Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay apple or Travelocity Amex for girlfriend

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay apple or Travelocity Amex for girlfriend

I got my girl participate in rebuilding her credit since I joined the forum and got an Amex, her baddies are due to fall off in 6 mos, currently she has an orchard cli 600 (one plus year) and cap 1 platinum $500. She was surprised I got approved for Amex zync and car loan, so now she's into this forum just as much as me! Her scores are EQ 586, tu 605, 649 exp (lender mortgage pulled 3 mos ago) should she app for Barclay (and buy me the new Mac air) or Travelocity Amex? Which one is easier to get? Very low uti
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay apple or Travelocity Amex for girlfriend

I do not think it is likely she will be approved for either.  AMEX definitely likes to see you at minimum 700+ for revolving cards, though I suspect it's higher than that.  Zync is the only one that allows for lower FICO scores.  

As for Barclay, I am not sure what your FICOs need to be, but why would she be getting a card to buy you a Mac and not herself?  Are you unable to get the Barclay for yourself?  Though, I actually think it's not likely she will be approved for much either.  Barclay is very sensitive so based on what the other folks have said on the forums, if she is approved, she should not apply for anything for at least 6 months after the Barclay has been approved.  

Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not think it is likely she will be approved for either.  AMEX definitely likes to see you at minimum 700+ for revolving cards, though I suspect it's higher than that.  Zync is the only one that allows for lower FICO scores.  

As for Barclay, I am not sure what your FICOs need to be, but why would she be getting a card to buy you a Mac and not herself?  Are you unable to get the Barclay for yourself?  Though, I actually think it's not likely she will be approved for much either.  Barclay is very sensitive so based on what the other folks have said on the forums, if she is approved, she should not apply for anything for at least 6 months after the Barclay has been approved.  

The Travelocity Amex is also Barclay Bank.

Amex does not require 700+ but they have their own rules on that and a very smart computer that makes the reports the way they want to see them!

I would say Apple is easier.... Apply online at home, most likely instant denial, call in right away to the backdoor number and ask for recon and ask for the $1500 or so you need for new computer.

However, they are pretty picky about rebuilding credit after last mistake and 2 accounts with those 2 low CL's might be tough but probably worth a try. it's TU pull.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont really want a Barclay card and she's planning to buy it for me for my birthday with or without Barclay, obviously better if she gets approved for Barclay
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

She was denied, Barclay stated she has tu score of 583, she then bought tu score here at myfico and her tu score indicates 605 same as lender pulled three months back. I told her to recon but theyre closed, will do it first thing tomorrow!
Message 5 of 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
She was denied, Barclay stated she has tu score of 583, she then bought tu score here at myfico and her tu score indicates 605 same as lender pulled three months back. I told her to recon but theyre closed, will do it first thing tomorrow!

I think she really needs to wait until those baddies fall off.

To put it bluntly, a score of 583 is horrible. It's not that much better than someone who has recently emerged from bankruptcy. With scores below 600, it will be difficult to get approved by anyone save the worst of lenders (First Premier, Orchard, etc.).

If she gardens for 6 months until those baddies come off, her FICO might jump significantly. At that point she might be looking at mid-600s or above. That's the time to approach Barclays or anyone else, but right now it's simply too soon. Even if she is approved by anyone, with that score it will likely be with an APR and CL that she won't want.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn't hurt to recon, right? Also wonder why her tu is different from myfico and what Barclay pulled?
Message 7 of 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wouldn't hurt to recon, right? Also wonder why her tu is different from myfico and what Barclay pulled?

Given they've already done a HP, she has nothing to lose. However I'd say there's a 95% chance of still being denied even after the recon.

Some lenders use their own internal scoring system. In this case there are different versions of TU, and they could be using one while this site uses another (TU08 for example). Regardless, I don't think the difference between 583 and 605 will be enough to push her over the line. It doesn't hurt to try though.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 9
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Yeah she might as well recon but I wouldn't count on it. A lot of posters with 650-ish scores got Barlcays Apple but haven't heard anyone sub 600. Tell her to just hang tight and wait six months till her baddies fall off. That will give her score a nice boost!

Stay vigilent! We've all been there (at least I have). 18 months ago a bank wouldn't front me a piece of bubble gum!

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.