Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay card activation measures

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay card activation measures

if it's replacement card with a new number, you would need activation, if it's just a replacement card with same numbers, then no need for activation.

so when you received the second replacement card, did they tell you it'll be whole new numbers? or same as the one that post office lost? if you feel iffy about it, then just ell them you lost a card and they'll send you a new one.

Message 11 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

if it's replacement card with a new number, you would need activation, if it's just a replacement card with same numbers, then no need for activation.

so when you received the second replacement card, did they tell you it'll be whole new numbers? or same as the one that post office lost? if you feel iffy about it, then just ell them you lost a card and they'll send you a new one.

Not true, redministapler. New number, new CVV, new card and new exp date.
Called Barclay when it arrived because I was confused that it had no sticker. They said the card came READY to use and no activation needed. I was not happy.

Message 12 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not true, redministapler. New number, new CVV, new card and new exp date.
Called Barclay when it arrived because I was confused that it had no sticker. They said the card came READY to use and no activation needed. I was not happy.

so it was total different numbers from the card that got lost in mail?

Message 13 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

so it was total different numbers from the card that got lost in mail?

Yes- as I said, new card number, new CVV, new expiration date. When I called them they said it was ready to use and no activation needed. I think that is wrong.

And- Barclay knew my prior card had been compromised and the replacment lost in the mail, even worse, and they still didn't require activation upon receipt! This has really opened my eyes to watch out for myself and my information - and I'm pretty vigilant about that already.

Message 14 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sending out pre activated replacement cards is not exclusive to Barclays

That is just crazy - given all of the identity theft that is rampant today. Card companies tell you 7-10 days to receive the card,and in some cases I've received a card in 2-3 business days (sometimes longer). If a person waits the 7-10 days, someone else could have intercepted the card after 3 days and not only charged things (which oculd be fixed later), but committed identity theft (which would not show immediately and would be difficult to fix later.

I doube Barclay will change policies because of my feedback but I'll give them the feedback anyway. I will also ask them to place a password on my account in addition to verifying my info when I call them. Reason being - part of the mail that was missing was an IRS tax document they sent me contianing the last 4 of my social. That's all someone needs (sometimes) for certain card companies. Some ask more info to validate me, others are looser and after I;ve given last 4 of social, they validate me with just that limited info.

I'm also going to ask ll of my card companies to not send out any replacement cards without calling me on my phone to verify I requested it first. I could see someone with the last 4 of my social and the 1st replacement Barclaycard trying to do what damage they could in the 7-10 day period while a person was awaiting their card.

I don't know what is going on in the post office but the fact that they had 5 differerent cpntractors delivering mail in one week, who don't have regular ongoing ties as a regular postal employee, locally in a very small area, and the package out of 10 I received that amazingly went missing had my replacement Barclaycard in it - and another piece of mail with the IRS document.

Not happy but going to start using a password with all of my card companies when I call in (in addition to verifying info with them) - and checking my credit reports very often. Don't think I want to do a freeze just yet as I have heard of a lot of people having problems with that.

Thanks for listening to my frustration. I hope hearing this helps someone review their own security. It's been stressful thinking that my things are out there. (it was "on the truck for delivery" last Friday and MIA since)

I agree that it's strange.  When I got my Ritz card from Chase the first time I kept looking for the activation sticker thinking that it must have fallen off.  I ended up calling them and they told me that it was already activated.  Same thing after I had fraud on the card and they sent me a replacement.  Be interesting to see what Barclays says if anything about your request.

Message 15 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got the Ventrue recently, it didn't seem to require activation either. I linked it in my Capital One account( I don't know if they consider that actual activation), but did not need to verify anything in terms of calling a number. I wasn't super happy about that either because my new Venture is a 15k limit card.

Really making me think and watch out even more for myself because I think some card companies can do a lot more to keep things secure........

Had to jump through hoops to activate Ebates and also had to call the number on the sticker to activate Fuel Rewards and I was super glad, actually!

Message 16 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree that it's strange.  When I got my Ritz card from Chase the first time I kept looking for the activation sticker thinking that it must have fallen off.  I ended up calling them and they told me that it was already activated.  Same thing after I had fraud on the card and they sent me a replacement.  Be interesting to see what Barclays says if anything about your request.

That is terrible, I'm sorry to hear that about Chase Ritz and your card. Given the heightened climate of fraud these days, I can't imagine what these major issuers are thinking. It protects them and proctects their customers if they are more careful. Protected and happy custoemrs equals loyal customers and less money spent fighting fraud after it happens.

Then you have annoying fake fraud protection like Macy's card does. I just canceled it yesterday and was pretty happy. They had probably canceled 12 orders I had placed over the last year( canceled first, not calling me to verify). Get an e-mail a day later that it was canceled, and then spend 45 fun minutes on the phone being switched around to different departments to get the order reinstated. No thanks.  A verificaton call in lieu of canceling would be all that was needed.

Google "Macy's complaints" on the internet and you will see that happens a lot with their online orders. There are actual ways to institute fraud protection -  and then there are fake fraud protection meaures that just annoy customers. Aagh.

Message 17 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone knows of other lenders who send card already activated and don't require activation, it might be helpful information for us all to know. I hope the practice goes away or lessens.

I think Venture is one of them but I have no idea if it was active before I linked it in my account online? It had no sticker on the front.

Message 18 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Is having a stolen activated card a better path to identify theft than an unactivated one?    Don't really see how as the info is the same in both cases, but if someone knows better, let us know!

Obviously it's much easier to place fraudulent charges with an activated card, but that's the bank's problem, not the consumer, so presumably the banks that send out activated cards have decided it is cheaper/better for them.    I expect some portion of people receive a card, don't activate it, and then at some stage try to use it, potentially costing the issuer a transaction (I have also heard stories of people successfully using unactivated cards, but don't know from personal experience)

Message 19 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think anytime someone has stolen your card(s) and information with it, it is certainly better to have extra steps in place to activate cards than to send them already activated.

Why let anyone have easier access to anything of yours?

Plus, the person who stole my mail can also answer questions cc companies typically ask me in order to identify myself when I call them:

What is your full mailing addres (yes they have that)

What is your zip code( they have it now)

What are the last 4 of your social (they have those too)

Last 2 times I called different cc companies to ask a question , 2 of the companies "validated" me by using my full mailing address and zip code. Those are easy to find out. Ther perosn who has the IRS document also has the last 4 of my social.Thanks IRS.

Tougher security questions are needed. I'm putting a password on all of mine as well as an added layer.

Why make anything eawsier for someone with nefarious intentions? And I'm much more worried about the broader identity theft issue than just a single card.

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.