Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay arrival+ deval

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Barclay arrival+ deval

When does the deval on Arrival + redemptions occur? I saw some posting that said it depends on when you got the card. I obtained mine in Jan of this year and want to make sure I redeem before the davl kicks in.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay arrival+ deval

The changes will kick in Aug 2016 for you and anyone that got the hard after Oct 1 2014...November this year for people before that
Message 2 of 11
compassion101
Established Contributor

What is the deval all about?

Message 3 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The deval is that 1) the bonus for redemptions will be cut to 5% so that this only 2.1% on travel instead of 2.2%; and 2) redemption is now going to have a threshold of $100

It's clear that Barclays wants you dumping all of your spend on this card, but at 2.1% towards travel only, with an $89 fee, it hardly seems worth it at all. Nevertheless, rushing to redeem before the deval isn't a big deal as we are talking losing 0.1% in value if you wait. Unless you have a ton of miles, that's not going to be very significant. Of course if you have them, you may as well redeem them for the current 2.2%, especially if you plan not to reach the $100 threshold in the future.

Message 4 of 11
noobody
Established Contributor

have to spend 5K to see my rewards back is BIG deal to me, I redeemed all my "miles", move credit line to open a ring and closed A+.
In the world of DC, a $89 AF card with 2.1% reward towards travel only fits a very small niche of people.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 5 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@noobody wrote:
have to spend 5K to see my rewards back is BIG deal to me, I redeemed all my "miles", move credit line to open a ring and closed A+.
In the world of DC, a $89 AF card with 2.1% reward towards travel only fits a very small niche of people.

Right, I believe the figure is 90k as far as what you must spend before the Arrival+ beats a Double Cash. And then you have to be willing to redeem it towards travel only. Too many hoops for an extra 0.1% IMO.

Barclay's is simply hoping nobody notices that you can get better deals elsewhere.

Message 6 of 11
noobody
Established Contributor

the problem is if you have 90K to spend, put on CSP/premier/prestige/SPG, you can get 90-270K miles/points, a first class ticket or two to most of the world. much much better than $1800 cash back.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

With my current point total I would lose between $50-100 if i don't redeem before the deval, but I also have until Nov '16 so it won't be an issue...hopefully I can at it out to get down to almost exactly 2500 points for my final redemption and only leave $2.50 when I close the card
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing is @noobody 90k spend on this card used to be exactly $2k in rewards after the 10% bonus...are 90k (arrival was non-category spend only for me) ur or mr points worth $2k, maybe, maybe not but I know cash is a lot easier. I have now figured out ways to get pretty good value for my mr and ur points so I'm not as hesitant in earning those now even on the 1 point/dollar categories and what I will be focusing on in the future but it wasn't a bad card for a while.
Message 9 of 11
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

@noobody wrote:

You got your new design SPG already? That card looks wow .. 

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.