Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay doesn't take kindly to using the BT checks

tag
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclay doesn't take kindly to using the BT checks

I've used several bt offers (checks) over a two year span and have received quite a few auto cli's. This is odd indeed. Maybe that rep was having a bad day. You paid it back so quick as well. I've always stretched mine out to a year...

Message 11 of 19
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Barclay's, and this coming from a guy who is still relatively new to this credit buzz, is the only lender i have run across that operates IMO straight from the moon, or Britain to be exact. I don't know why it is with them that they are so timid about Americans.
I read up on them often since my only denial came out of their camp, i follow Bloomberg and other high powered finance news groups and still don't understand their apprehensions & shaky risk assessments whether it be first applying or customers eligible for CLI's, not to mention CLD's etc.
I will not and do not want them and consider my own turndown for Sallie as a blessing.
Message 12 of 19
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

After thinking on it and seeing you all opinion I think I'm going to call back.  I used a product they suggested I used and now it's being held against me for using it.  My scores are high, my util is only about 2% now and has never ever gone over 30%. I have no inqs on TU and I've had the card 9 months, no auto love at all.  If they don't want to give a CLI that is fine but the reason is just blame idiotic.

I won't take another HP but hopefully I can put in a complaint about the guy and his douchbagery.

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 13 of 19
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

After thinking on it and seeing you all opinion I think I'm going to call back.  I used a product they suggested I used and now it's being held against me for using it.  My scores are high, my util is only about 2% now and has never ever gone over 30%. I have no inqs on TU and I've had the card 9 months, no auto love at all.  If they don't want to give a CLI that is fine but the reason is just blame idiotic.

I won't take another HP but hopefully I can put in a complaint about the guy and his douchbagery.

Keep us posted, I am very interested what kind of response you get.  To hold it against you for using a BT check is crazy in your situation (didn't max it out, paid it off quickly).  Did a CSR tell you this or an analyst?

Message 14 of 19
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

Keep us posted, I am very interested what kind of response you get.  To hold it against you for using a BT check is crazy in your situation (didn't max it out, paid it off quickly).  Did a CSR tell you this or an analyst?

It was an analyst that told me this, I just got a notification that he pulled my CR as well but I didn't ok that, I only asked when I would qualify for a CLI not if I could get one then, so I'm guessing it was a new credit report that he pulled.  Is there anything I can do about this?  I will keep you all posted, I'm going to try and get ahold of an EO office is possible.

Message 15 of 19
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I would call the EO. I have used the checks before, and I think that using them and paying them off (basically showing activity on the account) is the ticket to getting CLI's with Barclays. I have never had them mention using those checks for a reason for a decline. They send me some just about every 2 weeks, so I would think it wouldn't make sense for them to penalize you for using them. You can never depend completely on the word of the CSR, sometimes they don't have a clue about what they are talking about.

Sometimes they even send the checks where if you use them for an amount up to 3k, they give you a CLI in that amount. I suspect you got a bad CSR.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 16 of 19
firesword
Established Member

@HeilFico wrote:

I've used several bt offers (checks) over a two year span and have received quite a few auto cli's. This is odd indeed. Maybe that rep was having a bad day. You paid it back so quick as well. I've always stretched mine out to a year...

This has been my experience as well with Barclays.

Message 17 of 19
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Escalate it. The service failure is bad enough but HP when you asked when you can get CLI is just wrong.
Message 18 of 19
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay doesn't take kindly to using the BT checks (UPDATE)

I got ahold of someone in a EO, they got back to me and let me know that the analyst was in the wrong for pulling my CR when I did not ask for or approve it and have removed the inquiry but still not final answer on a CLI which is fine, for now Smiley Wink I'm just happy to have the inq gone!!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.