Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay points redemption clarification

tag
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

Barclay points redemption clarification

What is the difference? Either way you choose it would seem it's just a statement credit.

You can use your points to: (a) pay yourself back as a statement credit for purchases made within the last 90 days, (b) redeem for a cash back statement credit

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay points redemption clarification

The rate to exchange cash back is lower than for travel statement redemption. You can find those terms in your agreement with the bank.

Message 2 of 7
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The rate to exchange cash back is lower than for travel statement redemption. You can find those terms in your agreement with the bank.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm referring to their Rewards and Sallie Mae cards that are only cashback cards.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, that I don't know. I thought you were talking about Baclay Arrival.

Message 4 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

To me it sounds like one is a "purchase eraser" where you can "erase"/credit a specific purchase in the past 90 days. Otherwise, you just take a generic statement credit towards your overall balance. The "purchase eraser" is just a psychological thing, really. You're getting the same value either way.

Message 5 of 7
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

To me it sounds like one is a "purchase eraser" where you can "erase"/credit a specific purchase in the past 90 days. Otherwise, you just take a generic statement credit towards your overall balance. The "purchase eraser" is just a psychological thing, really. You're getting the same value either way.

Yeah that does seem to be the case. Today i clicked on redeem for the other option and it was just that, select a purchase and have it "erased".  I've always just used the statement credit and it got me wondering if there was any benefit to the other. Doesn't seem to be and seems silly to have two options like that when you can just do a statement credit for any amount up to your amount of points.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if this is true, but I have heard somewhere on here that purchase eraser does not give you points on the purchases that you erase. Possibly that could be a difference? I'm not sure since I rarely spend anything on my barclaycard - litterally I have like 17 points in a year. lol

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.