message 12 of 44
vpae
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Im thinking of applying for the visa black card mainly to gain a larger credit limit to build my profile. Barclays just gave me Barclay rewards for average credit ..do you think I would be approved with a fico of 644? I really dont want to waste an inquiry for nothing. Thank you!

I'm the guy who's been touting the BLACK CARD as a good builder card. I got instant approval with a 669 CK FAKO and received a $5k limit. My highest limit when I applied was $500 on my Barclays Rewards for average credit and $700 each on Walmart/Amazon cards. I got the $495 fee waived first year and will be cancelling in month 11 if I can't get it waived next year as well.

I had 6 TU INQs when I applied, 4 new accounts (within 2 months) and a total credit history of about 4 and a half months with a 6 yr old collection reporting. I DID have low 7% utilization on my cards when applying, maybe they like to see that?

I'm curious to see how others do with the BLACK CARD and rebuilding, it's been a blessing to me. People think I'm some kind of big baller when I use it too, the thing is so dang heavy and hits the table with a clank.

Was it a targeted offer? How did you get them to waive the AF? 

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 13 of 44
taxi818
Super Contributor

Why are you giving up that luxurious Centurion Knock off. cough cough. Smiley Very Happyi think 495 is kinda costly as well. but. if you are declined for another card. they will transfer it over to the new card that you apply for. provided your balance is paid in full.

Message 14 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vpae wrote:

------------

I used the line, "I want to try this card out against my other cards" and after I'd been passed around to three reps for 15 minutes I was irritated with the service and voiced my concern. Nice lady waived the AF and bumped my bonus to 30,000 points after $1500 spend (haven't hit it yet, 30k points is worth $600 in airfare). Full $495 AF was deleted from my account by that evening.

No targeted offer, just app'd through blackcard.com

Message 15 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@vpae wrote:

------------

I used the line, "I want to try this card out against my other cards" and after I'd been passed around to three reps for 15 minutes I was irritated with the service and voiced my concern. Nice lady waived the AF and bumped my bonus to 30,000 points after $1500 spend (haven't hit it yet, 30k points is worth $600 in airfare). Full $495 AF was deleted from my account by that evening.

No targeted offer, just app'd through blackcard.com

Can't believe they waived it! Love it.

Message 16 of 44
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Yepper, they waived mine as well, for the life of the account.  Got it in writing and got the card earlier today and posted details on another thread.  I actually didn't believe it when I spoke with them, but they confirmed it back when I applied and they confirmed it just about an hour ago when I called in.  Of course, I have to actually see all the time that it is never sneaked in somewhere, but you can bet that I will be looking and I will notice a $500 charge obviously.  heard rumors, unconfirmed, that they are doing that these days to better compete with higher end cards out there, but could just be talk.  No clue really, can only speak for myself.

Message 17 of 44
taxi818
Super Contributor

@merlinflex wrote:

Yepper, they waived mine as well, for the life of the account.  Got it in writing and got the card earlier today and posted details on another thread.  I actually didn't believe it when I spoke with them, but they confirmed it back when I applied and they confirmed it just about an hour ago when I called in.  Of course, I have to actually see all the time that it is never sneaked in somewhere, but you can bet that I will be looking and I will notice a $500 charge obviously.  heard rumors, unconfirmed, that they are doing that these days to better compete with higher end cards out there, but could just be talk.  No clue really, can only speak for myself.

Was there a reason they waived it? Like bad service etc.....

Message 18 of 44
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

No clue, but got the card and no annual charge for me, the $495.  I put my wife on there and they said she would get a fee of $195, waived the first year, every year.  They confirmed that I will not have an annual fee for as long as I have the card, regardless of what I charge on it.  Four seperate times they have told me that and was in the initial offer, so I have caputured all of that for my own records.

Message 19 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice!
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.