Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay arrival+ retention offers

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Barclay arrival+ retention offers

In Jan my AF will come due on my barclay arrival+. Given the changes to the card I am not inclined to keep it, but I wanted to see if anyone had luck getting AF waived or retention offers for this card. The reason I am asking now is that I have a lot of reward money on that card and if I am going to need to close it I will need to look to redeem before Jan. Otherwise I will redeem next year. If I downgrade to non-AF version can I redeem at same rate? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay arrival+ retention offers

From what I've seen, Barclays is not known for retention offers. I wouldn't call them threatening to close it as I've seen reports of others doing that (in hopes of a retention offer) and the CSRs just close the account right there on the spot. Smiley Very Happy I would either use your points and downgrade (not sure about the redemption rate, sorry, but I would use them first just to be safe) or cancel/PC the card (if possible to PC). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

On one of them, they offered me 5K points?  I closed it anyway, to reset the clock.

Message 3 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

From what I've seen, Barclays is not known for retention offers. I wouldn't call them threatening to close it as I've seen reports of others doing that (in hopes of a retention offer) and the CSRs just close the account right there on the spot. Smiley Very Happy I would either use your points and downgrade (not sure about the redemption rate, sorry, but I would use them first just to be safe) or cancel/PC the card (if possible to PC). 

I know what you are saying. I don't consider it threatening though since its not a bluff or anything, although I phrase what I say very carefully to avoid the situation you describe. I won't pay the arrival+ AF but I will look to PC it to something else since this is my only account with barclays and I want to keep the credit line, even though I am not super impressed with their other cards. I am just hoping to avoid having to redeem my cashback prematurely. I guess I could just buy airline gift cards and use those towards airfare the following year. I have some car rentals coming up which is how I like to use the card as well. 

;
Message 4 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Dont think they typically offer much that would make it worth keeping for the fee.
Message 5 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

On one of them, they offered me 5K points?  I closed it anyway, to reset the clock.

What is the timeline on the bonus clock? What other cards do they have that may be worth PCing to? 

;
Message 6 of 11
pip3man
Valued Contributor

They gave me a retention bonus of 10,500 miles on my Arrival card few weeks ago when I threatened to close the account due to issues with my PC request to the Rewards MC. I'll be redeeming soon and if by the time I do and my card hasn't been converted already, I'll close it out and just move the entire limit to Sallie Mae.

Message 7 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

They gave me a retention bonus of 10,500 miles on my Arrival card few weeks ago when I threatened to close the account due to issues with my PC request to the Rewards MC. I'll be redeeming soon and if by the time I do and my card hasn't been converted already, I'll close it out and just move the entire limit to Sallie Mae.

That is a great retention offer, but I suspect it was due to the other issues you were having with them.=, so I doubt I will get a similiar deal. 

;
Message 8 of 11
noobody
Established Contributor

Back in January when my A+ AF was due, I just call and asked AF to be waived, they agreed without much effort, funny thing is they also credit $89AF on my US airway card i did not even ask.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 9 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

What is the timeline on the bonus clock? What other cards do they have that may be worth PCing to? 

Ah, unless they've changed, Barclay's will always give the bonus, but the approval for a similar card appears to be from 3 - 6 months.  In the past, you can have duplicate cards with both earning a bonus, but not anymore.

I have been and still continue to app for a card every 6 months, where in the past, it was one every 3 months during the US Air days.  I'll app for the Arrival Plus again, once the 6 month has elapsed, which should be in a about a week.  

For the past several years, my apps always go to review, but they always get approved without recon.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.