Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay denial

tag
cardionrs
Established Member

Barclay denial

I'm recently applied for Barclay CC. I recon twice, but was told i was Denied due to lack of credit card history and that Barclay likes to see some established CC history. I have student loans and car payments that are never late. Last week I got approved for a secure card with BoA for 2k and two store cards thanks to the shopping cart trick. Any advise for this newbie. Thanks Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay denial

@cardionrs wrote:
I'm recently applied for Barclay CC. I recon twice, but was told i was Denied due to lack of credit card history and that Barclay likes to see some established CC history. I have student loans and car payments that are never late. Last week I got approved for a secure card with BoA for 2k and two store cards thanks to the shopping cart trick. Any advise for this newbie. Thanks Smiley Happy

Gardem those cards for about 6-12 months, put use to them, get your utilization low around the 6 month mark and go for discover it card.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 2 of 9
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

The Boa Secured card is a very good card too start with I would let it grow and would eventually turn into a unsecured with usage. I read people here getting it turned into a unsecured in 6months. But also waiting for the 12th month period would be great also. You can also apply or another secured card too your nearest Credit Union.
Samsung mobile
Message 3 of 9
cardionrs
Established Member

Thanks for the reply....that sounds like an Excellent plan. I'm sure that I will get the same reply from any of the unsecured cards, so theres no need to risk the hard pulls right now. I have learned so much from these forums...you guys are the best. THANKS!!
Message 4 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

I see you joined the garden good move to age the TL's you haveSmiley Wink

No need to continue recon with Barclay that will possibly end with the same results and another HP....YMMV

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! BoA is a good cc to start with and as you stated -no need for additional HPs now.

Message 6 of 9
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Barclay's denied me for the same reason a year ago and I'm such a hard head that I will never
apply for one of their cards again.....lol

Boa is a great card to have! I started with a partial secured with them (cl 500) exactly a year ago and at 10 months it was unsecured and turned into a visa signature with a 5k limit. Treat them well and you will be rewarded! Smiley Happy
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 7 of 9
missjae
Established Contributor

@cardionrs wrote:

For the most part, whenever you get a denial, take the reasons for denial and improve them.  Once you have, you can get what you're seeking.  In your case, garden your new TL's and you should be able to obtain the card you seek.  Gardening heals most wounds.

Message 8 of 9
Eightiron
Contributor

@cardionrs wrote:

Keep trying.  You just have the catch the right analyst.  I had to recon both Barclay card and Discover with no CC on my CR.  I got Barclay on first attempt,  but Discover took several phone calls.  Once you catch one that seems willing to help.  Point out that you know you dont have any CC's,  but there is proof through student loans and car payments that you know how to keep up and pay monthly, and absolutely no proof, that you have ever failed to pay your bills.  That is almost exactly the wording I used with a sup. with Discover,  she then placed me on hold saying she had to talk to her boss,  2 minutes later came back with an approval.

I am not saying this will 100% work.  But often times CC companies want to see your payment history on other CC's and I understand.  But point out that you are currently and have previously made monthly payments and never been late, it may just help.  Let me know how it goes.  Also, be sure to let them know that you want a BARCLAY CC, not just a CC in general.

Gardening now for that spring harvest Entered 9/4/13 leaving 4/14
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.