cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay closed my account, try for another ?

tag
kroberts67
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay closed my account, try for another ?

@Ortz33__ wrote:

I didn't burn Barclay but they closed my account for excessive inquiries during an app spree. Also claimed my balance was too large ($1500)  The balance is down by much now and I want an NFL card.  My card was Apple. I know they do this often but do they allow you or reconsider you for another card?   Just curious and figured this might be a topic relatable to oothers.  

What do they consider excessive?

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 21 of 45
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Ortz33__ wrote:

I didn't burn Barclay but they closed my account for excessive inquiries during an app spree. Also claimed my balance was too large ($1500)  The balance is down by much now and I want an NFL card.  My card was Apple. I know they do this often but do they allow you or reconsider you for another card?   Just curious and figured this might be a topic relatable to oothers.  

Been there with Barclays. They'll CLD you, or just plain close the account. Did this prior to the financial meltdown of 2009.

If they like you, their cards are ok. But if they don't like you, they'll shut the accounts down in a heartbeat. I'd move on elsewhere.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 22 of 45
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

I have no complaints about Barclay's.  They make tracking rewards points very easy with their itemized feature, and now they offer free TU FICO.  Signup bonus was credited without delay.  I have not apped for any card since I've had the card, but that's not out of fear of closure, just part of my overall credit plan.

+1

I got the arrival (AF) after I had acquired 6 other cards within 5 months. I had to call the back door number to verify my identity and was instantly approved with 5K on the phone. I tried to increase the limit but it did not work out. The reason they gave me was short history with them. They wanted to see at lease 6 months of payment history with them first before they increase my limit. Yet, they only used one HP for my approval and CLI request. So far, I love my arrival (AF) with no regrets.

Message 23 of 45
dap1984va
New Contributor

Moral of the story, When you mass apply within a 6-12 month period  it is possible Barclays will decrease/eliminate the account....Technically, they should.....you show a moderate to high risk.  I dont blame them, ever heard of the word, BANKRUPTCY??? No bank/institution wants to suffer a loss. And a high balance does not look good, for any credit card, Barclays is not ever known for balance transfers....or high starting credit limits. And I would personally never suggest a BT on a 2k or 3k card. thats just me. 

P.S. I have a Barclays Arrival and I like it. Woman LOL

Message 24 of 45
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@blk8 wrote:

I'm one of the few that actually likes Barclays.

There are too many other factors on why they may have closed your account.... carrying 75% of the credit limit for several months and paying the min payment would probably scare a few lenders off .... combine that with several inquires and you hit the daily double. It's a sign of struggle to most lenders.

+1

I would be a 2nd one that likes them as well.  In fact, I just closed two accounts with them last month and reallocated the CLs to my other 2 Barclay cards.  In the Fall I plan on either the Arrival or Sallie Mae.  Never had any problems with them.

Message 25 of 45
blk8
Regular Contributor

Facts of the matter:
OP was carrying more than 75% of his/her CL
OP was only able to pay the minimum for several months.
OP was trying to get more credit elsewhere.
Barclays closed his account.

If it was my company, this would be how I would run it as well.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 26 of 45
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

I decided when I got my  rewards MC that I was just not going to worry about it, use it the same as my other cards and app like normal lol. What's the worst that can happen?, but I am NOT going to use the cool check balance transfer stuff I got in the mail today. I only have a 2k limit and if I BT anything on to the card I am sure they will close it. Smiley Indifferent

Message 27 of 45
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

Will Barclays shut you down if you app for a mortgage?  Dumb idiots need to quit closing peoples accounts.   I'm in a bad mood.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 28 of 45
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

I like Barclay as well for now lol. They were the first ones to give me a real credit card. The rewards mastercard is a great card with the points system and 2x times on gas, supermarket, ulities plus free fico and no AF. I did add two other cards sense I got the barclaycard (cap one QS and paypal smart connect), I am very nervous about that but I never leave a balance and always pay in full.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 29 of 45
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@dap1984va wrote:

Moral of the story, When you mass apply within a 6-12 month period  it is possible Barclays will decrease/eliminate the account....Technically, they should.....you show a moderate to high risk.  I dont blame them, ever heard of the word, BANKRUPTCY??? No bank/institution wants to suffer a loss. And a high balance does not look good, for any credit card, Barclays is not ever known for balance transfers....or high starting credit limits. And I would personally never suggest a BT on a 2k or 3k card. thats just me. 

P.S. I have a Barclays Arrival and I like it. Woman LOL

Mass-applications make it look like someone is in trouble. Probably not a popular opinion but: Why would someone with a stable situation need to apply 20-30 times for credit over a short period of time?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.