Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay - a lot of use = no CLI, little use = CLI

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Barclay - a lot of use = no CLI, little use = CLI

My Barclay Rewards card is my main card. I use it for at least 75% of my purchases. $1K some months, other months it can be between $3K and $8K. I PIF so I usually don't carry a balance. Some months I'll let a balance post then pay it off before the due date.  I use my Apple Rewards card once in awhile. Maybe a few hundred dollars here and there unless I'm buying an Apple product. I called Barclay to see if my Rewards card was eligible for an APR reduction and SP CLI. Neither was available.  Then I asked if my Apple card had any offers available. I was told that I could get a SP CLI. Answered a few basic questions and received an extra $2500. That got it up to $9900.00.  The Rewards card is still holding at $10,500.00.

My Rewards card gets a lot of use but it hasn't received a CLI in over 2 years. I hardly use the Apple card but it has received four CLIs in that period. I asked the person that I was speaking to but she didn't have an answer. I ended up moving some of the Apple credit line over to the Rewards card. That gave me a $16,400 limit while my Apple card is now at $4K. 

Does anyone have any ideas why my Rewards card isn't growing? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay - a lot of use = no CLI, little use = CLI

@masscredit wrote:

My Barclay Rewards card is my main card. I use it for at least 75% of my purchases. $1K some months, other months it can be between $3K and $8K. I PIF so I usually don't carry a balance. Some months I'll let a balance post then pay it off before the due date.  I use my Apple Rewards card once in awhile. Maybe a few hundred dollars here and there unless I'm buying an Apple product. I called Barclay to see if my Rewards card was eligible for an APR reduction and SP CLI. Neither was available.  Then I asked if my Apple card had any offers available. I was told that I could get a SP CLI. Answered a few basic questions and received an extra $2500. That got it up to $9900.00.  The Rewards card is still holding at $10,500.00.

My Rewards card gets a lot of use but it hasn't received a CLI in over 2 years. I hardly use the Apple card but it has received four CLIs in that period. I asked the person that I was speaking to but she didn't have an answer. I ended up moving some of the Apple credit line over to the Rewards card. That gave me a $16,400 limit while my Apple card is now at $4K. 

CLI isn't solely on use, and non use.. That's the short and simple answer. The longer answer is outside my pay grade..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 15
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Maybe some cards have different requirements for a CLI?  I was going to suggest that maybe the Rewards card is at the max limit they want to see me at but I can easily transfer the credit line from my Apple card to that one like I did. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 15
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

For the record my Rewards card started at $1,300, and stayed there for two years. I took a HP to get an extra 700 bucks. When Sallie Mae said by by, I transferred my $7,500 from there. I'm sure other got big CLI with the Rewards card but who knows why someone gets one or doesn't get one..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 15
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

I think it may have to do with the Rewards card product, but that's just a guess on my part.  From what I remember, the Rewards card was mainly a builder/re-builder card.  If so, that might factor into some type of cap regarding the SP CLIs or auto CLIs.

I have a Rewards WMC that was a downgrade from an Arrival Plus.  At the time of the downgrade, I asked them if there was an offer for an APR reduction and there was. The APR is currently 12.74%, which I believe is quite low for the Rewards card.  My limit is $17,500, but that's because I did something similar to what you did.  My Arrival limit was $12,500, and I moved my full $5,000 limit from my old Sallie Mae/Commence WMC when I closed it a couple of months ago.  I never received any CLIs for any of my Barclays cards (didn't request any HP CLIs), but I didn't need any either, so that was no big deal for me.  Barclays is good about transferring credit lines from account to account though and I think that was smart of you to do that since the Rewards card is your main card.

Out of curiosity though......Do you have a 2% everything card or other cards that can get you more than 1% on the categories that don't get 2% or 2X the points on the Rewards card?  I'm curious because I only use my Rewards card for monthly utilities (that don't cost anything extra to pay with a CC).  I could put those same charges on my Citi Double Cash, but I want to hold onto this Rewards card for a bit longer and I'm not losing anything, so it's not a big deal for me.

Message 5 of 15
masscredit
Valued Contributor

My QuickSilver card gets 1.5%. I use that once in awhile but usually go for the Barclay Rewards. I didn't realize it's a rebuilder card. Decent one if it is.  I was just looking on Barclay's website, I don't see it offered anymore. 

The rep at Barclay told me my Apple card was approved for a $2500. increase but I might be able to get more with a HP.  And the Rewards card didn't have any SP CLI offers but that might receive an increase with a HP.  I'm doing pretty good with most of my credit lines so I wouldn't want to use a HP for a few thousand dollars. I rather do it for a new card that might give me $10K plus. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

IMHO the reason is simple; they're phasing out that card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 15
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Maybe replaced by the Cash Forward card?

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards/barclaycard-cashforward.html

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 15
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

I've read where some folks have speculated about that.  The Rewards and no fee Arrival cards haven't been available to directly apply for, for quite some time now, so I'm not so convinced that Barclays is planning to do anything with them, but who knows?  If they do force a conversion to the CashForward card, I'll close the account, as I will have no use for a 1.5% card that has a $50.00 redemption threshold.  At least with the Rewards card, I can use it for the 2X categories and keep the pace with the rewards that I could earn with my Citi Double Cash.  The only thing I find attractive about the CashForward card is the $200.00 signup bonus.  I thought about applying for it, but it would be useless for me after I earned the bonus.  IMO, this is the advantage that the Quicksilver card has over it.  The Quicksilver card makes a good SD card, where you can use it sparingly, but don't have to worry about meeting a redemption threshold.

Message 9 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I've read where some folks have speculated about that.  The Rewards and no fee Arrival cards haven't been available to directly apply for, for quite some time now, so I'm not so convinced that Barclays is planning to do anything with them, but who knows?  If they do force a conversion to the CashForward card, I'll close the account, as I will have no use for a 1.5% card that has a $50.00 redemption threshold.  At least with the Rewards card, I can use it for the 2X categories and keep the pace with the rewards that I could earn with my Citi Double Cash.  The only thing I find attractive about the CashForward card is the $200.00 signup bonus.  I thought about applying for it, but it would be useless for me after I earned the bonus.  IMO, this is the advantage that the Quicksilver card has over it.  The Quicksilver card makes a good SD card, where you can use it sparingly, but don't have to worry about meeting a redemption threshold.

Same here

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.