Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay problem.... help please!

tag
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

Barclay problem.... help please!

I have had my Rewards Mastercard three years as of September 26, 2016. My card expires at the end of this month and after several phone calls to a customer service manager, I was informed that my account will be reviewed on September 26 to determine if I am eligible to keep my account open and receive a new card with a new expiration date.

I thought they probably reviwed my account every time they did a SP on me and gave me my updated credit score.

This sounds a bit abnormal to me.....why not just shut me down if something in my profile is bothering them?

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay problem or concern

Their CSRs, on the few occasions I've called them in the last few years, have a tendency to just make stuff up when they don't know the answer to a question.

In contrast to the experiences of others, though, my one call to their underwriting department was quite painless.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 11
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Their CSRs, on the few occasions I've called them in the last few years, have a tendency to just make stuff up when they don't know the answer to a question.

In contrast to the experiences of others, though, my one call to their underwriting department was quite painless.

I agree that their credit analysts are excellent.  The csr manager I spoke to yesterday seemed to be knowledgeable and she overnighted me a new card that was supposed to have the new expiration date on it.  It was today that they told me about the anniversary review of my account. 

Message 3 of 11
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I would say you're over thinking things here.  If they want to break up then so be it but, usually cards come within a week or two of expiration.  I wouldn't put too much thought into it since you said you have a new card on the way from the manager.

Message 4 of 11
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

yeah,  the card came today but it still expires September 2016. That's where the account review comes in on Sept 26 apparently.  They won't send me one that has a new date. 

Message 5 of 11
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Oh, so they sent a duplicate then instead of a new issue?  That's interesting but, what else is in your collection currently and how much do you really value Barclay's?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anything changed in your profile, any new accounts/ inquiries? Do you use the Rewards card very often?

Sorry to hear this and I hope it works out well for you.

Message 7 of 11
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclay problem.... help please!

@IaBoy62 wrote:

I have had my Rewards Mastercard three years as of September 26, 2016. My card expires at the end of this month and after several phone calls to a customer service manager, I was informed that my account will be reviewed on September 26 to determine if I am eligible to keep my account open and receive a new card with a new expiration date.

I thought they probably reviwed my account every time they did a SP on me and gave me my updated credit score.

This sounds a bit abnormal to me.....why not just shut me down if something in my profile is bothering them?

Any thoughts?

This is very odd. I've never heard of a card's expiration date actually potentially being used by a lender as an true expiration of the credit relationship.

How is your overall credit health? Do you feel you'd be approved for their rewards card today if you didn't already have it? Have you ever missed payments or been overlimit with Barclays? How's your overall utilization and payment history with all lenders?

Since their review is barely a week away there isn't really that much you can do in such a short window to improve your chances...However, definitely pay down your Barclays card to a reasonable balance if at all possible. If you have any other credit cards with high balances that will report between now and the 26th, pay those down too. Obviously don't apply for any new credit between now and then or suddenly significantly increase your debt load on existing accounts. Essentially do everything possible in the (very) short-term to get your credit as healthy as you can.

However, as others inquired, would it be a serious problem if Barclays closed your account? Are they your main/only rewards card? Your highest limit card, etc? Just a favorite in general? I've never had a Barclays card personally, but from what I've seen on the forums, the Rewards card is rarely anyone's favorite. Barclays in general doesn't seem too popular around here, with the exception of the Sallie Mae card.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How's your repayment history on that card? Perfect?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope everything works out for you OP.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.