Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay and new accounts!

tag
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Barclay and new accounts!

So as some of you know, I opened a Barclay account last week. It reported on the next the day! My Discover and Chase Amazon card were opened before Barclay's but they're not reporting yet. Should I be worried that when they report Barclay would do something to my account?

Should I tell them that they were opened before!

Current Cards:
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay and new accounts!

@altayar wrote:

So as some of you know, I opened a Barclay account last week. It reported on the next the day! My Discover and Chase Amazon card were opened before Barclay's but they're not reporting yet. Should I be worried that when they report Barclay would do something to my account?

Should I tell them that they were opened before!

Waking the tiger is invariably a bad decision, long stick or no Smiley Happy.

Barclay's was going to see them anyway eventually, there's nothing you can do in this situation except call attention to yourself and make it worse... just chill quietly, you're not the first person they've seen with an app spree.  

        
Message 2 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't worry about it. They won't care if it's before or after. Their concern is that you're getting a lot of new credit at the same time. Most people here haven't had any problems. And there's usually a reason for Barclay's AA. Try to keep your util low, because if they see any CCs maxed out (or with high util) while you're obtaining new credit, that's more likely to be a red flag to them.

I opened 2 other CCs the same month as Barclay's and didn't have any problems.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

Am about to find out as well, my first Barclays account was open while in building mode a few years ago and was unaware of their aversion to new accounts 4-5 didn't sink our relationship then, as it turned out. This time around will have to see if 3 will lead to AA, hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

Will likely be fine with just 2 if lay low going forward. Don't go looking for a confessional, the new TLs will be spotted by them upon AR soon enough. Just having a number of other new TLs appear can legit be a red flag for Barclays at times, particularly in the first six months, nonetheless, maintaining low UTI can certainly increase the odds a new card holder will slip by unscathed by AA as PP.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I wouldn't worry about it. I opened 4 new accounts within 6 months of getting Barclays and got a CLI at the 6 month statement Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 19
rtw
Established Contributor

Hoping to fly under Barclays radar as well. Was just approved for two new accounts yesterday after being approved for the USAirways MasterCard back in July.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 6 of 19
Open123
Super Contributor

When there's AA from Barclay, I think it's usually something other than just opening up a few accounts.

Regardless, I wouldn't change or alter what I'd do just for Barclays.  I'd like to keep their card, but if they bother me, I'd just close and cancel them without fanfare.  I think this is the approach you should have with your creditors.

In the end, they need you more than you need them.

Message 7 of 19
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I'm waiting too see what happens as well.

Opened Barclays with 9 more cards last month. Called to up my limit but analyst told me I had too many recent inqs..

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 8 of 19
OilFieldEngineer
Contributor

Will be interesting to see if they AA on my account I opened and bought a MacBook Pro on the 0% deal. Ended up putting 3250 out of 4K line. Overal my utilization accross the board is under 16% with the Barclay card being the highest. I paid 400 the first month and will be paying the same this month. 1 month old account. We will just have to see what happens. Anyone have any experience with this?

Current Scores 738 EQ (FICO 02/15) 745 EX (Lender Pull FICO) 768 TU (FICO 02/15)

4% Utilization on 180k Total Available Creditlines

AMEX Platinum - NPSL, AMEX HH - 2.5k, BofA Travel Rewards - 25K, BofA 123 Cash Rewards - 15K, BofA Amex - 15K, Barclay Black Card - 10K, Chase United Club - 9.6K, Chase Sapphire Preferred - 14k, Discover More - 7.5K, Citi Presitge - 20K, Nationwide Bank - 7.5K, Dillard's - 5K, JCP MasterCard - 12K, Capital One Venture - 3K, Capital One Quicksilver - 10k, Wells Fargo - 6K, Lowe's - 10K,
Message 9 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

@OilFieldEngineer wrote:

Will be interesting to see if they AA on my account I opened and bought a MacBook Pro on the 0% deal. Ended up putting 3250 out of 4K line. Overal my utilization accross the board is under 16% with the Barclay card being the highest. I paid 400 the first month and will be paying the same this month. 1 month old account. We will just have to see what happens. Anyone have any experience with this?

Experience with making an Apple purchase on Barclays Visa promo close to limit and paying it down in big chunks with relatively low overall UTI? Unlikely to be an issue if that was your question. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.