cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay closed my account, try for another ?

tag
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

Barclay closed my account, try for another ?

I didn't burn Barclay but they closed my account for excessive inquiries during an app spree. Also claimed my balance was too large ($1500)  The balance is down by much now and I want an NFL card.  My card was Apple. I know they do this often but do they allow you or reconsider you for another card?   Just curious and figured this might be a topic relatable to oothers.  

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay closed my account, try for another ?

Its best to just avoid any Barclays products for the next 6-12 months. It's highly unlikely they will approve you for another product immediately after closing your account.

Have you tried calling backdoor to appeal the decision? They may be able to reopen the account for you.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 45
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Ortz33__ wrote:

I didn't burn Barclay but they closed my account for excessive inquiries during an app spree. Also claimed my balance was too large ($1500)  The balance is down by much now and I want an NFL card.  My card was Apple. I know they do this often but do they allow you or reconsider you for another card?   Just curious and figured this might be a topic relatable to oothers.  

This is why I will never app for any Barclays product.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 45
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

I agree with the recon suggestion.  It can't hurt at this point.  If i't not too personal, how long did you have the card, and what was your CL?

Message 4 of 45
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

had it since october 2011. credit limit was 2000.  let it float at 1500 for a while after a large purchase.  paid the minimum, yes, for a few months in a row.  did get a cli on it. initial limit was 1000. i guess i can give it a shot. it was closed over 30 days ago however.  i would rather have my card back vs. another inquiry and new account.

Message 5 of 45
baller4life
Super Contributor

Barclay scares me. I've read so many horror stories. Think I will scratch them off my wish list. Too finicky for my taste.
Message 6 of 45
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Is the closed account paid to 0 now or still with a balance?

Message 7 of 45
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Barclay just isn't a good fit for people who like to app a lot or aren't done opening new accounts.

I might try recon or but wouldn't waste an inquiry.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 45
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@baller4life wrote:
Barclay scares me. I've read so many horror stories. Think I will scratch them off my wish list. Too finicky for my taste.

I'm inclined to agree with you

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 45
blk8
Regular Contributor

I'm one of the few that actually likes Barclays.

There are too many other factors on why they may have closed your account.... carrying 75% of the credit limit for several months and paying the min payment would probably scare a few lenders off .... combine that with several inquires and you hit the daily double. It's a sign of struggle to most lenders.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.