cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay closed account for returned payment, anything I can do?

tag
reno55
Regular Contributor

Barclay closed account for returned payment, anything I can do?

I have had my Barclay card for about 3-4 years now and have never had a late payment. This week my wife moved money from the account we use to pay bills and my barclay payment got returned however they resubmitted it and it went through. 

Now they closed my account They are telling me it was because they pulled my file and that is why they closed it. I have asked for quite a few increases with them and never got them in which they pulled my file then and yet never closed it. 

Is there anything I can do? My card is even under the limit right now but they still closed it and refuse to admit it's because of the returned payment

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay closed account for returned payment, anything I can do?

Sorry to hear 

You can try going to the top but it's Barclay and you know it's a slippery slope for help

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

What is your TU at and what was the utilization like on the card... Somehow I think it might have to do with more than one bounced payment.  Just speculation your utliization might be high or your TU report / score is kinda on edge?

Message 3 of 8
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Your card is "even under the limit" right now? Do you have a habit of going over the limit? I doubt it was just the one returned payment (although that was probably what pushed them over the edge). How does your TU (or EX) look? 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 8
happypill
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I agree with the others, your statement "my card is even under the limit" is the biggest red flag from your description.  What is current utilization, and are you often at or over the limit?  If so, that's the reason you've never received increases in the past, and also a huge factor as to why they closed your account.  The bounced payment might have triggered a review, the very high utilization is a much larger factor.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

What is your TU at and what was the utilization like on the card... Somehow I think it might have to do with more than one bounced payment.  Just speculation your utliization might be high or your TU report / score is kinda on edge?

What CC said...

Message 6 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience OP, Please include your profile and other circumstances so us Barclaycard holders can include any data points or method of repairing the situation.

Recently my CU sold a few branches that included mine. I had to change "pay from" accounts on all 12 of my CC's and hoped it all went smooth. I still haven't paid OS or Wally but Barclay went without a hitch.  I know Synch shuts you down for returned payment, Maybe Barclay is the same.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened to you OP. Hopefully, you can reverse the AA. Best of luck!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.