Did you mean: 

Barclay fading out

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay fading out

@longtimelurker wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

You know one thing you hear with other lenders like citi, chase, BofA and especially Amex that you never hear with Barclays? I don't care what my SL is I'm just glad to have a foot in the door with so and so, you never hear anyone thankful to have a foot in the door with Barclays. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclays-easier-to-get-more-after-the-first-one/m-p/213...

ETA: and the whole foot in the door stuff doesn't really mean much as far as I can tell

I don't think foot in the door means anything either. I think your credit is evaluated at the time of each application, and if your profile supports what you're going for, you will get it. Having a lower tier product with the lender doesn't definitely help any more than just having built a history in general.

Message 31 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:
How is Barclay a bad company because you were "young and dumb" and charged more than you could PIF so now you pay interest?

Should've lowered my interest rate when I asked. Especially since my credit went up 100 points from the time I applied from the card, from the time I asked. 

Message 32 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have noticed this with Barclays as well, and while I think sometimes "doom and gloom" posts on this forum are rather overblown, I think there might be some merit to this one. It's not a good sign when a card company is overtly shying away from its most prominent offerings (Arrival+) without replacing it with anything else.

I actually quite like Barclays, so their rapidly dwindling card offerings is definitely a little worrisome to me. I have two of some of their best cards in the Sallie Mae and the Wyndham with the 15K renewal bonus and I would be upset if I lost them. 

Message 33 of 93
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have noticed this with Barclays as well, and while I think sometimes "doom and gloom" posts on this forum are rather overblown, I think there might be some merit to this one. It's not a good sign when a card company is overtly shying away from its most prominent offerings (Arrival+) without replacing it with anything else.

I actually quite like Barclays, so their rapidly dwindling card offerings is definitely a little worrisome to me. I have two of some of their best cards in the Sallie Mae and the Wyndham with the 15K renewal bonus and I would be upset if I lost them. 

Looks like it is back

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards/barclaycard-arrival-plus-world-elite-mastercard.html

Message 34 of 93
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like it is back

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards/barclaycard-arrival-plus-world-elite-mastercard.html

Wow, maybe they saw this thread. lol

Message 35 of 93
Callandra
Valued Contributor

As much as I love my Sallie Mae (I'm riding the Sallie Mae gravy train until the end!), it wouldn't surprise me if Barclays just sold off their card offerings. Depending on the terms, I might keep it or if I didn't like them, I'd close it and get a Cash+ as a replacement. I've always had good experiences with Barclays so it's sort of too bad (although, I don't think I've ever had a bad experience with any credit card company...). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 36 of 93
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like it is back

Wow, maybe they saw this thread. lol

That's the power of the myfico forum, never doubt it Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 93
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Most of the co-branded cards came from their acquisition of Juniper, so they could sell them off if that is what they choose to do.   

They just had to pay a $100M fine on top of an earlier $450M, so while that was unrelated to US activities, increasing those may not be their highest prority!

The more Barclays pays in fines, the happier I'll be. 

They've taken so much money from me in interest (from being young and dumb) and they don't even care. 

Seriously, I've given them so much in swipe fees and interest, but they can't even lower the APR of my card down from 23.24% on a card that didn't even give me rewards, even though it's closed now. In other words, they've given me absolutely nothing and have been a completely worthless card company. 

You do not see any of your personal choices in that scenario?  Hum?

Signature needs updating
Message 38 of 93
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

I would tend to agree with the title of the thread. I've had my rewards card now for a couple of years and thought about looking for a different product especially since my credit has gotten significantly better. Nothing tempted me at all. I think the cash+ or the rewards are one of the two best cards they have, for me at least. The niche cards aren't tempting. So there's something for everyone, but I don't think they offer close to what some other companies do. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 39 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a coincidence that I just found this thread. I just looked on their credit card site last week to see if there were any interesting / more viable offerings to PC my Rewards card to. I was disappointed to see none.

I originally had the Arrival+ and kept it for 2 years till the nerf bat came around. The lower rewards rate (5% instead of 10%) and the increased redemption threshold drove me to PC to my current Rewards.

Regardless, I am cheering for Barclay to come up with something - any competition in this space is good for us consumers.
Message 40 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.