Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay credit cards

tag
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay credit cards

Sallie Mae (WMC or not) seems to be more difficult to get than Apple or the Rewards card. I haven't seen anyone get the Sallie Mae with current baddies and/or recent bankruptcy.

Message 11 of 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Just curious where does sallie mae 5% card fall under avg credit card or one of the ones more difficult to get. I am an bit worried about my inquiries and recent accounts from last year. 

I had got the Sallie Mae MasterCard with average credit (scores hovering around 670-680, 3-4 inqueries on my TU report, credit history <2 years).

But I did not get World and got Platinum.

hmmm i am at around 6 inq on TU, just opened 3 cc in sept of 2013. I am more worried about that atm. I will give it an go after my chase statement posts and my utilization should be back under 5%, and see what happens :-) 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@ways2go wrote:

I was wondering if Barclay Credit cards are hard to get approved?  It seems like reading messages on here that Barclay are hard to get approved and get cli's.  

Barclays has their higher tier products along with their products that aren't on the difficult side to get.  They look for specific things regarding their credit profiles:  Few inqs,  lots of new accounts, lower utility etc...  If you are going for the average credit cards like the Apple Financing or the Rewards card, then you might have some luck if you aren't high in utility or have a ton of new accounts or inqs.  If you are going for the Arrival or one of their World Cards, then you might have a little difficulty if your profile is thin or you aren't carrying a decently high FICO.  Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Just curious where does sallie mae 5% card fall under avg credit card or one of the ones more difficult to get. I am an bit worried about my inquiries and recent accounts from last year. 

IMHO Sallie Mae and top tier Arrival are harder to get

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 16
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@ways2go wrote:

I was wondering if Barclay Credit cards are hard to get approved?  It seems like reading messages on here that Barclay are hard to get approved and get cli's.  

Barclays has their higher tier products along with their products that aren't on the difficult side to get.  They look for specific things regarding their credit profiles:  Few inqs,  lots of new accounts, lower utility etc...  If you are going for the average credit cards like the Apple Financing or the Rewards card, then you might have some luck if you aren't high in utility or have a ton of new accounts or inqs.  If you are going for the Arrival or one of their World Cards, then you might have a little difficulty if your profile is thin or you aren't carrying a decently high FICO.  Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

You know, I've seen approvals for this card with $500 limits so I'm thinking that they must have a average credit criteria on this card.  I believe the Ring also falls in this category also. Reading most of the threads though, it looks to me like the Arrival has the hardest of the BarclayCards with regards to UW.  Mind you this is only observation but that's what it looks like to me.  They do have a pre-aproval site to give you a better insight into what you might qualify for:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/ProactivePrescreenLanding.action

Might want to give this a try.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 14 of 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@ways2go wrote:

You know, I've seen approvals for this card with $500 limits so I'm thinking that they must have a average credit criteria on this card.  I believe the Ring also falls in this category also. Reading most of the threads though, it looks to me like the Arrival has the hardest of the BarclayCards with regards to UW.  Mind you this is only observation but that's what it looks like to me.  They do have a pre-aproval site to give you a better insight into what you might qualify for:

Thanks for that link , wish sallie mae had an pre approval site. I would want to be pretty sure of my chances before applying. I was only pre approved for the no af arrival card which makes me think i may need to do some more gardening. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 15 of 16
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Thanks for that link , wish sallie mae had an pre approval site. I would want to be pretty sure of my chances before applying. I was only pre approved for the no af arrival card which makes me think i may need to do some more gardening. 

I just went back for a quick search and found the lowest limit assigned to be 1K so I was mistaken but I do believe I've read a thread or 2 that had $500 limits.  I think if you were pre-approved for the no AF Arrival, then you will likely qualify for the Sallie Mae card also.  I'm pretty certain of that.  If your profile hasn't changed since they did the SP to determine pre-approval status then you have a very good chance at approval.  But I always think it's best to make your profile look as good as possible before apping anything to get the best terms.  So if that means waiting a couple of months or more... it's worth it.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.